1984 IBM 5954339 Japanese Pingmaster

Sangdrax

10 Aug 2018, 16:16

Well, there have been hundreds of Pingmasters sold over the last few years, but I've only ever seen six or seven where people have posted their custom layouts. So I figured I'd post mine at least.

For anybody else making a Hasu convertor from a Chinese pro-micro clone and a DB9 connector, you need to bridge the J11 slot. (I think it's supposed to be occupied by a fuse in the BOM?) to get +5VDC from USB VCC to board VCC. I'm sure this has been posted a few places but I never ran into it except once when I was digging around the geekhack thread on it. Never hurts to say it again.

My old dropbox got full so I finally made a youtube channel just to host the typing demo stuff. Chyros's latest nice vid inspired me to get up off my butt and do it also clean up my storage. I'll try to go back and replace all the old typing demos in my other threads so they'll still work. There's also a couple new things in there like a typing demo of my 3278 Beamspring so people can hear what one sounds like with a plastic 3278 case since I think nobody has posted that before. Always nice to have a bigger base of info about.

Typing test with beeper on
Without

JP!

10 Aug 2018, 17:28

Sandrax, how did you make your key labels for the relegendable keys? Those look sharp.

Here is mine...except most of the Japanese keys have been swapped.
ping.jpg
ping.jpg (257.36 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

Sangdrax

10 Aug 2018, 18:30

Those Futaba caps? They look nice.

For the labels I just used http://keyboard-layout-editor.com/ to save the trouble of hunting down fonts and symbols and adjusting key sizes and things. Since it displays in vector despite png downloads being pretty compressed, you can take a high res screenshot and then just make the center the right size (11mmx11mm on relegendables) then print. I just used my color laser printer and some glossy white cardstock so the white and colors would be vivid.

Red_October

19 Aug 2018, 23:41

Just a quick note, it's not a DB9 connector, it's a DE9. The letter indicates the size of the shell. They run as follows:

DA15: common uses are the old Gameport and the old Mac video port.
DB25: old RS-232, Parallel port (when it's not a "Micro-ribbon/Centronics" connector)
DC37: external floppy drives, some implementations of SCSI.
DD50: "First Alternative" SCSI (SCSI has no recommended connectors, just "alternatives", and while this is the first, it's not at all common...)
DE9: later, limited RS-232, all kinds of other shit.
DF104: I have never seen one in the wild and don't know what might use one.

It's distressingly common to see them all called "DB-something", even by organizations that really should know better.

Return to “Keyboards”