Classic SP DCS keycaps [Wyse] are underrated

HungerMechanic

05 Mar 2019, 02:07

So everyone's trying to find the best cherry-profile keycaps for their custom builds or factory boards. GMK, KBDfans, JTK, and many others are producing sets, with GMK the most celebrated on photo-centric websites.

A few months ago, I acquired some old DCS-profile keycaps for free. They're from an old Wyse terminal as far as I can tell, although I'm not sure which one. They have MX stems, though. And the modifiers can handle Costar stabilizers if you wad them in with some thin plastic.

So I put them on my Majestouch. I was in the process of removing ePBT 9009 (R4), so I left the coloured PBT keys on the board, filling in for most of the stabilized keys.

You can see a photo here:

It's not pretty [at least, the photo is not pretty. They look okay in person. The photo exaggerates the variable coloration.] But I'm using them as a deliberate choice.

It turns out that these DCS keycaps, which were made by the predecessor to Signature Plastics, are actually pretty good. They are doubleshot, thicker than Tai Hao, with very crisp lettering, and ABS.

The lettering is in Gorton Modified font, I believe. It is very easy to read, and still as sharp as the day the keycaps were made.

The DCS profile is very nice for typing. The DCS keycaps are slightly taller than Cherry-profile, by about 1mm, but they are slightly more countoured, so they feel as if they are lower.

I find that this profile is better for comfort, since it cups the fingers naturally.

However, it may be slower than Cherry, because it's a little bit more difficult to move between keycap rows.

I placed some GMK keys and modifiers on the board alongside the DCS keys. I found that the GMK keys felt more plasticy, and more important, sounded more plasticy. The GMK keys made a kind of chit-chit-chit or chi-chi-chi sound, while the DCS keys made a ta-ta-ta sound. Kind of like the difference between an M-16 (GMK) and an AK-47 (DCS).

As one person pointed out, in a different forum, these thick DCS caps can make a kind of 'fluttering' noise when pressed rapidly. Like a plasticy bird is taking flight.

It's unfortunate that this profile (thick doubleshot DCS) is hardly made at all anymore, as I think it is quite viable.

It's kind of sad that new entrants to keyboard customization are unlikely to know the large, crisp Gorton-modified legends, finger indentations, and moderate clack of the proto-SP DCS-profile caps.

I would take these over GMK if they came new.

I have another set of Wyse keycaps on the way, this one in much newer condition. With two Moogle kits on the way, I will be able to match them with beige or OG modifiers.

Myoth

05 Mar 2019, 07:43

Hell fucking yes for DCS !

HungerMechanic

06 Mar 2019, 05:06

This guy gets it.

Here is a video of someone typing with Wyse DCS doubleshots on an FC660M. He's got the same set that I have on the way, and the same Moogle kit.

https://youtu.be/FqbglqcE5Fs

The sound is similar to my own. However, my Majestouch is a bit more pingy/rattly than the FC660M. But you get the idea. It's a nice medium clack.

zrrion

06 Mar 2019, 05:37

I really like these caps as well, I don't have a moogle kit but I thing the PCE bottom row is better than the standard bottom row on modern layouts anyway so I'm not to bothered by it. I really don't like the spacebar profile for DCS at all though. It feels like the front edge is pointed right at my thumb which is uncomfortable, but flipping it makes it too short in the front and it ends up feeling bad in a different way.

derzemel

06 Mar 2019, 15:29

I have a Wyse in impeccable condition and I absolutely love the keycaps on it.

I was hopping to find a blue on grey moogle kit (to convert it to standard bottom row and from ISO to ANSI), but, alas, no chance, especially since it seems that the last GB for them was made in 2012

HungerMechanic

06 Mar 2019, 20:00

The fact that you guys do things like this (Moogle kit) is what drew me to Deskthority.

There's a lot more to keyboards than flashy keycaps and meme switches, and there's a sense of history and restoration here.

It's important to understand all the elements that combine to make a great keyboard feel.

Return to “Keyboards”