Not Sure I'm Happy with Cherry MX...

Darkshado

06 Feb 2019, 08:03

The project itself already has flippers and springs set aside.

For the ping on the Model Fs (or M for that matter), you could always try a "floss mod" which removes a lot of that without affecting feel. Plus it's easily reversible if you don't like it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Feb 2019, 08:49

original post 2016, I have great respect for what lol_lizard is doing, and I bet the boards are finally near the finish line... but still it's 2019

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2019, 09:04

They’re not. He had gigantic IRL setbacks to contend with. I know what that’s like. We’re lucky to still have him, let alone his project.

There’s a chance MF will revive and ship. But just a chance. Certainly no timeframe.

Emir

06 Feb 2019, 16:12

I stared into a mirror and said wodan three times, here's to hoping he joins the discussion. :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Feb 2019, 16:25

I can‘t take ModelM praise seriously any more. You‘re either a troll or a noob if you claim the Model M is good for anything other than filling material when pouring a concrete foundation.

Emir

06 Feb 2019, 16:41

Emir wrote:
I stared into a mirror and said wodan three times, here's to hoping he joins the discussion. :D
Wodan wrote:
I can‘t take ModelM praise seriously any more. You‘re either a troll or a noob if you claim the Model M is good for anything other than filling material when pouring a concrete foundation.
Summoning complete.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Feb 2019, 16:45

Emir wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 16:41
Emir wrote:
Wodan wrote:
Summoning complete.

Totally unrelated

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Feb 2019, 16:46

Wodan wrote:
Come on, Wodan,
just because the plastic rivets in a Model M will inevitably break some time you cannot be so negative about it.

After all, repairing the broken rivets (which by the way requires a special tool in order to just open the case) proves you're a real keyboard expert,
while any Cherry board still functioning flawlessly after 25+ years of use is just for ordinary plebeians who obviously don't know better about quality.

Where's Elrick, by the way? :mrgreen:

hansichen

06 Feb 2019, 16:49

kbdfr wrote:
Wodan wrote:
Come on, Wodan,
just because the plastic rivets in a Model M will inevitably break some time you cannot be so negative about it.

After all, repairing the broken rivets (which by the way requires a special tool in order to just open the case) proves you're a real keyboard expert,
while any Cherry board still functioning flawlessly after 25+ years of use is just for ordinary plebeians who obviously don't know better about quality.

Where's Elrick, by the way? :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

samuelcable

06 Feb 2019, 16:55

Wodan wrote:
Atleast they look OK. That's the only real reason to use one other than using it on its original pc. Can't say anything about the feel or the "hhhhhideious" sound

Chyros

06 Feb 2019, 17:10

kbdfr wrote:
Wodan wrote:
Come on, Wodan,

My god, 25 years of using Cherry MX.... Nobody should have to suffer a fate as horrible as that.

I'd rather have 1 year of pristine blue Alps plus 24 years of shitty rubber domes than 25 years of mind-numbing MX mediocrity :mrgreen: .

samuelcable

06 Feb 2019, 17:13

Say the line Chyros!

zrrion

06 Feb 2019, 17:18

At least the model m is screwed bolted together instead of having a dozen plastic clips. :p

Khers

Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Wodan wrote:
Come on, Wodan,

My god, 25 years of using Cherry MX.... Nobody should have to suffer a fate as horrible as that.

I'd rather have 1 year of pristine blue Alps plus 24 years of shitty rubber domes than 25 years of mind-numbing MX mediocrity :mrgreen: .
I have one keyboard with NOS SKCM Blues, and while they're pretty nice, the sound is obnoxious as all hell. There's a reason my daily drivers are all vintage black, nixie or Topre.

samuelcable

06 Feb 2019, 17:20

Khers wrote:

I have one keyboard with NOS SKCM Blues, and while they're pretty nice, the sound is obnoxious as all hell. There's a reason my daily drivers are all vintage black, nixie or Topre.
Clickies in a nutshell :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Feb 2019, 17:43

Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
[…]After all, repairing the broken rivets (which by the way requires a special tool in order to just open the case) proves you're a real keyboard expert,

Oh, I forgot you're now the #1 keyboard expert (sorry, ripster).

Being a youtube influencer with an acceptable recording technique and an admittedly nice voice
appears to be enough to confer on you supreme authority and turn your opinion into law,
no matter how subjective and/or unfounded it may be.

purdobol

06 Feb 2019, 17:54

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Feb 2019, 18:05

not sure why people get so upset, it's like their argument is so feeble that they feel one person saying the opposite could undermine it.

Chyros

06 Feb 2019, 18:07

kbdfr wrote:
Chyros wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
[…]After all, repairing the broken rivets (which by the way requires a special tool in order to just open the case) proves you're a real keyboard expert,

Oh, I forgot you're now the #1 keyboard expert (sorry, ripster).

Being a youtube influencer with an acceptable recording technique and an admittedly nice voice
appears to be enough to confer on you supreme authority and turn your opinion into law,
Oh sure, it's fine to make snide remarks when I voice my opinion (and it was clearly an opinion), but you trolling people is all A-OK. And when other people ARE stating opinions as facts but praising Cherry, kbdfr is nowhere to be seen of course. Good, glad we got that clear. I guess hypocrisy is still the order of the day among the Cherry fanbois. Seriously, what is it with these Cherry fanbois that they can't tolerate ONE OUNCE of criticism towards their precious, complacent German rubbish?

depletedvespene

06 Feb 2019, 18:18

What a shirt show!
Shirt show.
Shirt show.
shirt-show.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 5397 times
While all y'all fight (and make efforts to lose an R), I'll keep on typing on my Model M keyboard. Actually, no... I'm at the office, so I'm using a WASD TKL with lubed Ergo Clears. Whatever.

ZedTheMan

06 Feb 2019, 18:28

Ya know, this thread seems to be one of the more heated I've seen on DT in my time here. And Elrick isn't even involved yet! I say it's high time that we get to the point where we can agree that we all like and dislike different switches and keyboards, and what may be bad to some may not be bad to others. It isn't wrong to like or dislike Cherries, Alps, Buckling Springs. Nor is it wrong to overlook doomed to fail plastic rivets, inherently linear designs, noise, or high susceptibility to dust and use, or to consider any of the above deal breakers.

OP likes the model M and doesn't think that Cherries fill the things he want in a keyboard. That's just fine. Many people enjoy all manners of cherry switches. That's also fine. I think Alps SKCM/SKCL are a superior design feeling and sound wise to Cherry switches across all varieties, but that doesn't mean I will pout on people who like Cherries more. Cause, that's just like, your opinion, man. I will make an exception to anyone that enjoys Deyi Foam and Foil, that's nasty stuff. (But if you do enjoy it, I'm glad for you, though I do question your preferences)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Feb 2019, 18:33

Best thread ever :)

At least with the Model M you have a very active custom scene and support for virtually endless layouts. It‘s also such a genius design, companies all over Asia started cloning it once the patents expired.

depletedvespene

06 Feb 2019, 18:35

Wodan wrote:

At least with the Model M you have a very active custom scene and support for virtually endless layouts. It‘s also such a genius design, companies all over Asia started cloning it once the patents expired.
Your disingineous argument wins the "lost R" prize. :mrgreen:

ZedTheMan

06 Feb 2019, 18:41

depletedvespene wrote:
Wodan wrote:

R is an important letter for most keyboard-related activities, so this is a very harsh punishment on a keyboard enthusiast forum.

mattlach

06 Feb 2019, 18:57

kbdfr wrote:
My guiding philosophy is, "If it's on Youtube, it;'s probably crap".

I trust written articles. I don't trust anything anyone says in a Youtube video.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Feb 2019, 19:02

ZedTheMan wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 18:41
depletedvespene wrote:
Wodan wrote:

R is an important letter for most keyboard-related activities, so this is a very harsh punishment on a keyboard enthusiast forum.
I couldn‘t cae less

Muirium
µ

06 Feb 2019, 19:03

mattlach wrote:

I trust written articles. I don't trust anything anyone says in a Youtube video.

stratokaster

06 Feb 2019, 19:05

mattlach wrote:

Spoken like a true youthful maximalist, as we say in Russia :-D

samuelcable

06 Feb 2019, 19:07

mattlach wrote:
kbdfr wrote:

So if someone writes down the transcript from a YouTube video it becomes more trustworthy? :P

purdobol

06 Feb 2019, 19:07

mattlach wrote:

Well my guiding philosophy is "experience". An opinion of a person that tried and used many different switches has more weight than... you know. At least it's seriously taken into consideration. No matter if it's written one or on youtube.

Return to “Keyboards”