Model F AT capsensing issue

mcmaxmcmc

21 Feb 2019, 08:13

So, I received a Model F AT a couple days ago.
My first buckling springs keyboard!
Looks great, feels great. Love this thing. (I'll get a better picture of this thing when it actually works. :) )

The one problem though is that none of the "switches" work. The lock lights of the board still light up and do respond correctly when connected to my Soarer's AT to USB converter; I can still control the lock lights using a separate board connected to the same PC.
I don't think it's the converter since I do use the converter on the daily with my Focus FK-2001 and that works perfectly fine. Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

Here's a picture of the main board inside the keyboard:

Cheers!

Anakey

21 Feb 2019, 09:26

normally when the boards do not work it is because there is too little capacitance for it to reach the threshold to fire. I know in XTs that it can be caused by the bolt going through the pcb into the plate not being screwed down enough or in the board i got it had been screwed the wrong way round so that might be something to check seeing as the 2 bolts either side of the pcb look to be missing on yours. Another thing that could have happened is that if the foam separating the plates has disintegrated quite badly then it could have covered the pads, might be worth replacing the foam if it still does not work when the bolts are in place.

mcmaxmcmc

21 Feb 2019, 10:51

I've reassembled the board, with all of the bolts and the foam removed. It still doesn't work.

mcmaxmcmc

25 Feb 2019, 07:21

Bump... the board still doesn't work. :(

SneakyRobb
THINK

28 Feb 2019, 13:20

Can you show us a picture of both sides of the pcb and the bottom of the plate showing your foam?
As well as how you connect you cables to the original controller?

99% of the time with model f, the keyboard not working is due to something being installed incorrectly. We can check that everything else is in order though.

Fkazim

04 Mar 2019, 04:01

Have you checked that the 2 grounding wires are both in place and screwed tightly down. If they are not then the capacitance won't work as it relies on being correctly grounded.

Fkazim

04 Mar 2019, 04:03

Also try running the keyboard with a 5 pin din to PS/2 and then a simple PS/2 to USB as the keyboard uses the AT protocol which modern PC's can understand.

It could be an issue with the converter you are using.

Return to “Keyboards”