I want to Clone Alp SKCM just like China doing their Cherry MX clone.

cineraphael

28 Jan 2019, 18:00

With a rise of a 3D Printer, It can bring me more possibly to creating my own Alp complicated switch. I think I can make a better switch than a Matias as they are only Simplified Alp. I had been studied a part in a disassembled Alp SKCM Blue in Deskthority Wiki and I feel like It could be easy to make thanks to a 3D Printer.

What tool do you think Alp actually used to make their Alp Complicated switch?

If Gateron and Kailh can clone a Cherry MX then Alp Complicated switch should be able to clone them as well. Same with Unicomp.

---- I cannot stand anymore Cherry MX and Gamer deserve a better switches and Everybody should tries Alp SKCM Blue.

samuelcable

28 Jan 2019, 18:17

Alps was a big factory with tolerances to keep the switches as high quality as they are, I do not think a group of hobbyists could recreate something to the same degree as Alps. The majority of cherry mx clones are poorly made and cheap. Also people looking for Alps is already a niche within a niche hobby so I just don't think the demand is there. Sorry if I'm being rude but I don't see a good Alps clone ever happening in a community, I don't think any big company has interest in investing into Alps when other options do just fine for them in their eyes

Chyros

28 Jan 2019, 18:26

I'm really not sure that a 3D printer would be able to recreate the level of precision that injection moulding would, but still I applaud any effort to recreate SKCL/SKCM :) .

swampangel

28 Jan 2019, 19:02

I've had this same thought, but I agree that the tolerances probably put it out of reach.

Still, what would you need to make this happen?

* 3d printed plastic plates
* two contact plates (copper? is it possible to cut it with a hobbyist laser cutter like a glowforge or printer attachment, or do you need a "real" laser?)
* flexible conductive sheet (copper again? how do you bond it to the contact plate?)
* contact leaf and click leaf (stainless steel, has to be cut and bent, I have no idea how you'd bend these to spec)

I assume you'd use existing clone housings/sliders/springs.

I know that metal fab places will bend your steel enclosures. Is there an equivalent for tiny components? If I was really going to do this, I might just start by trying* to get a factory to fab some replacement tai-hao style skinny click leaves but in steel instead of copper.

* I don't even know how hard this first step would be
Last edited by swampangel on 28 Jan 2019, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

vvp

28 Jan 2019, 19:09

Chyros wrote:
I'm really not sure that a 3D printer would be able to recreate the level of precision that injection moulding would
It would not. FDM/FFF and SLA are ruled out. The vertical wall will not be smooth enough.
Maybe SLS printers can get enough resolution and detail but I did not hear about an SLS printer resin which would not be brittle when cured. Also the price of the 3D printed switches would be prohibitive.

But you can reasonably well 3D print keyboard cases and switch plates or even keycaps. Well, 3D printing keycaps is up to discussion. I use a few 3D printed keycaps though.

abrahamstechnology

28 Jan 2019, 19:16

I'd say don't bother with a switchplate, simplified contacts can outlast switchplates if done right. The main things you need to get right are the housing, and click leaf.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

28 Jan 2019, 19:37

abrahamstechnology wrote:
I'd say don't bother with a switchplate, simplified contacts can outlast switchplates if done right. The main things you need to get right are the housing, and click leaf.
But if the goal is to recreate the True Alps Feel™, you're not going to get it without one of these

Menuhin

28 Jan 2019, 20:12

Chyros wrote:
I'm really not sure that a 3D printer would be able to recreate the level of precision that injection moulding would, but still I applaud any effort to recreate SKCL/SKCM :) .
This

abrahamstechnology

28 Jan 2019, 20:13

snacksthecat wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 19:37
But if the goal is to recreate the True Alps Feel™, you're not going to get it without one of these

That's what this style of contact leaf replicates

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

28 Jan 2019, 20:14

28 Jan 2019, 20:13
That's what this style of contact leaf replicates
But it replicates it very poorly =/

abrahamstechnology

28 Jan 2019, 20:34

//gainsborough wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 20:14
But it replicates it very poorly =/
But it works and realistically is probably the best we can hope for, for now. At least it doesn't make an obnoxious bump or make the slider stick like Matias's contact leaf.

Chyros

28 Jan 2019, 21:11

If you go with simplified contacts, you're compromising. If there's ONE thing that all the Alps clones have shown us so far (and indeed so many other switch designs), it's that you shouldn't compromise.

Menuhin

28 Jan 2019, 22:02

Chyros wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 21:11
If you go with simplified contacts, you're compromising. ... and ... that you shouldn't compromise.
This

zrrion

28 Jan 2019, 22:14

that's not to say the design can't be optimized, but there is certainly a difference between cutting costs and cutting corners.

Menuhin

28 Jan 2019, 22:42

zrrion wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 22:14
that's not to say the design can't be optimized, but there is certainly a difference between cutting costs and cutting corners.
This

BTW, referring to the OP - I believe not many pro gamers / gaming guru like clicky switches - most of them like linear switches.
Plus, if you look at the force curve, Alps linear switches are not pure linear; and the pure linear switches are MX switches and a few other designs, e.g. magnetic - although pure linear can mean boring.

swampangel

28 Jan 2019, 22:43

28 Jan 2019, 20:34
But it works and realistically is probably the best we can hope for, for now.
Seems this ought to be a thread for dreaming big.

My main complaint about the simplified contacts is they're more fragile/finicky when assembling/disassembling. Which you wouldn't need to do if the switches were reliable as a total package (contact+click)

Return to “Keyboards”