Looking for "Futaba friendly" switches.

PlacaFromHell

16 Sep 2018, 01:24

Hi guys. About a year ago I got a Televideo TS 803H. The keyboard itself is beautyful, but uses crap Futaba MR switches. Scratchy, super heavy and short travel switches, they are horrid. My idea was take some SKCC switches to build a new board using the chassis and keycaps, but is a bit expensive, I also found SMK vintage linear clones on Ebay, but shipping kills my wallet considering that I need two batches to cover all the keyboard. Do someone has an idea of a kind of not so horrible switch that could be compatible or at least friendly with this keycaps? If it can be scrapped from other keyboards or machines, much better.

Last edited by PlacaFromHell on 16 Sep 2018, 08:09, edited 2 times in total.

Findecanor

16 Sep 2018, 06:46

I can't tell much about it if you don't post pictures on how the stems look like.
According to The Wiki, the Futaba MR-6C switch should have a cruciform mount that is arms at 4.0 and 4.7 mm respectively, and 1.2mm thick. Cherry MX is about 4.0 uniform and 1.2mm thick, i.e. slightly smaller on the vertical. I think that the keycaps for the switch in the wiki might therefore fit onto Cherry MX. Have you pulled a keycap and tried it on a Cherry MX switch?
... Or is the mount on your keyboard completely different?

PlacaFromHell

16 Sep 2018, 07:49

Yes, they fit, but the stems are bigger than normal Cherry sliders so it can't go down. I need a tall switch with a large slider and compatible mount.

Yep, is this one

Hak Foo

16 Sep 2018, 09:06

What's the matter with Alps SKCC? You could potentially source one of those cheap NOS Pingmasters and dissect it to get about 100 switches.

PlacaFromHell

16 Sep 2018, 09:20

I was trying to do that, but shipping to Argentina is quite expensive. I need something more common and scattered. I also found type 1 Mitsumi Standard Mechanical as an option, but don't know where to seach for it.

Sangdrax

16 Sep 2018, 11:02

You can get NOS Futaba MD's that should be a drop in replacement for cheap. They're still short throw and kinda heavy but new and very smooth. Should be about $15+shipping for enough for a whole board. And it's a straight upgrade. The old complicated linears are better than the MRs. https://www.electronicsurplus.com/futab ... kage-of-20

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2018, 11:07

Seconded. Those MDs are pretty decent. I was given a handful of new old stock switches, likely from that source, and they’re deliciously vintage, what with being so monumentally big! If your board can take them, do it!

PlacaFromHell

16 Sep 2018, 20:25

For now is the best option. They are dirt cheap. I have some MD's and they are much more good, but still kinda meh. My idea is replace the entire board, use the case and keycaps and change some things of the layout.

Sangdrax

16 Sep 2018, 21:30

The only thing I don't like about them is they activate too high up for my taste. It means someone with hammer fingers like me constantly makes typos on them. I did fully replace dirty MD's on a board with NOS awhile back though, and the difference was pretty impressive. I'd compare it to dirty vs. clean alps. The MD's seem to be dirt sensitive in the same way.

PlacaFromHell

17 Sep 2018, 01:15

Well, I'm that kind of typist with hammer fingers. Another option could be use 3d printed stem lifters and Cherry switches from Wyse keyboards but I'm afraid of the wobble.

abrahamstechnology

17 Sep 2018, 02:53

What about cutting the walls off of Box switches?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Sep 2018, 03:27

If you are interested in getting the switches from a Pingmaster, I could always desolder one for you and send you the switches?

PlacaFromHell

17 Sep 2018, 05:33

abrahamstechnology wrote: What about cutting the walls off of Box switches?
Should happen the same as with Cherry switches but I can use lifters anyway. Is the tactile brown good? They are very cheap.
Blaise170 wrote: If you are interested in getting the switches from a Pingmaster, I could always desolder one for you and send you the switches?
I discovered that one isn't suficient but if you don't mind I'll keep that offer :lol:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 Sep 2018, 11:35

It would only theoretically work with first gen box switches too, something to consider. Feel free to keep that offer and just message me in the future if you decide you want one (or a few).

Sangdrax

17 Sep 2018, 11:52

Honestly, looking at layouts, going that route, it's probably smarter to just stick the Futaba caps on the Pingmaster. JP!'s looks real nice that way.

PlacaFromHell

18 Sep 2018, 00:53

I'ts a cool idea but I preffer the Televideo layout. A member from my country has some SMK vintage linear switches that should work fine with this project, so this is starting to look well.

spongebob1981

19 Sep 2018, 15:27

And here it is. Dirty AF, sorry, I found it that way and haven't got to restore it yet.
Foto 18-9-18 18 12 07.jpg
Foto 18-9-18 18 12 07.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 5037 times
Foto 18-9-18 18 14 12.jpg
Foto 18-9-18 18 14 12.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5037 times
Foto 18-9-18 18 13 03.jpg
Foto 18-9-18 18 13 03.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5037 times
Foto 18-9-18 18 12 44.jpg
Foto 18-9-18 18 12 44.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 5037 times
Foto 18-9-18 18 15 18.jpg
Foto 18-9-18 18 15 18.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 5037 times
Cable was cut before I got it. Switches are SMK clones AFAIK, linear, a tad scratchy, and quite pingy. Space bar works well, it's the only stabilized key.

It used to be on a government facility, thus the neglect and the stickers over the keys (much easier than to remember what does each one :lol:

PlacaFromHell

19 Sep 2018, 19:27

Looks a lot like my new XT, maybe even the case could be compatible, so you gave me two reasons to buy this thing. If you found one, should be more out there, AND with more switches to fill the entire board 8-)

PlacaFromHell

28 Oct 2018, 02:43

GUYS GUYS GUYS! I GOT SOMETHING AWESOME!

Just look at this, also I have another on sight 8-) And just for a buck

Keycaps fit awesome!

John Doe

07 Jun 2021, 16:08

How did the result go finally? Do the skff swithes perfect fit the Futaba pcb and plate? Very curious. :D

PlacaFromHell

07 Jun 2021, 22:43

John Doe wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 16:08
How did the result go finally? Do the skff swithes perfect fit the Futaba pcb and plate? Very curious. :D
A long time passed, lel. They do fit in the PCB, but not in the plate, which by the way is now part of my microwave. I wanted to print a plate for this build but it was expensive as fuck. I don't think SKFF switches are worth enough for it, maybe some keycap raisers and a bunch of MX blacks will end there. At some point this keyboard will be reassembled, I just don't know when.

P.S.: I'm also retarded, as the plate could be mounted ON the switches and not between them, but it got scrapped by my family and the remaining pieces, as I said, ended being part of my microwave.

Return to “Keyboards”