Model M 52G9658

zx_spectrum

30 Oct 2018, 17:55

Hello
i would like to know about IBM model M (52G9658) made by IBM:
1- beside the fact that it has permanently attached flat cable; any known issues about this keyboard?
2-how is it when in term of build-quality when compared to 1391401 units ?
3- 2-how is it when in term of build-quality when compared to Unicomp units ?
4- in general does feel cheaper than other model m units?

thanks

Muirium
µ

30 Oct 2018, 18:06

I know bugger all about the number you say—I find it hard enough just to remember my beamspring is a 3278—but one truth off the top of my head is that it’ll be better built than a Unicomp. The later the boards, the worse.

wobbled

30 Oct 2018, 18:18

I'd personally stay away from model M's that have fixed cables unless you can source a USB controller from somewhere.
The feel and sound will be basically identical to all Model M's unless you have a lot of missing rivets. Even Unicomps produced today will feel identical to the Model M's of the 80's.
The good thing is that these wont have plastic blemishes on the case, so you're getting a better looking board than the Unicomps.
The only difference between these and the old Model M's is the thinner plastic case and thinner steel plates, neither of which make a huge difference.

abrahamstechnology

31 Oct 2018, 13:27

I don't think there's an issue with an attached PS/2 cable. Most half-decent motherboards have one, (or at the very least, an expansion header for one) unless if you have a cheap consumer-grade desktop from Wal-Mart.

But if you do want to internally convert a PS/2 M for laptop uses, etc. a Pro Micro should fit in the case just fine.

Return to “Keyboards”