Soarer's converter and FN key

RWIndiana

14 Mar 2019, 16:49

Hello all. I believe this is my first post here. I just have a quick question about the soarer's converter, which I'm using on an IBM Model F (XT).

Ideally, I would like to make the LSHIFT + F9 and LSHIFT + F10 combos work as F11 and F12. I've achieved a somewhat satisfactory operation by mapping the prtsc/* key as a function key.

I didn't use left shift as I then lost the functionality of the shift key. Is there any way to do what I'm trying to make the left shift work both as a function key AND shift key? I tried using the shift key as macro, but no matter what I tried, could not get a shift + f* key to work as anything at all!

Thanks for any advice!

dotdash

18 Mar 2019, 23:07

I'm by no means an expert, but my experience is that you have to sacrifice the key you use as the function key. I use num lock on my XT, as I've discarded the number pad and mapped it more like a TKL. You could also use the caps lock and use Soarer's trick of mapping both shifts to caps lock.

Hypersphere

18 Mar 2019, 23:39

RWIndiana wrote:
Hello all. I believe this is my first post here. I just have a quick question about the soarer's converter, which I'm using on an IBM Model F (XT).

Ideally, I would like to make the LSHIFT + F9 and LSHIFT + F10 combos work as F11 and F12. I've achieved a somewhat satisfactory operation by mapping the prtsc/* key as a function key.

I didn't use left shift as I then lost the functionality of the shift key. Is there any way to do what I'm trying to make the left shift work both as a function key AND shift key? I tried using the shift key as macro, but no matter what I tried, could not get a shift + f* key to work as anything at all!

Thanks for any advice!
Just as you did, I mapped PAD_ASTERIX as FN1.

I then mapped the number row as F1-F12, where MINUS = F11 and EQUAL = F12.

I kept the shift keys as shift keys.

AJM

19 Mar 2019, 15:28

RWIndiana wrote:
Ideally, I would like to make the LSHIFT + F9 and LSHIFT + F10 combos work as F11 and F12.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not simply ....

Code: Select all

macroblock

macro F9 LSHIFT
    PUSH_META CLEAR_META LSHIFT
    DELAY 5
    PRESS F11
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro F10 LSHIFT
    DELAY 5
    PRESS F12
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

endblock
(I've written this without an XT keyboard at hand, so there might be typos etc.)

RWIndiana

21 Mar 2019, 16:34

AJM wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 15:28
RWIndiana wrote:
Ideally, I would like to make the LSHIFT + F9 and LSHIFT + F10 combos work as F11 and F12.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not simply ....

Code: Select all

macroblock

macro F9 LSHIFT
    DELAY 5
    PRESS F11
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

macro F10 LSHIFT
    DELAY 5
    PRESS F12
    POP_ALL_META
  endmacro

endblock
(I've written this without an XT keyboard at hand, so there might be typos etc.)

This worked fine, thank you! I think what I am missing is an understanding of what the push_meta clear_meta and pop_meta do. I thought I read the initial instructions pretty well, but maybe I missed that part.

Thanks everyone else for your ideas and suggestions as well. May implement some of those in the future. :)

AJM

21 Mar 2019, 16:44

Yeah, that's a bit tricky.

PUSH_META saves the information, which modifiers are pressed at the moment.
CLEAR_META LSHIFT "declares" the LSHIFT as not-pressed (otherwise the later "PRESS F11" would actually send "SHIFT F11", because you're holding the SHIFT key down at that moment)
POP_ALL_META restores the condition of the modifiers to the state, that was saved by PUSH_META

Return to “Keyboards”