Typing Demo XL - Cherry solid-state capacitive switches (Cherry KFN-3)

Chyros

12 Dec 2018, 07:27

As requested by a viewer, a typing demo of a rather uncommon switch; Cherry solid-state capacitive! Hope you enjoy! :)

keycap

12 Dec 2018, 08:19

Still fuller than the skeleton of sound that is Cherry MX.

Elrick

12 Dec 2018, 10:57

Best sounding Cherry keyboard as of yet.

Don't know why they left that to make some of the most horrid sounding rubbish in the keyboard world.

That keyboard you're typing on is BLISS without any down sides whatsoever, according to my old ears. Saw that you didn't connect it to your PC so this was just a sound recording but still, how far Cherry has fallen down with the rubbish they're now producing.

Any FOOL today that is still defending them, probably also likes to use Razer keyboards as well, hence they lose all credibility in the DT symposium ;) .

Damn fine keyboard sound Chyros, still can't believe it was a Cherry made keyboard. How embarrassing it is today for them, when making comparisons with their latest junk being sold in shops.

Another fine recording Chyros, my ears are clapping for your efforts in this latest release.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Dec 2018, 11:24

Elrick wrote: Best sounding Cherry keyboard as of yet.

Don't know why they left that to make some of the most horrid sounding rubbish in the keyboard world.

That keyboard you're typing on is BLISS without any down sides whatsoever, according to my old ears. Saw that you didn't connect it to your PC so this was just a sound recording but still, how far Cherry has fallen down with the rubbish they're now producing.

Any FOOL today that is still defending them, probably also likes to use Razer keyboards as well, hence they lose all credibility in the DT symposium ;) .

Damn fine keyboard sound Chyros, still can't believe it was a Cherry made keyboard. How embarrassing it is today for them, when making comparisons with their latest junk being sold in shops.

Another fine recording Chyros, my ears are clapping for your efforts in this latest release.
It's hillarious how completely out of touch you are. Cherry switches are still to this day the most common choice when building high end custom keyboards. When picking switches for a 500$+ kit, people usually put some thought into their switch choice.
The "retooled" MX Black switches had a real impact on the market recently becoming the new standard for linear switches. You could watch tens of thousands of retooled MX Blacks sell within days, sometimes hours, whenever Arrow restocked them. What makes this so funny is that - compared to the alternatives we have these days - Cherry switches are recognized for having a pleasant sound signature. So what TEH FUCK are you talking about?

Findecanor

12 Dec 2018, 11:56

Dude, manners!

Elrick

12 Dec 2018, 13:09

Wodan wrote: When picking switches for a 500$+ kit, people usually put some thought into their switch choice.

Cherry switches are recognized for having a pleasant sound signature. So what TEH FUCK are you talking about?
Then you're obviously stone cold DEAF.

That keyboard Chyros just typed on, shows how out of touch YOU truly are. Either that, or your seriously hearing-impaired.

If people want to spent $500+ for their keyboard then they are not buying the standard Corsair, Razer or Millions of Yum-cha rubbish, being sold commonly around the world (what is sold in STORES sunshine).

If you're spending close to a $1000 then you got to be sure to put in non-standard switches, NOT produced by Cherry Corp at all, like Zealios, Tealios, Feelios and gawd knows what other weird names the geek community applies to these minority made switches, made elsewhere but certainly NOT in any Cherry owned subsidiary.

But the Sound on that OLD Cherry keyboard eclipses ALL the Zealios quite easily, so before you start sprouting more rubbish defending this, remember that this place is about ALL Keyboards that were ever made not just certain select one off made switches by select manufacturers.

So you could desperately try and defend the indefensible. Cherry is dead, long live Kailh and many other manufacturers that have taken over, from a tired old company on it's last legs (as it should be).

That simple old Cherry capacitive keyboard embarrassed even the most expensive made, custom keyboards done today. Funny how something so old still sounds so great because people who appreciate that SOUND above all else, can truly understand what had been done.

That is why Cherry can never make that very same sound again, just like that ancient keyboard and if you think they can, then someone has been blowing smoke up your arse, BIG time.

green-squid

12 Dec 2018, 13:30

I like how you can't leave it at 'I prefer the sound of old Cherry switches'. wth
Elrick wrote: Cherry is dead, long live Kailh and many other manufacturers that have taken over, from a tired old company on it's last legs (as it should be).
┈┈┏━╮╭━┓┈╭━━━━╮
┈┈┃┏┗┛┓┃╭┫ wot ┃
┈┈╰┓▋▋┏╯╯╰━━━━╯
┈╭━┻╮╲┗━━━━╮╭╮┈
┈┃▎▎┃╲╲╲╲╲╲┣━╯┈
┈╰━┳┻▅╯╲╲╲╲┃┈┈┈
┈┈┈╰━┳┓┏┳┓┏╯┈┈┈
┈┈┈┈┈┗┻┛┗┻┛┈┈┈┈

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Dec 2018, 14:02

Elrick wrote: So you could desperately try and defend the indefensible. Cherry is dead, long live Kailh and many other manufacturers that have taken over, from a tired old company on it's last legs (as it should be).
Make up your mind, what's your point?

The modern 150$ shit can't compete with the vintage keyboards which retailed at something equivalent to 1500$ today? Wow, what a revalation here on DT ... who would have thought!

Or are you just member of the Cherry-sucks circle jerk that has been ignoring the hillarious QC issues of the praised Cherry competition and the ongoing dominance of Cherry switches in the high-end custom game. It's just proof that you've really got no idea and still try to be edgy and loud. We can talk about the shortcomings and flaws of Cherry switches all day but your points are just in harsh conflict with reality. You're easily missing 2-3 years of development on the switch market.

Surprise me, what switch would you put into your Duck Orion V3?

andrea-i

12 Dec 2018, 14:27

cherry debate aside, isn't that board foam and foil?
It does sound good, and it might even feel good (can foam and foil do that?), but it surely can't be a reliable switch.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

12 Dec 2018, 14:31

andrea-i wrote: cherry debate aside, isn't that board foam and foil?
It does sound good, and it might even feel good (can foam and foil do that?), but it surely can't be a reliable switch.
I had one that felt absolutely awful, but im sure that was because the foam had disintegrated. It was NIB, but probably not stored in a climate controlled area. I ended up just throwing the whole board away.

Khers

12 Dec 2018, 14:38

Elrick wrote: [...] But the Sound on that OLD Cherry keyboard eclipses ALL the Zealios quite easily, so before you start sprouting more rubbish defending this, remember that this place is about ALL Keyboards that were ever made not just certain select one off made switches by select manufacturers. [...]
Have you ever heard Zealios? They sound like rubbish. If a good sounding MX-compatible keyboard is your main priority, the current state of the hive mind says you stay the hell away from zealios and the like and go for Cherry switches. They just sound better (well, with the exception of the MX Blue which is horrible through and through). While we've all understood that you dislike Cherry's current generation of switches, you should perhaps stay away from fake news.

Chyros

12 Dec 2018, 14:53

mike52787 wrote:
andrea-i wrote: cherry debate aside, isn't that board foam and foil?
I had one that felt absolutely awful, but im sure that was because the foam had disintegrated. It was NIB, but probably not stored in a climate controlled area. I ended up just throwing the whole board away.
Mine is a demo model. I bought it off a Cherry salesman.

FWIW, it feels and sounds excellent. IMO it easily beats MX switches in feel and sound, and they have a much higher reported lifetime as well. Normally I'm not a huge fan of foam and foil, but these are very pleasant IMO.

Return to “Keyboards”