xwhatsit Beamspring and Lock LED wiring - help required

darkcruix

17 Sep 2018, 09:11

I want to add a lock LED and need some guidance on the wiring.
Actually, the problem I would like to solve is to have an indicator whenever I press the select button for Fn Layer 2, that it is active. Obviously, A Num Lock LED activation would help me also, as I could create a Macro that toggles both.
Anyway, before I blindly start attaching LEDs to the PINs of the extension header, I want to check with you folks who have more knowledge around this.
IMG_7607.jpg
IMG_7607.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1978 times

Sangdrax

17 Sep 2018, 11:48

To do that on an xwhatsit, you need to use the unused pins in the expansion header, which means you're going to need to muck up that pretty connector to the solenoid board. The two LED's are pins 3 and 5 as you can see here. Those pins are +

You'll also need current limiter resistors for the LED's, 220 ohm 'ish for a normal red LED IIRC. Just Ohm law out 15-20mA with whatever the voltage drop is for the thing.

So you need to connect a circuit that looks like this. 3>resistor>LED>ground. I'm pretty sure it's 3. I can't find the file. Might be pin 5. You won't hurt anything either way. If it doesn't work on one, try the other.

You can't swap out what the LED's do without adjusting the code itself. Also, pretty sure you only get 1 LED with xwhatsit and the ability to make it any of the 3 standard locklights. DMA capsense gets you 2 though. Probably more and customization theoretically, but DMA would have to mod the Flight Controller options and the number of Exp pins.

darkcruix

17 Sep 2018, 14:44

Thanks a mil - I could get it working with CAPS LOCK, but the other ones are having issues (I assume this is due to the fact that I am using them on a Mac and they don't properly deal with Scrl Lk and Num Lk).
I have to find a way to utilize Pin 5 and Fn of some sort to get it lighting up when I switch to a different layer.

Sangdrax

17 Sep 2018, 16:57

Yeah, that will take some coding, which is not my strong suit. xwhatsit is open source though IIRC so it should be possible. DMA could probably help directly with his own stuff, but that would require a new controller.

darkcruix

17 Sep 2018, 18:18

Sangdrax wrote: Yeah, that will take some coding, which is not my strong suit. xwhatsit is open source though IIRC so it should be possible. DMA could probably help directly with his own stuff, but that would require a new controller.
Thanks a mil - I will look into the code and see how the Lock lights are implemented. Maybe I can simply "break" the communication with the computer and make a status communication possible ... When I get somewhere, I will update this thread.

17 Sep 2018, 22:51

Tom posted long ago LEDs + buzzer were possible with code changes long ago, not sure about solenoid : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58 ... msg1505773

Return to “Keyboards”