KBParadise V80MTS-Q (Matias Quiet Click) review (+ AppleDesign caps)

Darkshado

02 Sep 2018, 06:55

Hello everyone,

I had wanted an ISO layout Alps TKL board for some time and I liked the Matias Quiet Click Tactile when I got to try them at a meetup some time ago. Found out about this (new?) model a few weeks ago and decided to get one.

TL;DR - I like it, you probably will if you enjoy Matias Quiet Click or SKCM Dampened Cream switches.
Keyboard with original keycaps
Keyboard with original keycaps
2018-08-31 21.34.56.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 2667 times
Pros:
  • A "standard" layout TKL, instead of the oddball one of Matias's own Mini Quiet Pro
  • Decent case build quality with a matte finish, doesn't flex or creak
  • Removable, braided USB cable
  • Three cable routing options: rear centre, left and right sides
  • Nicely grippy anti-skid pads underneath
  • Factory lubed tactile leaves
  • OEM profile keycaps; KBParadise's "Vintage" colorway shouldn't clash too badly with many other caps sets if you decide to mix and match
  • N-key rollover
Cons:
  • Thin ABS caps
  • Unlubed stabilizers, and no lube in the box.
  • Mini-USB B, would have preferred Micro-B or C at this point in time
  • Incorrect instruction leaflet in the box
  • Additional cable routing options for rear left and right would have been nice to have
More photos:
Spoiler:
The box:
Box
Box
2018-08-31 21.31.49.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Box label
Box label
2018-08-31 21.32.05.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
USB cable and instruction leaflet
USB cable and instruction leaflet
2018-08-31 21.34.46.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Ahem... those aren't MX, it's not a backlit model, keycaps haven't been lasered.
Escape key switch
Escape key switch
2018-08-31 21.48.55.jpg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Stabilizers rattled too much to my liking, fixed with the application of a suitable lubricant.
No keycaps
No keycaps
2018-08-31 23.17.40.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Spacebar uses Cherry-mount Costar stabilisers, the rest are Alps style. The plate has provisions to support another style of spacebar with the two other stabilizer mounting holes.
No keycaps - angled shot
No keycaps - angled shot
2018-08-31 23.18.06.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
No keycaps - Left side
No keycaps - Left side
2018-08-31 23.18.17.jpg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
No keycaps - Right side
No keycaps - Right side
2018-08-31 23.18.34.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Stabilizers closeup
Stabilizers closeup
2018-08-31 23.18.53.jpg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Spacebar stabilizer closeup
Spacebar stabilizer closeup
2018-08-31 23.19.00.jpg (3.51 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
The switch for the D key squeaked slightly for some reason... Didn't notice while testing before swapping the caps (the original ones held on tightly) so I might be at fault here. In any case, that gave me reason to open it and make sure everything was seated properly, problem fixed after reassembly.
Factory-lubed tactile leaf
Factory-lubed tactile leaf
2018-09-01 00.02.52.jpg (166 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Turns out that the tactile leaves are factory lubed, interesting.
I bought a pair of rubber dome AppleDesign boards as donors for their PBT caps a few weeks ago:
Spoiler:
Keycap comparison - Angled shot
Keycap comparison - Angled shot
2018-08-31 21.49.06.jpg (598.7 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Keycap comparison - Underside 1
Keycap comparison - Underside 1
2018-08-31 21.49.48.jpg (658.43 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Keycap comparison - Underside 2
Keycap comparison - Underside 2
2018-08-31 21.50.03.jpg (586.66 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
In my opinion, the thicker caps make the switches sound better.
Long story short, I'm not aware of *any* Alps sets in my usual layout so I had to improvise a bit:
With adjustments for layout
With adjustments for layout
2018-09-01 00.15.02.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Questions? Comments?

Regards,

Darkshado
Last edited by Darkshado on 20 Jun 2019, 05:59, edited 2 times in total.

Elrick

02 Sep 2018, 09:01

Good review, just wish that KBParadise would eventually build a full 104 keyed model.

Then they can install their Tai Hao key-sets easily. We really do need a full sized keyboard from them within 2018 and beyond.

obfuscated

02 Sep 2018, 10:35

Can you tell me the model number of the Apple Design keyboard? The one in the wiki doesn't have Alps style caps.

Hypersphere

02 Sep 2018, 20:45

Thanks for the review. I like KBP boards. The company has been rather adventurous in introducing many models with some rather different switch choices, such as Matias and Fukka.

Apple (and SGI) Alps-mount caps are high-quality. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of Italic font on keycaps.

BTW, KBP and their vendors have not well advertised the fact that their "Type R" V60 keyboards are completely programmable. This is a big deal, as this makes them more versatile than the Poker II or Pok3r, which are only partially programmable and apparently incapable of programming the right Ctrl, which I like to use as a Fn key.

Although I am not a fan of Cherry mx or clones, I would like to see KBP produce V60R boards with silent black switches.

Have they conquered the chattering problem that has plagued Matias-switch (especially the "Quiet Click" [tactile]) keyboards in the past? I have a KBP V60 with Matias QC switches. It was chatter-free when I got it, but after sitting in the box for a while, my recent testing found chattering in the "Y" key. Some people say this is because of the lube, and that it can be repaired by opening the switch and cleaning the lube off the leaves.

Darkshado

02 Sep 2018, 23:38

obfuscated wrote: Can you tell me the model number of the Apple Design keyboard? The one in the wiki doesn't have Alps style caps.
I based myself on information in this thread: photos-f62/apple-design-keyboard-made-b ... t7400.html

Seems all four known variants are marked model M2980. The earlier Alps-made ones from Mexico and Czech Republic are the ones you're looking for because they have the Alps-mount caps. Mexican units have pad printed ABS, Czech ones dye-sub PBT.
Hypersphere wrote: Thanks for the review. I like KBP boards. The company has been rather adventurous in introducing many models with some rather different switch choices, such as Matias and Fukka.

Apple (and SGI) Alps-mount caps are high-quality. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of Italic font on keycaps.

BTW, KBP and their vendors have not well advertised the fact that their "Type R" V60 keyboards are completely programmable. This is a big deal, as this makes them more versatile than the Poker II or Pok3r, which are only partially programmable and apparently incapable of programming the right Ctrl, which I like to use as a Fn key.

Although I am not a fan of Cherry mx or clones, I would like to see KBP produce V60R boards with silent black switches.

Have they conquered the chattering problem that has plagued Matias-switch (especially the "Quiet Click" [tactile]) keyboards in the past? I have a KBP V60 with Matias QC switches. It was chatter-free when I got it, but after sitting in the box for a while, my recent testing found chattering in the "Y" key. Some people say this is because of the lube, and that it can be repaired by opening the switch and cleaning the lube off the leaves.
I don't care much for the italic font or the homing bumps on D and K either, but they're what's available.

Too early to tell as far as chatter goes. (When you left the board sitting in its box, was it laying flat or on a side?)

Edit: I've improved the AppleDesign Keyboard wiki article with additional information and photos.

Update, for the record: a few weeks in, the R key on my V80 did start chattering after playing a fighting game using it, opened the switch and cleaned the contacts with a drop of isopropyl alcohol, hasn't reoccurred since, nor have other keys exhibited the same problem yet. I wonder if this might be caused by lubricant splattering inside the switch and affecting the plates...
Last edited by Darkshado on 07 Nov 2018, 07:29, edited 2 times in total.

Hypersphere

03 Sep 2018, 19:09

@Darkshado: The box was lying flat. However, now the chatter is gone after exercising the board a little.

All this prompted me to dig out my Matias hybrid. I am typing on it now. This is a "top mod" of a V60 Matias click keyboard with springs, sliders, and top housings from blue Alps switches. The hybridized board is considerably quieter than the Matias original. The sound and feel are much closer to blue Alps than Matias click.

I have also paired this with my Hasu USB-USB converter so that I can enjoy my favorite layout -- that of an HHKB. Of course, with the Hasu converter, you can create any layout you like.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to my Matias mod thread:

keyboards-f2/matias-switches-t14985.html

Return to “Keyboards”