Vintage keyboard identification and cleaning help.

Yavion

23 Jan 2019, 09:11

Hi. This is my first post, I've been a keyboard enthusiast for some time, and I use modified Dell at102dw for my everyday use. I have found this keyboard on an advertisement in my hometown and I bought it really cheap without knowing what is inside or even having it in my hands.
I was not disappointed since it turned out to have Cherry MX Black switches (if I am correct?).
What I want to find out is what manufacturer and model is this and what year it was made? I haven't opened it yet, but I will post updates after I do so (probably for the weekend). It was apparently used as a part of a cash register in a pub, since it has written down names of the drinks on the caps.
I want to find out how to clean everything. The dust and hairs won't be a problem, but I am worried about the black stains and yellow degradation of the casing. Is this something that can be removed?
Is it possible to hook this keyboard up on a PC with usb, it has a DIN connector if I am right. Would it be still possible to use the programming function of the keyboard itself?
Oh so many questions, here are the pics, click spoiler for more:

The keyboard.
Spoiler:
Key for different functions and DIN connector (?)

Stains on the back. Awful.

More back dirt.

Switches. I haven't seen this much dirt ever on a keyboard. I guess it was a pretty busy pub.

I got additional keycaps with it, keys for programming and even a keycap puller. Caps seem to be brand new.

Anakey

23 Jan 2019, 10:25

wow that keyboard has seen a lot of use, not sure how well the switches will clear up with that amount of dirt on it. The key switch would be used to do the different functions normally expected of a cash register normal operation, locked and also the programming mode to program a key to a product or particular function. I am not sure if it would work as a normal keyboard but i think user kbdfr is the usual expert with these boards as he uses a similar board as his daily driver. The yellowing of the case is probably due to UV damage from the sun due to flame retardants put in ABS plastic that causes it to yellow over time. There is a process called retrobriting that will temperately reverse the yellowing however it will eventually turn yellow again sometimes even darker then before so the only real way to fix it would be to get a new case designed and cut possibly a layered case from acrylic or wood

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2019, 11:21

MX blacks should clean up fine, they usually get better with use unlike alps that go nasty if they get used when dirty.

If the switches feel scratch you will have to desolder them , take them apart, clean all plastic parts in an ultrasonic cleaner or warm water with some form of detergent (i like washing powder, the biological kind) rinse with distilled water , dry them out and lube them.

This video should help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1wl9Vm3zdM just replace ultrasonic with the warm water and washing powder.

I bet you they are fine tho , its not often MX get full of dust.

The case is just a soap and water job with a liberal application of magic eraser, if its still yellow it will need a retrobright.

Caps are similar to switches, ultrasonic or warm soapy water , rinse and dry.

Yavion

23 Jan 2019, 12:50

Anakey wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 10:25
wow that keyboard has seen a lot of use, not sure how well the switches will clear up with that amount of dirt on it. The key switch would be used to do the different functions normally expected of a cash register normal operation, locked and also the programming mode to program a key to a product or particular function. I am not sure if it would work as a normal keyboard but i think user kbdfr is the usual expert with these boards as he uses a similar board as his daily driver. The yellowing of the case is probably due to UV damage from the sun due to flame retardants put in ABS plastic that causes it to yellow over time. There is a process called retrobriting that will temperately reverse the yellowing however it will eventually turn yellow again sometimes even darker then before so the only real way to fix it would be to get a new case designed and cut possibly a layered case from acrylic or wood
Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping kbdfr will know something about using this type of keyboard, I can see the customization potential it offers, from gaming to other applications. I guess it needs a proper adapter to transfer the information properly onto a newer system. And Cherry Blacks feel really fine, I guess not much dirt has made its way inside of the switches.

Is there any site where you can, for example, upload a CAD drawing of a case and the make it for you, cut and everything?

andrewjoy wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 11:21
MX blacks should clean up fine, they usually get better with use unlike alps that go nasty if they get used when dirty.

If the switches feel scratch you will have to desolder them , take them apart, clean all plastic parts in an ultrasonic cleaner or warm water with some form of detergent (i like washing powder, the biological kind) rinse with distilled water , dry them out and lube them.

This video should help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1wl9Vm3zdM just replace ultrasonic with the warm water and washing powder.

I bet you they are fine tho , its not often MX get full of dust.

The case is just a soap and water job with a liberal application of magic eraser, if its still yellow it will need a retrobright.

Caps are similar to switches, ultrasonic or warm soapy water , rinse and dry.
Desoldering is unfortunately out of the question since I don't know how to do it and don't have the equipment but I have interest so I think I will be learning to do it in the near future.

I also don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner so soapy water will have to do. Magic eraser was also exactly what came to mind when I saw the dirt and I will try it!
Thanks for the video link, it is very useful.

andrewjoy

23 Jan 2019, 13:04

The MX blacks should be fine. Unless the keyboard has been in a super nasty environment not seen dusty MX.

Ultrasonic is not a requirement , its just quicker and you can be more lazy :). A poor mans ultrasonic is a salad spinner , put the warm water , caps and detergent in there and spin spin spin ! You can also use it to rinse the caps !

Good luck with the clean up.

Yavion

23 Jan 2019, 13:09

andrewjoy wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 13:04
A poor mans ultrasonic is a salad spinner
:lol:

Luckily my fiancée was ahead of me and bought a salad spinner a few years ago. I guess we'll have to share. :D

swampangel

23 Jan 2019, 14:32

Yavion wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 12:50
Is there any site where you can, for example, upload a CAD drawing of a case and the make it for you, cut and everything?
https://www.protocase.com/ is one place that will do this, although there is a 'setup fee' which makes quantity-of-1 orders a bit pricey. They have a tool, Protocase Designer, which is sort of a cad-lite app which allows you to select from prebuilt case types, or you can submit regular cad drawings to them for a quote.

Edit: they do steel/aluminum, if you are happy with a wood or acrylic sandwich style case you'll have to look elsewhere but it will be much cheaper.

Yavion

23 Jan 2019, 15:41

swampangel wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 14:32
Edit: they do steel/aluminum, if you are happy with a wood or acrylic sandwich style case you'll have to look elsewhere but it will be much cheaper.
Thanks! I guess they would also make great switchplates, which is what I also need for another project.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Jan 2019, 12:37

Sorry, but I am unable to identify the keyboard.

The relegendable keycaps seem to be those found on Birch/Dekorsy models,
while the number caps obviously are Glancetron/Jarltech.
As all of those brands usually have MX blue switches and not a 16x8 matrix,
I think they can be excluded.

Perhaps an older Tipro I am not aware of (the lock keys look rather Tipro)?
I would suggest to simply ask Tipro (you will find the contact address on their website www.tipro.net),
they are always eager to answer any questions.

Yavion

01 Feb 2019, 09:04

Hi, no problem, thanks for the suggestions. Funny thing is I just recently found out Tipro is a slovenian firm and it is an hour drive from my place :D

I will send them a mail, hopefully the will have a suggestion on how to program the keyboard and use it on a modern system, since im nearly done cleaning it (trying the retrobright now) I would be very happy to use it.
I have also seen that people have problem with black cherry mx swithches, I find them most enjoyable.

Return to “Keyboards”