Soviet Model F clone with capacitive buckling springs

PlacaFromHell

11 Mar 2019, 21:50

Wazrach wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 20:43
So it finally came, and it's a bit disappointing, I will say. The keycaps are super wobbly and the switches feel inconsistent. They also don't sound nearly as cool as the real deal. One thing is for sure though - the assembly is very much like a Model F, with XT-like barrels with the posts sticking through the barrel frame. There's also a foam mat, just like the real thing. I may not be able to get this working easily, but I'd definitely like to try putting IBM barrels and flippers inside. I'll be able to confirm after disassembling it whether or not this will work.

What do you guys think?

Well, I'm trying to show pictures, but of course it's not letting me attach images...
If I remember well, the flippers are almost identical. I readed good reviews about it, so maybe you need a new foam.

Wazrach

11 Mar 2019, 22:23

PlacaFromHell wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 21:50
Wazrach wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 20:43
So it finally came, and it's a bit disappointing, I will say. The keycaps are super wobbly and the switches feel inconsistent. They also don't sound nearly as cool as the real deal. One thing is for sure though - the assembly is very much like a Model F, with XT-like barrels with the posts sticking through the barrel frame. There's also a foam mat, just like the real thing. I may not be able to get this working easily, but I'd definitely like to try putting IBM barrels and flippers inside. I'll be able to confirm after disassembling it whether or not this will work.

What do you guys think?

Well, I'm trying to show pictures, but of course it's not letting me attach images...
If I remember well, the flippers are almost identical. I readed good reviews about it, so maybe you need a new foam.
I definitely need new foam. I opened it up to find the foam has turned into a sticky sludge. It is HORRIBLE. I have some 3mm automotive headliner I'd like to try. I will use the barrels and flippers from two Models F XT I own, as they appear to be compatible. This means I will also have to replace the keycaps with regular Model F keycaps. I don't know what I will do with the spacebar though. I think I will have to use a regular barrel where the original stabiliser is meant to go, and just use a Model M spacebar.

PlacaFromHell

12 Mar 2019, 07:11

That plastic thing over the springs should work by the same way as the dots in the original IBM keycaps, right? Maybe you can put it over the original IBM flippers and use the soviet keycaps. Please, at least give it a try with the new foam just to be sure.

Wazrach

12 Mar 2019, 15:03

I tried the Soviet keycaps on IBM barrels, and they're incredibly wobbly.

PlacaFromHell

12 Mar 2019, 16:17

And if you add the thing over the springs? Should be better

Return to “Keyboards”