Switches with quiet upstroke ?

Kakalxlax

25 Jan 2019, 01:07

So, things like o-rings only silence the key when pressed, is there a way to silence the upstroke or switches that silence the upstroke ?

zrrion

25 Jan 2019, 01:15

QMX clips are the way to go here. They don't effect the feel as much either.

Kakalxlax

25 Jan 2019, 01:52

zrrion wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 01:15
QMX clips are the way to go here. They don't effect the feel as much either.

Ty, do you know where they can be bought ? i only found a site that sells only in europe.
And are there switches that do this by themselves ?

Lbibass

25 Jan 2019, 02:01

I would recommend any of the silenced switches from zealPC. https://zealpc.net. The Healios and Zilents are the ones you'll want to be looking at. :D

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2019, 02:39

Cherry does a pretty decent job of damping on their silent line of switches now, too. I have a Filco with them, which I reviewed a wee while ago. They compare fairly well with silenced Topre, which more relevant than other MX to me.

katsu

25 Jan 2019, 02:59

Kakalxlax wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 01:52
Ty, do you know where they can be bought ? i only found a site that sells only in europe.
And are there switches that do this by themselves ?
Unless novelkeys restocks them in February I believe you have to order them from uniquey's website.

zslane

25 Jan 2019, 19:11

The only downside to Cherry Silent Reds, as I've discovered on a number of boards I have with them, is that by eliminating nearly all the bottom-out and upstroke noise, the shuff-shuff-shuff sound of slider friction suddenly becomes very apparent. I'm sure a lot of folks don't mind that sound, but it bothers me almost as much as the bottom-out and upstroke noise does.

TheInverseKey

25 Jan 2019, 19:22

zslane wrote:
25 Jan 2019, 19:11
The only downside to Cherry Silent Reds, as I've discovered on a number of boards I have with them, is that by eliminating nearly all the bottom-out and upstroke noise, the shuff-shuff-shuff sound of slider friction suddenly becomes very apparent. I'm sure a lot of folks don't mind that sound, but it bothers me almost as much as the bottom-out and upstroke noise does.
I have to agree with this. I don't normally fall for the Zeal tax but I think Healios are better and have better dampeners and more silent in general. Also, they are smoother out of the box compared to cherry.

Hypersphere

25 Jan 2019, 20:49

In the mx world, the best silenced switches I have tried are ZealPC Zilent switches. They are tactile switches with silencing on both the downstroke and the upstroke. I like them better than Matias Quiet switches. However, I think that the overall best typing experience with a silenced switch is with silenced Topre switches.

Findecanor

25 Jan 2019, 21:51

Do read more on QMX clips in the Wiki. Myself I find QMX > Zealencios.

Gateron Silent switches are clones of Cherry MX Silent switches, plus Gateron also has a silent Brown switch, which Cherry doesn't.

KBDfans' Aliaz switch is like a luxury variant of Gateron Silent Brown, in the same way that Zeal's Healios are luxury variants of Gateron Silent Black and Red: smoother because they were lubricated at the factory. Zeal's also have gold-plated springs that are supposed to be smoother.
Zeal PC's "Zilents" switches are the only highly tactile and dampened Cherry MX clone though.

A few people have done the "latex mod" where you would brush liquid latex inside the upper housing where the slider would slam into it. That is not very durable: latex is susceptible to breaking down over time. Having used latex (for completely different things), I think that it also would be difficult to apply consistently.

Return to “Keyboards”