IDENTIFY THE KEYSWITCH thread

User avatar
JP!

07 Aug 2020, 07:10

Japan never fails to impressive me with all of their unique vintage keyboards. I would love to hear a typing demo of these boards. At the very least get some pictures of the PCB if you do create a wiki post.

Findecanor

07 Aug 2020, 08:37

I've only got a single loose one of those Mitsumi's and liked its feel. Good to hear that someone likes them on keyboard. Thanks!
HerbalNekoTea wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 04:38
Finally, i would like to contribute to the wiki but i want to avoid dissasembling if needed and i don't have a while picture box for taking demo pix.
By all means, do add small bits of info if it is an addition. You'll never know when evern a tidbit could become useful to a collector.

HerbalNekoTea

07 Aug 2020, 18:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdIPCG4wp0o

Here's the sound test.

I still need some help to in a video call for how to open the switch so i can take pix and the community can name it. Was thinking of "Mitsumi Quality Vintage" but that probably a bad name. XD

PS : Tried to use the youtube balise but it was not working, probably my post number might be too low.

User avatar
OleVoip

07 Aug 2020, 23:03

AppleSud wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 10:35
Linear switches in a keyboard that was found lying outside a textile factory. The keyboard appears to have been part of a computerised weaving machine, and I can't find anything about the switches that it uses. Has anyone seen them before? They've got a pretty short travel, are fairly smooth, and the keycap also serves as the top housing
These are RAFI RS 76 M switches (mechanical, not: C, hall effect) with RAFI keycaps. RAFI is a German manufacturer and so is Stoll.
The bitpaired ISO layout is typical for European industrial keyboards from the 1970s/80s.

User avatar
hellothere

08 Aug 2020, 01:12

HerbalNekoTea wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 04:38
Hi guys, i am not a really a big forum poster but i am fairly actif in the discord. So i recently received my sixth Yahoo Auction Japan. I need to send my seventh one soon. So, this order had a lot of fucking switch who are fucking wild one, 2 unknow not on the wiki but one's from a know series, idk if that the one which was missing but we had the model number. The other one's a wild unknow one with super quality vintage board.

Here's the pix... of the less wild board...
Spoiler:
Image
Image

This is from a PC98 board, probably a missing Alps SKFR switch not in the wiki, but not the one missing on the wiki... Why, well, it's fucking the same than White... Well, why you ask, i also nailed that one.

Image

Yeah, kinda identical, otherwise, maybe a 10g difference that i cannot notice... Welp.

Image

Also super heavy variant for the Stop key.
I noticed that one of the keyboards was an NEC. Might these be a "square" variant on the NEC Oval? Either way, I'm sure they're nice switches.

HerbalNekoTea

08 Aug 2020, 05:44

hellothere wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 01:12
HerbalNekoTea wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 04:38
Hi guys, i am not a really a big forum poster but i am fairly actif in the discord. So i recently received my sixth Yahoo Auction Japan. I need to send my seventh one soon. So, this order had a lot of fucking switch who are fucking wild one, 2 unknow not on the wiki but one's from a know series, idk if that the one which was missing but we had the model number. The other one's a wild unknow one with super quality vintage board.

Here's the pix... of the less wild board...
Spoiler:
Image
Image

This is from a PC98 board, probably a missing Alps SKFR switch not in the wiki, but not the one missing on the wiki... Why, well, it's fucking the same than White... Well, why you ask, i also nailed that one.

Image

Yeah, kinda identical, otherwise, maybe a 10g difference that i cannot notice... Welp.

Image

Also super heavy variant for the Stop key.
I noticed that one of the keyboards was an NEC. Might these be a "square" variant on the NEC Oval? Either way, I'm sure they're nice switches.
Technically, Alps SKFR... but man... is Alps SKFR supposed to be mushy and "Like SKFR but Tall" being clicky and a travel style of IBM Model on your finger (but lighter)... So, i am curious if those are really SKFR because they kinda feel rubberish. I would not be surprise if Oval was a rebrand or redesign clone of SKFL and those SKFR are not SKFR but NEC's redesign or rebrand of them. Finally, it's probably like the SMK Vintage Linear Powder Blue Rebrand from NEC made by SMK in the early 80'S for the og PC88 Brown Board.

On discord, i am the crazy dude who list every decent listing on ebay and yahoo auction, i hunted almost everything i wanted from Japan (except those Chicklet Topre and other weight Stock Topre and a JIS HHKB and a JDL Topre), i already got 3 Topre and Stock, i would say the HHKB's the best one but with the BKE Dome Redux Heavy, it's the best of everything. If you got no money to buy Topre and invest in BKE Dome Redux, BTC Dome with Slider are way superior to Stock 45g Topre.

User avatar
JP!

09 Aug 2020, 06:26

So here is a rather interesting one. I know what it is but does anyone care to take a guess? If this stumps you guys I will provide more clues. :D Also, yes the keys are MX compatible.

s1.JPG
s1.JPG (362.21 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
s2.JPG
s2.JPG (69.8 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

09 Aug 2020, 06:30

JP! wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 06:26
So here is a rather interesting one. I know what it is but does anyone care to take a guess? If this stumps you guys I will provide more clues. :D Also, yes the keys are MX compatible.


s1.JPG

s2.JPG
Deyi clicky foam and foil. Sorry XD

User avatar
JP!

09 Aug 2020, 06:32

PlacaFromHell wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 06:30
JP! wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 06:26
So here is a rather interesting one. I know what it is but does anyone care to take a guess? If this stumps you guys I will provide more clues. :D Also, yes the keys are MX compatible.


s1.JPG

s2.JPG
Deyi clicky foam and foil. Sorry XD
:o :cry: That was too fast.

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

09 Aug 2020, 06:33

JP! wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 06:32
PlacaFromHell wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 06:30
JP! wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 06:26
So here is a rather interesting one. I know what it is but does anyone care to take a guess? If this stumps you guys I will provide more clues. :D Also, yes the keys are MX compatible.


s1.JPG

s2.JPG
Deyi clicky foam and foil. Sorry XD
:o :cry: That was too fast.
It's a very unique design, something rare but easy to remember.

SmallRedBoi

13 Aug 2020, 02:00

This keypad is from an old machining center (lagunamatic something). I pulled this when the machine was being scrapped over a year ago. The back of the board says keytronic but can't seem to find this sytle and it doesn't look like their foil style to me.
Attachments
116439487_233629861104838_7184291562493996839_n.jpg
116439487_233629861104838_7184291562493996839_n.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 1403 times

User avatar
Chyros

13 Aug 2020, 09:33

Looks like Micro Switch ST to me.

imdatperson

13 Aug 2020, 10:27

Chyros wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 09:33
Looks like Micro Switch ST to me.
I concur with Chyros- looks like Micro Switch ST with a sort of contamination shield over the switches.

SmallRedBoi

16 Aug 2020, 05:41

Thanks! Thats exactly what they are. Glad to have these identified!

HerbalNekoTea

17 Aug 2020, 02:36

Image
Image
Anyone recognize the switch ? It's from a typewriter.

4_404

17 Aug 2020, 04:28

HerbalNekoTea wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 02:36
Anyone recognize the switch ? It's from a typewriter.
SMK dome/spring & slider?

User avatar
PlacaFromHell

17 Aug 2020, 05:17

HerbalNekoTea wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 02:36
Image
Image
Anyone recognize the switch ? It's from a typewriter.
Fake Romer G, dunno the name.

User avatar
zrrion

17 Aug 2020, 05:33

its giving me an ALPS vibe, but thats mostly the caps TBH

4_404

17 Aug 2020, 05:41

zrrion wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 05:33
its giving me an ALPS vibe, but thats mostly the caps TBH
Caps look like SMK, see the keycap photo here wiki/SMK_inverse_cross_mount

edit: similar typewriter? viewtopic.php?t=17573
Last edited by 4_404 on 17 Aug 2020, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

HerbalNekoTea

17 Aug 2020, 05:57

wiki/SMK_spring_over_dome
They really look that one with the SMK proprietary mount... Hum... It's a Canon AP-160

User avatar
JP!

17 Aug 2020, 05:58

Here is a picture from my SMK Inverse Cross board
smk.jpg
smk.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
And one with SMK Spring over dome
smk2.jpg
smk2.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

User avatar
Chyros

17 Aug 2020, 09:30

That's the clicky version of the switch.

John Doe

20 Aug 2020, 17:06

Does anybody come across what this should be?
Thanks.
E1390542-B8CB-4E22-9F60-91E998FAC9CF.jpeg
E1390542-B8CB-4E22-9F60-91E998FAC9CF.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 901 times

User avatar
-Space-NATO-

22 Aug 2020, 02:28

Spoiler:
Image
Seems like alps.tw Type OD1 right?

User avatar
zrrion

22 Aug 2020, 02:53

Looks like some sort of KPT clone

Lekrafter

22 Aug 2020, 19:18

What is this?
Screenshot_20200822-131643_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200822-131643_eBay.jpg (31.84 KiB) Viewed 796 times

User avatar
hellothere

23 Aug 2020, 02:53

Keytronic is headquartered in Spokane. Doesn't look like foam and foil to me, tho.

Slom

23 Aug 2020, 07:36

Lekrafter wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 19:18
What is this?

Screenshot_20200822-131643_eBay.jpg
I'd put my money on some sort of Keytronic Magnetic Reed
wiki/Key_Tronic_magnetic_reed

User avatar
hellothere

23 Aug 2020, 20:43

Slom wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 07:36
Lekrafter wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 19:18
What is this?

Screenshot_20200822-131643_eBay.jpg
I'd put my money on some sort of Keytronic Magnetic Reed
wiki/Key_Tronic_magnetic_reed
I think that could be a winner!

User avatar
Polecat

01 Sep 2020, 05:48

Found these going through forty years of storage. No identification on the switches or caps. Switches are linear, very mushy. Black and white sliders feel the same. Caps are blank, and have what's almost an inverted Alps mount. I have about a dozen in total, and no clue what they are.
Attachments
mystery switch
mystery switch
IMG_7100.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 589 times

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”