[Help] Which cable do I need?

xTek

10 Sep 2018, 09:09

Hey guys,

I've bought an Apple Adjustable Keyboard (with ALPS SKFS switches) in a mint condition at a local flea market for 2$.
An awesome find yes... but it came without the apple's ADB cable. Now I've tried to find the appropriate one, but I don't know what exactly do I need?

Also is there some sort of a converter for that keyboard, with which I would be able to connect it to modern machines?

I'd appreciate any answers :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Sep 2018, 13:35

Back in the day an S-Video cable made a convenient substitute for an ADB cable. Same pinout and connection.

You can try to find a Griffin iMate, or build a Hasu converter. Google around for TMK.

xTek

10 Sep 2018, 15:23

XMIT wrote: Back in the day an S-Video cable made a convenient substitute for an ADB cable. Same pinout and connection.
An S-Video cable? Ha! I knew I would need one, once in my lifetime! Now I'll just have to dig through all the old boxes to find one... I know I have it... Somewhere... :D
XMIT wrote: You can try to find a Griffin iMate, or build a Hasu converter. Google around for TMK.
Alright, thanks for the info! Appreciate it!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Sep 2018, 17:19

Yes most S-Video cables should work. I used to sell them as ADB replacements a few years ago but as it turns out, $0.40 profit is far too little to make on eBay.

xTek

10 Sep 2018, 21:17

Blaise170 wrote: Yes most S-Video cables should work. I used to sell them as ADB replacements a few years ago but as it turns out, $0.40 profit is far too little to make on eBay.
I found one, and yep, I can confirm, they are a perfect fit. Now I just need everything else... :D
Off to the converter hunting!

Darkshado

11 Sep 2018, 19:33

I've converted an AEK II using hasu's tmk on a Pro Micro clone, works quite well.

You could remove one end of the S-Video cable and solder that to your converter. Don't forget about strain relief!
Another way would be to use a panel mount S-Video connector; last but not least, an internal conversion if there's enough space in the case.

Return to “Keyboards”