A AT layout modelM

watchman

26 Oct 2018, 06:13

Model 4683 Using on the APOS, Not working on PC.
Contrllor repalced,works well now.
at1.jpg
at1.jpg (535.82 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
at2.jpg
at2.jpg (340.75 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
at3.jpg
at3.jpg (491.25 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

xxhellfirexx

26 Oct 2018, 06:42

From searching for the IBM 4683, I found these two things. I am really curious about the monitor.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71152.0
https://www.tumblr.com/search/ibm%204683

Cattus_D

26 Oct 2018, 08:30

Very cool! I'd never seen images of that board before. Thanks!

green-squid

26 Oct 2018, 17:05

want want waaant!!

zrrion

26 Oct 2018, 17:19

Those relegendable caps are desirable enough to make up for the small backspace! Love the board.

Engicoder

26 Oct 2018, 18:11

xxhellfirexx wrote: From searching for the IBM 4683, I found these two things. I am really curious about the monitor.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71152.0
https://www.tumblr.com/search/ibm%204683
The 4680 is a PC based family of Point Of Sale (POS) systems. It was big in the 80's and early 90's but replaced by 4690. Most of the keyboards were rubber dome, but this rare, early alpha numeric keyboard used Model M underpinnings. The 4683 terminals usually didn't have displays, just an LCD on the keyboard and 2x20 character display for the customer. The controller work station/servers for the backroom had monitors.

JP!

26 Oct 2018, 18:22

Great work bringing this back to life!

depletedvespene

26 Oct 2018, 21:27

Oh, my, congratulations on your excellent find! Quick questions...

The relegendable caps seem to be the same cheap, fragile yellowable caps that the F107 has. If you want to, see my post comparing those to the one Fentek still sells, and which are much better.

I can't help but wonder if in this unit, as in regular AT keyboards, the space bar can be replaced by 2 1.5U (Alt) plus a 7U space bar.

Could the controller be used to control that extra fourth light in a programmable fashion? (I'm cooking up possibilities for it already)

And that key slot on the right? Does it work? If not, could it be made to? (again, possibilities for it are being cooked up)

watchman

27 Oct 2018, 04:28

depletedvespene wrote: Oh, my, congratulations on your excellent find! Quick questions...

The relegendable caps seem to be the same cheap, fragile yellowable caps that the F107 has. If you want to, see my post comparing those to the one Fentek still sells, and which are much better.

I can't help but wonder if in this unit, as in regular AT keyboards, the space bar can be replaced by 2 1.5U (Alt) plus a 7U space bar.

Could the controller be used to control that extra fourth light in a programmable fashion? (I'm cooking up possibilities for it already)

And that key slot on the right? Does it work? If not, could it be made to? (again, possibilities for it are being cooked up)
I'm not really know about those key caps,I replaced with M's keycaps,it looks better now.
at4.jpg
at4.jpg (197.37 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
at5.jpg
at5.jpg (188.63 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
It seem could change the layout as Model F AT,but need a little surgeon.

The locker in the right was broken,That was a micro switch under the lock arm,I work as power lock.
at6.jpg
at6.jpg (694.41 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
I use Soarer's controller,It just handle 3 of light,the fourth light mark power,which directly connect to internal LED.

Those keyboard was made in Canada?
AT7.jpg
AT7.jpg (605.16 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Key feels similarly as SSK,typing lighter and crisp. I got it just under 25 USD makes it very valuable(even cheaper than normal M).

I decide make a customize PCB which can quickly switch the original monster huge controller.
at8.jpg
at8.jpg (839.53 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

depletedvespene

27 Oct 2018, 14:37

watchman wrote: I'm not really know about those key caps,I replaced with M's keycaps,it looks better now.
at4.jpg
It seem could change the layout as Model F AT,but need a little surgeon.
Based on this picture, it's reasonable to think that you can, indeed, do this replacement (and you could well replace the BAE with an ISO or an ANSI Enter, as well).
watchman wrote: The locker in the right was broken,That was a micro switch under the lock arm,I work as power lock.
I'd love to see this in action again.
watchman wrote: Key feels similarly as SSK,typing lighter and crisp. I got it just under 25 USD makes it very valuable(even cheaper than normal M).
25? Then even more congratulations on your lucky find! :D
watchman wrote: I decide make a customize PCB which can quickly switch the original monster huge controller.
at8.jpg
Waitasec... you manufactured this controller? :o

Sangdrax

27 Oct 2018, 15:45

Looks like the lock just needs a new tumbler and lever. It's a standard size. You should be able to buy one from ebay for a few bucks.

Return to “Keyboards”