Where I can find good reed switch switches?

PlacaFromHell

27 Nov 2018, 02:45

Well, I was looking for information about reed switch switches and there is practically nothing relevant about them. Leaving aside Fujitsu, Alps and Micro Switch, are there more of them that are interesting? Which? Where I can find them or what I need to look for? I'm behind them and I'll hunt them with a little more info.

OldIsNew

27 Nov 2018, 03:46

PlacaFromHell wrote: Well, I was looking for information about reed switch switches and there is practically nothing relevant about them. Leaving aside Fujitsu, Alps and Micro Switch, are there more of them that are interesting? Which? Where I can find them or what I need to look for? I'm behind them and I'll hunt them with a little more info.
There is some info on Key Tronic magnetic reed switches on the Wiki:

wiki/Key_Tronic_magnetic_reed

I purchased a board from this seller - though the price seems to have gone up!:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sundstrand-Key ... 2324130221

If you're just interested in the reed switches themselves you can get them for a reasonable price from this seller - I purchased some to replace a couple of dead switches on my board and they seem to work fine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ORD-219-12m ... 2483969280

PlacaFromHell

27 Nov 2018, 04:20

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for keyboards, typewriters or whatever kind of machine with reed switches. Aren't Key Tronic ones too short in travel? My idea is build/convert something to try them.

OldIsNew

27 Nov 2018, 05:24

PlacaFromHell wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm looking for keyboards, typewriters or whatever kind of machine with reed switches. Aren't Key Tronic ones too short in travel? My idea is build/convert something to try them.
I don't think they are too short really. I think they're really nice linear switches actual. I did convert one of these boards, and do like it - though must admit I don't use it a whole lot because of the layout:

workshop-f7/keytronic-magnetic-reed-boa ... tic%20reed

Made a short video of typing on it:

PlacaFromHell

27 Nov 2018, 22:26

I realized that they are a bit tricky to work with if I want to make something more customized. Maybe I'll try to get some switches from old Monroe adding machines.

Return to “Keyboards”