An unusual (vintage) NOS Tipro find...

Denis_HR

16 Oct 2018, 23:03

Hi everyone,
My first post here: I thought my today's find might interest some of you here...

Anyway, I came across a NOS Tipro programmable (industrial) keyboard, model T163 M1000, dated from back in 1995 :)
New old stock, never used, in original packaging and a diskette with DOS programs to program the keyboard.
Unfortunately the connector is the old DIN type, but it seems to work OK with my DIN - PS/2 connector cable. I just plugged it into my PS/2 computer connector, and I see there is "something" found... The keyboard, being new, has not been programmed, so no real results when pressing the keys.

Unfortunately, they (the seller I got this from) did not have the original transparent covers for the keys, so I had to buy a whole set of new(er) TIPRO ones, with transparent covers. The switches are Cherry blacks.

Now, this being ortholinear, I'm not sure I'll be able to use it "as is"; but just for the heck of it, I printed out the key labels and put them on (since these are relegendable, I can always change the layout, etc..), just to see how it would be to type on such a freaky keyboard.
In the end, it can be done (typing), but not very fast :)

I'm not sure what I'll do with it - I first need to find an old computer and try to program the keyboard.... I like the black Cherry switches, although I'm not sure if I'd like them for "real" typing. Perhaps better used for a macro pad or something. Oh, one more thing: this thing is *heavy* - I mean, for its size... A solid chunk of metal (upper bezel is plastic, but everything else is solid metal - which shows its intended use).

But, what is interesting is the fact that this keyboard can also be programmed "manually": you just insert another keyboard in the back (with DIN connector again, but, as it happens, I *do* have one ....) - so I might just try to program it "manually", since the diskette I got with it is dead (unreadable), anyway... I might also try with some of the TIPRO software from their archives, maybe I'll manage to find something usable...

In any case, an interesting find. It wasn't cheap, though.... got it from the local IT stuff wholesaler - this one still had the price tag of about €200, but I managed to reduce the price a bit.... Probably still paid too much. But what the heck, it's brand new, never used, and I'll still be able to use it, at least as a "macro" pad.

Anyway, a few photos for your viewing pleasure... A piece of history in rarely found (NOS) condition...
Attachments
Vintage NOS!
Vintage NOS!
IMG_20181016_160042.jpg (88.75 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Brand new - never used :)
Brand new - never used :)
IMG_20181016_224615.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
With new keycaps and key labels
With new keycaps and key labels
IMG_20181016_224504.jpg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Original warranty card from 1995 (Sept. 27, 1995) :)
Original warranty card from 1995 (Sept. 27, 1995) :)
IMG_20181016_151404.jpg (131.15 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Original manual and *diskette* (!)
Original manual and *diskette* (!)
IMG_20181016_151343.jpg (149.96 KiB) Viewed 3131 times

Myoth

16 Oct 2018, 23:09

The Neanderthal Preonic :O

good find ! those are indeed not (if at all) common in NOS condition, amazing !!

p.s. : that keyboard on the manual looks familiar ;)

kakan

16 Oct 2018, 23:19

thats the badboy you need to turn up with for the next keyboard meetup and challange everyone ïn typeracer :lol:

Lanrefni

17 Oct 2018, 00:16

Try using WinToUsb to create a bootable copy of 32bit Windows 10 and then run Tipro's Changeme software to program it,that's what I had to with my 2005'ish board.

samuelcable

17 Oct 2018, 04:57

tipro stuff always interests me, i should get one one day.

Great find!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Oct 2018, 07:48

You bet such a thread would have attracted me :lol:
Denis_HR wrote: Hi everyone,
My first post here: I thought my today's find might interest some of you here... […]
Welcome on (key)board :mrgreen:
[…] Unfortunately, they (the seller I got this from) did not have the original transparent covers for the keys, so I had to buy a whole set of new(er) TIPRO ones, with transparent covers. […]
You should have asked me instead :lol:
[…] But, what is interesting is the fact that this keyboard can also be programmed "manually": you just insert another keyboard in the back […]
This is a feature Tipro keyboards have kept ever since (and as far as I am aware, it is a feature common to point of sale (POS) keyboards in general).
[…] Oh, one more thing: this thing is *heavy* - I mean, for its size... A solid chunk of metal (upper bezel is plastic, but everything else is solid metal - which shows its intended use). […]
Same applies to the Tipro MID range: solid, heavy stuff with a metal plate. The later KMX/Free range keyboards have a plastic bottom.
[…] I might just try to program it "manually", since the diskette I got with it is dead (unreadable), anyway... I might also try with some of the TIPRO software from their archives, maybe I'll manage to find something usable... […]
You seem to already have visited their website and found their old DOS software. If that doesn't work, don't hesitate to contact them, they have always been very responsive and helpful.
[…] Anyway, a few photos for your viewing pleasure... A piece of history in rarely found (NOS) condition...
A very nice find indeed, thanks for sharing!

Denis_HR

17 Oct 2018, 09:01

kbdfr wrote: You bet such a thread would have attracted me :lol:
A very nice find indeed, thanks for sharing!
Thought this one would interest you - I realized you are the local Tipro expert on the board :)

I'll see in the next few days whether I'll be able to program this to my liking...

BTW, as regards the transparent covers for the original keys (blanks, as shown in one of the photos), do you have any to spare, or know where I could find those?

TIA,

Denis

hansichen

17 Oct 2018, 10:26

I've never seen such an old tipro board, I only know the newer versions which are fairly common as pos boards. Nice find, especially in nos condition.

Denis_HR

18 Oct 2018, 13:09

An update regarding this curious find...

I managed to program this Tipro keboard/keypad using another old keyboard with DIN connector, basically following the instructions from the manual.
I.e.: press the key you want to program until it beeps, then enter "whatever" (either a key, key combo or some text) on the other keyboard connected to Tipro, and then again press the Tipro key being programmed. If the programming is successfull, the Tipro keyboard beeps three times.

In short, after doing this for my planned layout, I managed to program everything rather quickly and without any issues :)

However, using this as a "normal" keyboard is definitely *not* for me - I can't get used to ortholinear layout, and the keycaps aren't really meant for intensive typing. I could use other keycaps (e.g. from my other Cherry keyboards), but the layout is still the major problem for me.

It works fine on a modern PC using DIN to PS/2 adapter - and I've even tried adding a PS/2 to USB adapter and plugged it into USB port, and it works that way, too :) So, it's definitely usable on "modern" machines. It works this way (via 2 adapters) even when I plug it into my Thinkpad's X220 USB port - so, no issues there at all (see attached photo).

Anyway, my initial enthusiasm has dwindled somewhat. Given that I don't use any software where I need a lot of extra macro keys (don't do video editing, and I use Emacs relatively rarely...), I don't have any real use for this, except as a curiosity.... I thought about cannibalizing it for switches, perhaps also the case, but that would be a real shame, given its rarity and condition (unused NOS!).

So, if anyone is interested in this curiosity, I'm open for trades - I might also take in trade any "normal" mechanical keyboard with blue clicky switches (preferring TKL or smaller format, it must have separate cursor keys)...

In short, it's a NOS vintage Tipro from 1995 (with DIN connector) with original plain carboard package and papers (and non-functional diskette!), original Cherry black switches, programmable directly (via another connected DIN keyboard). It can also be programmed using a DOS program from the Tipro online software archive - I have yet to try that, since don't really have immediate access to a DOS machine :)
It comes with a full set of original keycaps (without clear plastic covers), and a full set of 60 brand new relegendable keycaps with clear plastic covers (see the attached photos - legends are just printed on small pieces of paper, NOT glued, so easily replaceable).

Either that, or I'll probably return it and take something else from the store where I bought it...

So, if anyone is interested, let me know - otherwise I'll return it in a couple of days...
I'm in Croatia, Europe, so keep that in mind - postage to remote corners of the world might cost a bit: this thing is heavy...

Regards,
Denis
Attachments
Works just fine with my Thinkpad - connected to USB via 2 adapters
Works just fine with my Thinkpad - connected to USB via 2 adapters
IMG_20181018_125158.jpg (76.6 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
Usable on USB port via 2 adapters
Usable on USB port via 2 adapters
IMG_20181018_125348.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 2906 times

samuelcable

18 Oct 2018, 13:12

I'd be interested in it but I'm in America. It'd make a nice macropad for me

Denis_HR

18 Oct 2018, 13:24

BTW, just for orientation: I've paid about €120 for the keyboard itself (bought it directly from the local IT wholesaler, who reduced the price for me from the listed price of about €160), plus about €35 for the new set of relegendable keycaps (60 pcs). So, I've sunk a total of €155 on this, which is quite a bit for a "display piece" :)
(The usual buyer's remorse strikes in....)

Denis_HR

18 Oct 2018, 13:48

Oh, and a thumbs up for the people at Tipro Slovenia: I've contacted them as soon as I got this keyboard (Tuesday), and today, two days later, I got a reply from them by email (I asked them for a software which I can use to program it, since the diskette that came with the keyboard was unreadable...).

This is what they said:

"You can program the keyboard in 2 ways:
1) Using the switch on the bottom side of the keyboard (NORM - PROG). The switch in the NORM position is for the normal use of the keyboard. For programming, you need a secondary keyboard which is to be plugged into the Tipro T163. Change the bottom switch to PROG position.Press the key on T163 which you want to define - the keyboard will beep once. On the secondary keyboard enter the contents by pressing key(s) as usual. Again press the key on the T163 to define finish of the sequence - the keyboard will beep three times. Then you can continue with the next key to be programmed. After finishing with all the keys you want to program, turn the bottom switch from the postion PROG to position NORM, so that the keyboard is ready for use.
2.) By using DOS software. There you first need to chose T163 keyboard, and then define the contents and upload it to the keyboard. You can download the software from our web page: http://www.tipro.net/shared_files/suppo ... 707gb1.zip
"

Really, this is great customer support from Tipro Slovenia - imagine, providing (quick) support for a product from more than 20 years ago!

Denis

Muirium
µ

18 Oct 2018, 17:02

That program switch is actually quite sneaky and definitely useful. Wish all programmable matrix boards could be as elegantly remapped as that. A good use for the AT passthrough.

Yavion

28 Jan 2019, 13:19

Hi. Sorry for the intrusion but I just wanna say hi to a fellow keyboard man from Croatia.

Poz! Super tipkovnica, ja sam upravo kupio neki polovni stari Tipro (bar mislim da je) i pokusavam ga osposobiti (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20863). Nadam se da cu uspjeti takodjer tako sa dva adaptera.

(I said that its a great keyboard and that Im trying an older model. We can continue in english, of course)

Return to “Keyboards”