IBM Model F XT (NO FOAM) !!

zx_spectrum

11 Nov 2018, 14:39

I know it is kind of strange to post such a topic but
is it actually possible to use the model f xt after completely removing the foam from it ??!!

i thought that the answer would be NO
but then i saw this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPOe0Pmd3gs

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2018, 15:00

No videos for me today. But to answer your question: my guess is the barrels would wobble like crazy, and the hammers would be rapidly worn by violent collisions with the PCB. So it would *work* but not well and you’d be harming it in use.

JBert

11 Nov 2018, 22:01

The only advantage I would see is that the plates can be slid together without the need for any clamps as now there is nothing resisting it (the video author didn't know about the clamps or the fact that you should NEVER pull out the spacebar).

BTW: The problem is not that the hammers hit the PCB (in the model F they are always in direct contact with the PCB) but that the barrels could be slightly lifted when you move the keyboard, then trapping a hammer underneath it.

Conclusion: I would also not attempt using it without foam for long periods of time. If it were truly optional I think IBM could have just left it out from the beginning.

wcass

12 Nov 2018, 16:19

As JBert said, the foam is there to keep the top-plate/barrel/PCB/bottom-plate sandwich tight so that the flippers don't get trapped. I think it also helps to lessen the sound a little.

I don't use any foam in my custom compact F, however it is easy for me to keep my barrels locked in place because the top and bottom plates are flat and thick aluminum.

Return to “Keyboards”