Trying to convert an old keyboard and could use a hand

Diskmikey

17 Sep 2018, 18:04

I am working on a project that is bringing an old Grid systems computer into the 20th century. What we are doing is keeping the computer looking just like the old Grid systems computer, but replacing the guts with a a more modern system. We have replaced everything (motherboard, HD, screen) and it still looks like the original (until you open it, or turn it on) but we would love to be able to use the original keyboard so that we stay with the project concept. I grabbed a thread from here titled I made my own keyboard from scratch, and with a little tweaking I figured I could port the original keybord over to usb using the Teensy 2++. I mapped the switches on the original board and wired up the Teensy per the instructions, however, after changing the code (downloaded from github, the tmk_keyboard project) when I try to compile it, I get pages and pages of errors...and they have nothing to do with the changes I made to the key map, they are weird errors happening in read only files that are located in the /usr area...(compiling in Linux...much easier so I'm told). If I were to send someone the files with the keymap changes, could someone see if it would compile for you?

Thank in advance for taking the time to review the post.

Sincerely,
someone in over his head...;)

swampangel

17 Sep 2018, 19:04

We just worked through a similar problem over in keyboards-f2/help-converting-pingmaster-t19770.html

Key takeaways:

1. most guides are written for the teensy2.0, but the teensy++2.0 uses a different cpu. You'll have to edit your Makefiles accordingly.

2. start with the "onekey" firmware inside the tmk project and make sure you can compile/flash/use that first; it has few dependencies. This will help ensure your whole toolchain is working like you want.

For what it's worth, I was able to build tmk in Windows without *too* much trouble by installing the avr compiler tools and the MinGW shell (if you've used Git for Windows this will be familiar to you). I should write up the instructions; there's a benefit to using the OS you are most comfortable with.

See if you can get the onekey firmware to compile and work, and let us know. :)

Diskmikey

18 Sep 2018, 19:14

Good to know , thank you so much

kokokoy

19 Sep 2018, 03:50

If you don’t need complicated key mapping then you can use these:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com - draw your layout
https://www.kbfirmware.com - load the source layout above or create one out, assign controller pin, plot your col and row matrix, map keys, compile, download the firmware
Qmk toolbox - upload the hex

Return to “Keyboards”