Custom made aluminium plate am trying to understand the plate design

lled3733

13 Nov 2018, 17:21

Firstly i have looked through the forum and been unsuccessful in finding what I am after. If it is already posted, then please provide a link and I will take it from here. What I am trying to understand is what permits the removal of the key tops? I have gathered so far that the mount hole is what allows the switch stems/springs to be swapped after being mounted. My current understanding is that the ability to remove the top of the mechanical key is dependent on the design of the plate. ie the hole pattern. However I have not been able to verify this so far to a degree positive assurance. Nor have I been able to confirm what to look for and the differences in the mount hole pattern. One looks like straight sides an the other tone one I have attached.

So far I have attempted to find the information in the forum as well as the web. I have attempted the removal of some tops but I have not been successful and therefore am reluctant to proceed further for fear of breaking a switch.

Hopefully someone may be able to help clarify my understanding and provide or confirm the type of plate mount hole needed. (if it is indeed dependent on the mount hole)

Included a picture of the plate hole style that is not simple a square.

Thank you.
Attachments
Cherry MX hole mounts.JPG
Cherry MX hole mounts.JPG (9.12 KiB) Viewed 809 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Nov 2018, 17:29

PCB-mounted MX switches can be opened in-place, using their four corner holes: Insert a screwdriver into two opposite holes, then pry the side retention tabs away from the switch body. Plate-mounted switches must be removed to be opened, as the plate prevents their side tabs from moving outward to clear the retaining lugs.
wiki/Cherry_MX#Disassembly

lled3733

13 Nov 2018, 17:34

Thank you Kdbfr.

Return to “Keyboards”