Keyboard for gaming

Jason85

25 Sep 2018, 10:08

I‘m looking for a new keyboard, mainly for playing shooter games. Which one would you preefer? And how is it to play on a gamingboard like the razor orbweaver? Any experiences? Thinking about buying both, a normal keyboard and a gamingboard.

Thanks in advance

CeeSA

25 Sep 2018, 12:21

For gaming I like 84 keys keyboards. Compact, shortest key way as possible (even the F keys).
E.g. Keycool White Version 84 , Vortex Race 3

Orbweaver is nice for the matrix layout. I am not up to date wether the Razer Software is still mandotory running in the backround. That would be a downer for me.

You should think if you need programmability.
Everything > 6KRO is enough (at least for me).

vvp

26 Sep 2018, 07:48

I was playing o Kinesis Advatange even though it is not a gaming keyboard.
But it is comfortable if you do not mind remapping keys.

davkol

26 Sep 2018, 11:43

Just a piece of warning, the Razer Orbweaver is terrible quality: from switches to assembly to sticky rubber coating, and the sofware is extremely limited in a way (there's no on-board memory or advanced features in the firmware, only lighting, and then remapping is done is the operating system, for which Synapse is awful).

chuckdee

26 Sep 2018, 19:24

davkol wrote: Just a piece of warning, the Razer Orbweaver is terrible quality: from switches to assembly to sticky rubber coating, and the sofware is extremely limited in a way (there's no on-board memory or advanced features in the firmware, only lighting, and then remapping is done is the operating system, for which Synapse is awful).
That wasn't the experience that I had with it. I don't know if that changed with the cloud stuff, but it was pretty much the same as the G13. Of course, the reason that I'm on Logitech right now is because of that POS Synapse, so I'm not doubting your assertion that Synapse is awful.

davkol

26 Sep 2018, 20:33

Admittedly, it "requires" only Synapse 2 and not Synapse 3. That isn't that bad, but no software should be as bad as Synapse 3.

I get that the firmware is no QMK. Lacking even an on-board memory is harder to swallow, but okay; I hear that's been Razer's standard for many years now.

But the hardware is a steaming pile of garbage. I was willing to give Razer a chance… and it didn't go well. The old Nostromo (presumably still Belkin) is vastly superior, arguably including the rubber domes.

chuckdee

26 Sep 2018, 23:31

They have the razer where they just re-branded the Belkin- that's a workhorse. But yeah, no onboard memory is insane. I didn't have any problems with my hardware- it didn't feel as good as the G13, but it wasn't bad- just inferior.

Return to “Keyboards”