I had an idea for a new keyswitch mechanism...

glossywhite

04 Mar 2012, 17:03

Hi there.

The inventor that I am, I just had a thought for a mechanical keyboard mechanism. So here it is:

In the usual mechanical (Cherry MX, alps etc) switches, you have a spring. Well, instead of a spring, why not use two tiny magnets, with their like poles facing, so that they push away from one another, as a "springy" feeling but with a difference?

Also, as a variaton on this, I had an idea to have one permanent magnet in the stem, opposing an electromagnet (fixed) in the body of the switch, the current to which could be adjusted, therefore adjusting the key resistance level. This idea seems incredibly simple to me, and I am of the opinion that simple is usually best, no?

It would probably require more external power... but who knows?

Thoughts? Has this been done?

Thank you :)
Last edited by glossywhite on 05 Mar 2012, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

04 Mar 2012, 18:18

Yes.

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Mar 2012, 18:26

You might want to read up on hall effect switches^^.

kps

04 Mar 2012, 19:37

glossywhite wrote:Also, as a variaton on this, I had an idea to have one permanent magnet in the stem, opposing an electromagnet (fixed) in the body of the switch, the current to which could be adjusted, therefore adjusting the key resistance level.
Ooh yeah, software-programmable tactile feedback.

Also, when you power on the keyboard, you can have the keys rise slowly into position, preferably accompanied by a hissing sound PSSHHHHHHHFT and a solid THUNK at the top.

RC-1140

04 Mar 2012, 20:03

Not software-programmable, hardware-programmable! That would be cool. You can plug your keyboard into any PC and always have the same feeling. But I fear that this kind of switch wouldn't really feel nice, as afaik magnets don't follow hooke's law as springs do, so these keys would feel bad. A little like MYs, with the force increasing as you push it down.

ripster

04 Mar 2012, 21:32

Hooker's law: it's hard out there for a pimp.

glossywhite

04 Mar 2012, 21:44

Ascaii wrote:You might want to read up on hall effect switches^^.
This is spring-related, and nothing to do with the switches. You're talking about a totally different aspect of the key; the switch, whereas I am tallking about the force required to actuate the switch, being variable by means of magnetic repulsion caused by the like poles (N+N or S+S) of two magnets - one fixed permanent, one electromagnet, with variable current input.

:)
Last edited by glossywhite on 04 Mar 2012, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

04 Mar 2012, 21:59

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Mar 2012, 22:01

I'm typing on one every day.

glossywhite

04 Mar 2012, 22:02

Old, but good. It's often the ideas that are considered "old" and thus dismissed, that end up being the best ones of all. Great minds think likewise, it seems.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Mar 2012, 22:14

glossywhite wrote:[...] Old, but good. It's often the ideas that are considered "old" and thus dismissed, that end up being the best ones of all. [...]
Oh, wait...
glossywhite wrote:They still use table-based layout :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 286#p36286

Could you please stick to your own opinions instead of contradicting yourself within minutes? :mrgreen:

glossywhite

04 Mar 2012, 22:38

Okay. :)

So, are you interested in my ideas? It seems not, if you're laughing them off. I promise not to sell you one at cost price, once they're released... okay. :)

Trent

20 Mar 2012, 18:16

glossywhite wrote:The inventor that I am
What previous inventions have you come up with/built?

glossywhite

21 Mar 2012, 00:32

Trent wrote:
glossywhite wrote:The inventor that I am
What previous inventions have you come up with/built?
I designed the wheel, the bag-less vacuum cleaner and every iteration of space shuttle there is/was.

Return to “Keyboards”