The SB147. A custom made 2 foot long monster with a complete build log

sealclubber

15 Oct 2018, 17:36

Obligatory picture first. Had a lot of fun making this bad boy. Customized 100% for myself, everything from the layout to the curve of the keycap profile. Hope you enjoy reading!

https://imgur.com/a/AalpV1r

Phenix
-p

15 Oct 2018, 19:24

this is a interesting build, kudo for your work!
Even the layout is somewhat decent, split spacebar is nice to use.
if you use the left spacebar for function think about ASDF for arrows, I love this setup myself

zrrion

16 Oct 2018, 00:43

I like the bigass seal key. Usually with modern boards all you see is a small seal key or no seal key at all so seeing such a large one warms my heart.

green-squid

16 Oct 2018, 15:59

Sealclubber, you're KILLING IT with these 3D print customs man!!!!!

That layout looks old school too, like a terminal board.

Engicoder

16 Oct 2018, 16:04

It's obvious a lot to time, effort and enthusiasm went into making this. It is quite a project. Have you thought about infilling the key cap negative legends with some type of filler, maybe epoxy or enamel paint?

depletedvespene

16 Oct 2018, 16:37

I can't wait to see that Tab key in action. :-)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Oct 2018, 17:00

Wow, that's truly unique! I love seeing projects like this.

Thank you for sharing the source files! I've wanted to get into 3d modeling to learn how to design a custom case. Maybe having a nice example like this will give me a good reference point to learn from.

Brb installing blender and pretending like I know what I'm doing.

sealclubber

16 Oct 2018, 19:53

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback :) Had a lot of fun building this and even more fun actually using it after all this time.
Engicoder wrote: It's obvious a lot to time, effort and enthusiasm went into making this. It is quite a project. Have you thought about infilling the key cap negative legends with some type of filler, maybe epoxy or enamel paint?
Actually had the same question on my reddit post. The best option would have been to print them with a dual extruder but sadly I don't have one. As for doing post processing with that idea never even occurred to me until it was suggested. I might look into it in the future.
depletedvespene wrote: I can't wait to see that Tab key in action. :-)
I may or may not have gotten that idea from you :)

Return to “Keyboards”