IBM 6112883 Relegendable Keycaps; Need Help

Phulax

06 Sep 2018, 16:10

Hello,

I recently bought an IBM 6112883 and I would like to use the relegendable keycaps, however I have never done such a thing. I have tried fiddling around in Photoshop, but I cannot figure out a good way to make the relegendable keycaps, and ensure that all of them are the same size (when I print them on paper). I have measured the key below the transparent keycap to be roughly 1.10 x 1.10 cm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Muirium
µ

06 Sep 2018, 16:35

People do insert their own legends, so someone will know.

I’d just try a test range of text sizes, well spaced apart, and see what works best. Same for bold vs. regular (or the myriad of choices in between, if Photoshop will let you). Just make sure you’re using Helvetica! And have some fun with scissors.

Chyros

06 Sep 2018, 18:05

I used a different program, but what I did was first to print a sheet with a whole bunch of squares of different sized (wrote the size inside them), then cut them out, and see which one fits best. Then make all the icons in squares of that size.

dokyun

06 Sep 2018, 18:30

I made a stencil using some backing board, cutting it with an exacto knife until it was small enough to fit. Then i printed out some labels made in Inkscape and cut them to the stencil~

snufflecat

06 Sep 2018, 21:18

I bet there's print-on-demand-stores online where you can buy custom printed and cut pieces for projects like this.

Sangdrax

06 Sep 2018, 23:05

Just use this to make the keys keyboard-layout-editor.com.

Loads of colors and symbols for whatever you please.

Then make sure the 1U internal side stuff is 11mmx11mm when you print it out (any graphic program should show you this, or you can just measure the first print and adjust the print size by the percentage you need to increase or decrease to get to the right size). The second color shade provides a cutting guide. And here's an example of what I did just to show it does work keyboards-f2/1984-ibm-5954339-japanese- ... 19600.html

Phulax

09 Sep 2018, 18:43

Thanks for the suggestions! I have tried using the keyboard-layout-editor and I quite like it. I did a quick test print, and it seemed to work. Unfortunately my printer is quite horrible at printing images. So I'll have to use my university's printers.

ErgoMacros

19 Sep 2018, 02:52

Hi, I haven't tried these, yet, and not sure how close the sizes might be
but Hooleon has some die-cut paper you can print & insert.
https://shop.hooleon.com/collections/relegendable

Anyone have templates for these yet?

andrewjoy

19 Sep 2018, 10:44

Print them on clear plastic ( some lasers can do that) Then it does not matter if they are a bit off.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Sep 2018, 13:42

andrewjoy wrote: Print them on clear plastic ( some lasers can do that) Then it does not matter if they are a bit off.
You can buy transparency sheets for overhead projectors specially conceived for all kinds of printers.

Return to “Keyboards”