I'm infected with the modification fever!

RC-1140

09 Feb 2012, 23:39

Hi everybody,

today the G80-1000s I bought from Ascaii for the springs arrived, and I immediately started harvesting springs, and modding. The Keyboards I bought had MX Blues, as I wanted to perform a Ghetto Red mod on my G80-2551 (yup, that's right: no more vintage Blacks. But don't worry I've kept the springs ;-) ). So I was busy for the whole afternoon, opening switches, and exchanging springs. Most keys were pretty easy, but the function keys on my 2551 took very long, as they are Plate Mounted in contrary to the other keys which are PCB mounted. (I noticed that my soldering skills are as good as I remembered them, but my desoldering skills definitely need training) While modding I noticed some interesting things, which I never read about. At first: some of the keys on the G80-2551 aren't doubleshot apparently. (The ”Datenfreigabe“ key e.g.) Second: the Enter key and the function keys use some springs which are different from the other MX Black springs. They were a little more stiff (nearly unnoticable without using a rip-o-meter) and looked a little copperish. (see picture. The left one is an ordinary "Black" spring. The right one is a "Grey" spring from the space key on this keyboard. The one in the middle is the one in question)

While doing the mod I remembered somebody on geekhack talking about a "Ghetto Brown" mod, where he glued the moving, white part of a blue stem, so it wouldn't click. As I'm not really into blues, I just tried it out of curiosity (and because my mother wants a keyboard with browns...) and was surprised. The resulting switch didn't feel like a brown at all. Where a brown switch feels like a gritty linear, this ”Ghetto Brown“ feels more like a worn down, gritty ergoclear. Not really my taste, but maybe someone is interested in this. The only problem I see with these is, that the small gap between the blue and clear part of the stem gives it an additional bump.

Well, and then something else arrived at my door: an Alcatel/Acer KB-101A I bought on ebay.

I didn't really expect much from it, and I only paid like 10€ shipped, but the keyboard was in a pretty good condition (only some scratches on the edges) and the Switches feel absolutely amazing. I never really understood how to distinguish complicated, simplified or whatever ALPS switches there are, but to me with my limited knowledge they look like real complicated white clicky ALPS.

Whatever, but these switches are really great. Until now I never really cared about ALPS switches, but only about Cherry, but now it changed. These switches feel like a mixture between Ergoclears, Blues and Buckling Spring. They have a strong tactile bump with a crisp activation point, and a click that sounds much less plasticky than the one of Blues. I really fell in love with these little things. :)

Now i'm typing on my ghetto red G80-2551, and feel pretty content.

RC-1140

Icarium

10 Feb 2012, 00:16

Well, congrats. :)

Ascaii
The Beard

10 Feb 2012, 00:50

trust me, it gets worse...would you have use for a bunch of unsoldered orange alps by chance? Ive got other Alps-y stuff flying around here as well.

hasu

10 Feb 2012, 07:11

Yeah. Dirty and unlubed ALPS is just garbage.
Every old and used ALPS needs cleaning and lub. Fortunately ALPS switch is easy to open enclosure.

Edit: Ignore this. I missed completely context of discourse. What I wanted to mean is lubrication might be worth trying if you are disappointed at ALPS switch.
Last edited by hasu on 10 Feb 2012, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

RC-1140

10 Feb 2012, 13:57

Orange ALPS... They were tactile, nonclicky, right? How do they feel compared to other switches like Clears or Browns? Maybe I'm interested in them. Or the other "ALPS-y stuff”. Depends on the price, because originally I wanted to save some money for 7bit's Terminal F.

Ascaii
The Beard

10 Feb 2012, 18:34

Ive got a cheap white alps you could have for 20. The orange alps are tentatively sold.

7bit

10 Feb 2012, 22:12

RC-1140 wrote:...Depends on the price, because originally I wanted to save some money for 7bit's Terminal F.
Yeah, right better save your money for the Model F from my avatar!
:-)
Ascaii wrote:Ive got a cheap white alps you could have for 20. The orange alps are tentatively sold.
Better make it cheaper!!!
:evilgeek:

RC-1140

10 Feb 2012, 22:16

ahh, well, as I already have a keyboard with white alps, I don't really need it. But I just asked the friend I bought the third G80-1000 for because of it, and he's slightly interested. If you could PM me more information about it, maybe he would take it. But do you have any cheap tactile nonclicky ALPS? I already have too many keyboards with clicky switches.

Ascaii
The Beard

11 Feb 2012, 11:39

Nope, nothing at the moment, but ill keep my eyes open. Ill try to get some pictures of EVERYTHING I have for sale in the next week.

heliar

12 Feb 2012, 03:11

also regarding alps, you can mod them even if they are plate mounted, unlike the cherry. one fun board on the alps side is the Wang 724, keep an eye on them. I have removed the tactile leaf spring and installed heavier spring from AEK, it feels great. It is almost the same weight as IBM SSK and has dye sub caps.

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/index.php?mi ... rl=2271265

http://cryo.egloos.com/2629741

http://kbdholic.net/xe/kbd/2543

http://home.wxs.nl/~janvdv/wang/wangmuseum.htm
Last edited by heliar on 12 Feb 2012, 12:54, edited 2 times in total.

Icarium

12 Feb 2012, 03:17

GB?

Icarium

12 Feb 2012, 12:13

I would order some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wang-724-Keyboa ... 1e664b26e9
if other Germans are interested...

Half-Saint

15 Feb 2012, 07:15

That Wang looks nice. Is it ALPS?

litster

15 Feb 2012, 07:38

yes it is. I bought one from the seller on geekhack without through ebay and it was cheaper than that. It is very nice and NIB. Very solidly built.

xbb

16 Feb 2012, 02:07

litster wrote:yes it is. I bought one from the seller on geekhack without through ebay and it was cheaper than that. It is very nice and NIB. Very solidly built.
it has complicated black alps switches like the Dell keyboards right?

litster

16 Feb 2012, 02:41

I am ignorant with alps switches. How do I tell it has complicated alps? I have a Filco Zero. I can compare the two and see how they different.

heliar

16 Feb 2012, 02:59

xbb wrote:
litster wrote:yes it is. I bought one from the seller on geekhack without through ebay and it was cheaper than that. It is very nice and NIB. Very solidly built.
it has complicated black alps switches like the Dell keyboards right?

yes, they should have the same complicated black alps switch, although the wang is much better made the dell. for extra feedback, the wang has a speaker built in at the bottom, you have a tactile audio feedback as well, and it sounds more like a electronic typewriter if you see what I mean.

cactux

16 Feb 2012, 03:02

[Account and posts deleted on request]

heliar

16 Feb 2012, 03:23

some random shots of the wang keyboard, i was testing my new closeup adaptor.

I have removed the tactile leaf spring because I prefer linear action:

ripster

16 Feb 2012, 17:14

They were a little more stiff (nearly unnoticable without using a rip-o-meter) and looked a little copperish.
Hey, how come he can say that word and I can't?

Return to “Keyboards”