*help out a Noob*May i USe This iBMs Model M on my Desktop computer?

Metzu

21 Dec 2018, 03:18

i cant see the conector in the picture :(
Last edited by Metzu on 21 Dec 2018, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

21 Dec 2018, 04:06

Almost always, the two tone F keys like these means it a PC model. F keys on the terminal models are all gray.

However, zooming in I can see that the markings on the keys are for terminal use, so you'd most likely need a Soarer's converter to use them with a PC.

PlacaFromHell

21 Dec 2018, 04:18

I know this picture, is from a dude from Mercadolibre. I had a lot of problems with that seller, be careful or PM me if you are interested. The model M I got from him has that weird IBM 3179 connector and literally has NO RIVETS, also two broken keys with glue. Just be careful.

Metzu

21 Dec 2018, 06:31

he said that "conects to the PC trough the red (ethernet?) conector"

zrrion

21 Dec 2018, 07:45

Then they are probably terminal model Ms, which use a connector unique (AFAIK) to terminal model Ms. You can make a converter if you have the parts, you can buy a converter, or you can replace the controller in these boards with the controller from basically any other M.

If you build or buy a converter for these they will only really work for terminal model Ms, but if you swap the controller for one with a ps/2 cable you can use it on some modern computers without a converter. If you do want to convert it to USB you can build/buy a ps/2 converter that will work with this board as well as any other board that uses ps/2. On my terminal M I swapped in a controller that used a detachable cable because I really like detachable cables.

Quartz64

21 Dec 2018, 11:00

Yes, you can and it can be made on low budget:
  • 5V/16MHz Pro Micro: $3.5, micro-USB cable: $2. Use Soarer's Converter firmware or TMK/QMK
  • optional (Lock LEDs): 3x 5mm LEDs, 3x 800-1000 Ohm resistors, small (2x8cm) prototype PCB, wire: about $2; LED overlay sticker from Unicomp (pebble color): $1.5
  • optional layout mod: vertical 2U "+" key and vertical stabilizer insert (black): $3.5
  • optional ANSI mod: ANSI left shift, enter and backslash keys.
As any Model M these may have broken rivets, you will need tools and 58x M2x8 bolts with nuts.

depletedvespene

21 Dec 2018, 13:13

Not much to add to what's already been said, but... if you do get one of these, AND it's in good working condition (a difficult assumption to make, given what placafromhell says), AND it you have fat clumsy fingers like I have, you can avoid building a converter and instead buy a premade Soarer's converter cable from orihalcon (there are several kinds — looks like the RJ45 one is the correct one here). With either option done, writing the remapping file to use these keyboards on PC will be very easy to accomplish (and more than one dude around here will be glad to help you with it).

I also must note that terminal Model M keyboards with an ISO layout are rather uncommon, at least on what's usually seen on eBay and whatnot. And with the Spanish (Latin America) layout, to boot? Colour me interested! :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

21 Dec 2018, 13:17

Techno Trousers wrote: Almost always, the two tone F keys like these means it a PC model. F keys on the terminal models are all gray.
Not necessarily. For me, the telltale difference is the numpad+ key — if there's a 2U numpad+ key above the 2U numpad Enter, it's a PC model; if there are, instead, 2 1U keys, it's a terminal model.

... unless someone modded it. Many people like to "fix" the numpad on the M/F122 battleships by putting a 2U numpad+ key, and there are gits like me that prefer to split the 2U numpad+ key on their PC keyboards into two (and the 2U numpad0 as well).

andrewjoy

21 Dec 2018, 13:37

Why would you give up a split + on a num pad ? Its the best feature of the terminal versions!!

depletedvespene

21 Dec 2018, 13:41

andrewjoy wrote: Why would you give up a split + on a num pad ? Its the best feature of the terminal versions!!
I would definitely NOT give that up!!! (you must have missed all my rants on the 5×4 17-key numpads in pretty much every thread where numpads are mentioned :mrgreen:)

andrewjoy

21 Dec 2018, 13:45

:) once you have had tab on a numberpad you never go back !

Return to “Keyboards”