Matias Mini Quiet Pro: what's it like to live with?

squizzler

27 Dec 2018, 18:21

I have a KB Paradise V80 with Matias Quiet click switch. Like the OP I had issues with bounce or "chatter". I have notified Keyboard Co about the problem and they suggested the following, which seems to have worked so far. I would have thought it better to improve the debounce circuit: this is from my perspective as a non video gamer, so I don't need to fire out keystrokes dozens of times a second. I can only assume it is for video games they don't change to more effective debounce. Anyway here is the recommended technique, which I guess must work by grinding the contacts against each other to remove any oxidisation or dirt that gives bad contact:
Sorry to hear you're having problems, I would fold the keyboards legs
away and try giving the key a good massage.

Press the key down and push the key firmly towards the back of the
keyboard then towards the front, then side to side, also do this in
circular motion, do this a lot.

If that doesn't help you could try removing the keytop and pushing it
back on, to remove the keytop use a keypuller or apply equal upwards
pressure to both sides of the keytop, I would use 2 butter knives or
flat head screw drivers, the keytop should pop off, they are quite
stiff.

Once off just push it back on.

Muirium
µ

27 Dec 2018, 19:20

Related:
Inxie wrote: I have a Matias Tactile Pro from 2012, it failed in 2013, the company would not honor any warranty and replace it. It had massive key chatter issues. This was their response:

Rather unprofessional, right? Anyway, this is how the keyboard operates in 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VdfoNXeAFs

If it hasn't failed yet, it very likely will, and will probably get this bad. In this case, nearly every key has this issue, and I will tell you, I baby my keyboards, covering them when not in use, cleaning monthly. Yea, and that response from Matias, absolutely horrible and unprofessional, and rude mind you, treating me like some idiot. No, we buy mechanical keyboards because they are in fact durable, older mechanicals never had any of these issues.
Ouch. Defective as sold. And this is what passes for fancy mechanical keyboards nowadays?

All we can do is refuse to settle for this bull crap, and make sure people hear about it.

I’ve got an awful feeling people fall for the marketing, suffer the *inevitable failure* of their Matias keyboard, and shrug off mechanicals forever. I likely would, if I bought some other “high end product” I knew little about, which failed so miserably, and was supported just as bad.

Chyros

27 Dec 2018, 19:34

Inxie wrote: I have a Matias Tactile Pro from 2012, it failed in 2013, the company would not honor any warranty and replace it. It had massive key chatter issues. This was their response:

Rather unprofessional, right? Anyway, this is how the keyboard operates in 2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VdfoNXeAFs

If it hasn't failed yet, it very likely will, and will probably get this bad. In this case, nearly every key has this issue, and I will tell you, I baby my keyboards, covering them when not in use, cleaning monthly. Yea, and that response from Matias, absolutely horrible and unprofessional, and rude mind you, treating me like some idiot. No, we buy mechanical keyboards because they are in fact durable, older mechanicals never had any of these issues.
That's terrible. I can't believe they would actually reply that.

Should the need arise, can I use that picture/conversation in one of my videos?

Inxie

27 Dec 2018, 19:35

Chyros wrote:

That's terrible. I can't believe they would actually reply that.

Should the need arise, can I use that picture/conversation in one of my videos?
You are more than welcome to use the screenshot. I'm subscribed to you, and enjoy your videos, in fact you are the one who taught me via your videos to click mod my AT101W, which I am now using primarily today rather than these other keyboards.

Return to “Keyboards”