Where to get rounded/tapered control keys? Help please!

cheater

22 Aug 2018, 19:57

Hi,
I have a Corsair K63 and the control keys are just a bit too high, and my hands keep on pressing down on them when in home position, which messes up my typing. I thought it would be great to find some custom keys. Where would I go to find keys that are a bit less high? I think I've seen some people with keys that were slanted. Also, many Logitech keyboards like the K200 and K120 have a rounded profile bottom row, and I believe I've seen some people talk about making keys like that, or maybe there existed a source already, but that was a couple years ago. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

The keyboard uses Cherry MX Red switches, but I'm not sure what other info one needs in order to find a key that fits. The key is 28 mm wide, and the shaft is right in the center. The edge at the bottom (from the back of the key to the front) is 12 mm which is too much, and the edge at the top is 9 mm.

If someone could help me with this, I would be very thankful, otherwise I might have to go back to my old membrane keyboard... this keyboard's high ctrl keys have me holding my wrists in a somewhat non-ergonomic position and it's already starting to create a little stiffness.

samuelcable

22 Aug 2018, 20:34

cheater wrote: Hi,
I have a Corsair K63 and the control keys are just a bit too high, and my hands keep on pressing down on them when in home position, which messes up my typing. I thought it would be great to find some custom keys. Where would I go to find keys that are a bit less high? I think I've seen some people with keys that were slanted. Also, many Logitech keyboards like the K200 and K120 have a rounded profile bottom row, and I believe I've seen some people talk about making keys like that, or maybe there existed a source already, but that was a couple years ago. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

The keyboard uses Cherry MX Red switches, but I'm not sure what other info one needs in order to find a key that fits. The key is 28 mm wide, and the shaft is right in the center. The edge at the bottom (from the back of the key to the front) is 12 mm which is too much, and the edge at the top is 9 mm.

If someone could help me with this, I would be very thankful, otherwise I might have to go back to my old membrane keyboard... this keyboard's high ctrl keys have me holding my wrists in a somewhat non-ergonomic position and it's already starting to create a little stiffness.
Mostly due to the bottom row of gaming boards it may be difficult to find proper replacement caps. I would recommend enjoypbt but there may be compatability issues

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Aug 2018, 21:25

Well Corsair has a non-standard bottom row so most aftermarket keys aren't compatible with Corsair. If you are wanting backlit keys, you just missed the buy on Massdrop for Tai Hao's set which is compatible but I don't know of any other sets that fit unless you order from China (I could help you with that). If you don't really care and just want keys that are compatible, you can order blanks from PMK, something like this.

cheater

22 Aug 2018, 22:03

Blaise170 wrote: Well Corsair has a non-standard bottom row so most aftermarket keys aren't compatible with Corsair. If you are wanting backlit keys, you just missed the buy on Massdrop for Tai Hao's set which is compatible but I don't know of any other sets that fit unless you order from China (I could help you with that). If you don't really care and just want keys that are compatible, you can order blanks from PMK, something like this.
Am I missing something? Those keys look like they're the same height as the keys I have already. I need keys that taper off (i.e. the front is lower than the back) or are rounded off (again, so the front is lower). The current ctrl key is too long and the palm of my hand keeps on pressing it all the time on its own.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

22 Aug 2018, 22:10

What are you wanting exactly? The one I linked is pretty standard for a keyboard key, even most rubber domes have it. Are you referring to the weird profile that some cheap OEM boards have like this?

okrutnik

22 Aug 2018, 22:27

cheater wrote: ... this keyboard's high ctrl keys have me holding my wrists in a somewhat non-ergonomic position and it's already starting to create a little stiffness.
Do you mean "feels comfortable" by "ergonomic"? The "official" ergonomic position is to keep your palms free floating well above the keyboard with elbows bent at 90 degrees, and not keeping your wrists on a wrist rest or God forbid on the desk. (And not using the flip-out feet). This is all to prevent your wrists from bending. I don't claim I always do this (I often use the wrist rest when not typing and just pressing some keys) and many desks are actually too high. But I don't see how high control keys could bother you in this position.

All in all, maybe buying or making a wrist rest would be an easier option for you than chasing down specific keycaps? I'm sorry if you already know all this, just thought about it when reading your comments.

Findecanor

23 Aug 2018, 00:16

cheater wrote: Where would I go to find keys that are a bit less high?
Either:
Get keys that are in "Cherry profile". (named so because those are what Cherry uses for their own keyboards)
or blank keys in Signature Plastics DCS profile.

Both are shorter than the "OEM profile" that Corsair is using. DCS is more slanted. Cherry profile have sharper edges at the bottom.
cheater wrote: Also, many Logitech keyboards like the K200 and K120 have a rounded profile bottom row, and I believe I've seen some people talk about making keys like that, or maybe there existed a source already, but that was a couple years ago. Has anyone got any suggestions please?
A "convex" profile like the space bar? No, I have not seen any. I have wanted keys like that for years.

The closest thing I have found is Signature Plastics G20 profile that are flat, slightly slanted, wider and with rounded edges.

cheater

23 Aug 2018, 13:23

Blaise170 wrote: What are you wanting exactly? The one I linked is pretty standard for a keyboard key, even most rubber domes have it. Are you referring to the weird profile that some cheap OEM boards have like this?

Yes, something like this would be good to have.

cheater

23 Aug 2018, 13:25

okrutnik wrote:
cheater wrote: ... this keyboard's high ctrl keys have me holding my wrists in a somewhat non-ergonomic position and it's already starting to create a little stiffness.
Do you mean "feels comfortable" by "ergonomic"? The "official" ergonomic position is to keep your palms free floating well above the keyboard with elbows bent at 90 degrees, and not keeping your wrists on a wrist rest or God forbid on the desk. (And not using the flip-out feet). This is all to prevent your wrists from bending. I don't claim I always do this (I often use the wrist rest when not typing and just pressing some keys) and many desks are actually too high. But I don't see how high control keys could bother you in this position.

All in all, maybe buying or making a wrist rest would be an easier option for you than chasing down specific keycaps? I'm sorry if you already know all this, just thought about it when reading your comments.
Not really an option, the keyboard is heavy and cumbersome enough as it is, and i keep it in my lap, so i have to take it off and put it in my lap every time i stand up. One day I'll have an ergodox of some sort but that time is not here yet. And yes, I mean "ergonomic" not "feels comfortable". The long control keys have me twisting my wrists inside (so the outer part of the wrist is higher) which is the opposite of ergonomic.

cheater

23 Aug 2018, 13:27

Findecanor wrote:
Either:
Get keys that are in "Cherry profile". (named so because those are what Cherry uses for their own keyboards)

Both are shorter than the "OEM profile" that Corsair is using. DCS is more slanted. Cherry profile have sharper edges at the bottom.
cheater wrote: Also, many Logitech keyboards like the K200 and K120 have a rounded profile bottom row, and I believe I've seen some people talk about making keys like that, or maybe there existed a source already, but that was a couple years ago. Has anyone got any suggestions please?
A "convex" profile like the space bar? No, I have not seen any. I have wanted keys like that for years.

The closest thing I have found is Signature Plastics G20 profile that are flat, slightly slanted, wider and with rounded edges.
For those keys, can you please tell me the height from base of key to top of the bottom edge? i.e. if you look at the key from the side, the max height.

cheater

23 Aug 2018, 16:54

As it turns out, if I turn the ctrl keys upside down, they're less in the way. I'll try that for some time and see how that works.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Aug 2018, 16:56

That's something that people do with their bottom rows - flip them. I can't stand it, but then, to each their own.

cheater

23 Aug 2018, 17:10

cheater wrote: As it turns out, if I turn the ctrl keys upside down, they're less in the way. I'll try that for some time and see how that works.
I wonder if that's what's happening in this keyboard? https://imgur.com/51uoUBX

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 Aug 2018, 17:25

That's exactly the case.

Findecanor

23 Aug 2018, 20:40

cheater wrote:
Findecanor wrote:
Either:
For those keys, can you please tell me the height from base of key to top of the bottom edge? i.e. if you look at the key from the side, the max height.
Check this picture in the Wiki. It shows bottom row keys of Cherry and OEM profiles.
SP DCS which is more slanted has a front edge almost as high as the front edge of the OEM key.

cheater

24 Aug 2018, 04:44

Findecanor wrote: Check this picture in the Wiki. It shows bottom row keys of Cherry and OEM profiles.
SP DCS which is more slanted has a front edge almost as high as the front edge of the OEM key.
Thanks, that image explained it well. So I guess I want either the Cherry or SP DCS keys. Is there a good place to get them in Europe? The hassle with customs where I am is just... pretty bad.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

24 Aug 2018, 05:57

Old Cherry boards are common in Europe as Cherry is based in Germany. If you want just a few keys from SP, I can forward them to you from the US so that you don't have to deal with customs, but shipping might be prohibitive. I'd think you can find a decent Cherry G80 or G81 with the keys you want over there for cheaper than just getting a keyset.

cheater

26 Aug 2018, 01:55

Blaise170 wrote: Old Cherry boards are common in Europe as Cherry is based in Germany. If you want just a few keys from SP, I can forward them to you from the US so that you don't have to deal with customs, but shipping might be prohibitive. I'd think you can find a decent Cherry G80 or G81 with the keys you want over there for cheaper than just getting a keyset.
Hmm, is there really no place in Europe that sells keycaps?

Return to “Keyboards”