Would Coltron 80 be good for everyday typing?

Waxwood

05 Nov 2018, 19:18

I'm curious about buying an older non-backlit Coltron Model 80. It looks quite intriguing and its certainly not very expensive. Has anyone else much experience typing long documents on it? It's apparently high actuation and I'm wondering if that would be exhausting to type on. How would it feel compared to Cherry Blue switches on my Cougar Puri keyboard or an IBMModel M or F?

I did a search online for reviews of that board, but could not really find anything. But I'm guessing that members here have plenty of experience with it :D Would it drive me mad? Or would I love using it on a daily basis? Would it tempt me to toss aside my soon-to-arrive IBM Model F XT?

All advice and opinions very much welcome ! :P

keycap

05 Nov 2018, 21:08

Cortron foam and foil switches, the thing seems to be built like a tank. This might be a great board for you, but I've no experience with it, unfortunately. Definitely seems interesting though, and it would make for a nice collection piece!

Waxwood

05 Nov 2018, 21:42

It does seem interesting. I'm not interested in collecting actually.. I just want one or two boards that I'll really like typing on, and that will offer my hands/fingers/wrists some relief by switching amongst them. I've just uncovered some information on the makeup or workings of a "foam and foil" switch. But are they well-regarded?

keycap

06 Nov 2018, 00:48

Foam and foil switches are... well, interesting. If you want my personal opinion, they simply do not compare to the switches you have already tried. Especially to a Model M/F. But that's just my opinion, of course.

If you want to be on the safe side, I'd pass on it. I don't think realistically you'd use it as a daily board. Foam and foil is like that weird old '80s thing that you break out every once and a while because it's retro and weird. Not something practical for typing, and especially not practical if you want it to last a while (the foam rots with age depending on how well you take care of it)

But if you get into collecting, I'd recommend picking it up (assuming it's cheap.) Sounds like an interesting board for sure :P

keycap

06 Nov 2018, 00:53

Worth noting that while the capacitive nature of foam and foil makes it last far longer than electromechanical switches, the foam is the true issue with the design. You wouldn't notice a loss of functionality for many years, however. The only reason I recommend against using foam and foil as a daily switch is simply because they feel spongy and not truly linear. But, again, you might love them. Only way you can tell is to either find the board in the wild somehow and try it for yourself or to take the chance and buy it.

Waxwood

06 Nov 2018, 00:53

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated. I read about other foam and foil boards and apparently, they are not so nice to type on. I don't think it'll meet my needs, but it is exceptionally cool.

keycap

06 Nov 2018, 00:57

Indeed!

Return to “Keyboards”