Where should I look for 1.2mm plastic sheets to make an alps plate?

BloodyKafir

31 Mar 2019, 20:34

I am looking to do a top mount alps brown build, and need to find a 1.2mm POM/Delrin/PBT sheet to cut. Anyone know where I should look?

Fkazim

01 Apr 2019, 10:02

Here's a link where you can buy the delrin PBT plastic the only thing is the thinnest size they have is 2mm hope that helps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACETAL-Sheet ... IKfTPBz2Bw

Findecanor

01 Apr 2019, 11:30

If you are laser-cutting then exact thickness is important. Most plastics are quite brittle and at 1.2 mm you would absolutely need a supporting PCB underneath, or if you hand-wire: use multiple sheets glued together or have a thicker plate machined with slots for the switches' snaps.

When scavenging Alps switches from an old keyboard, it is very easy to break the snaps by mistake because they are of very thin ABS and therefore brittle. If I hardware Alps, I think I would glue the switches to the plate in that case.

Delrin is a type of Acetal / POM. POM is not an approved material in all laser-cutting shops and while tougher than ABS it is still somewhat brittle and is too slick to take glue well. I think it would therefore be more feasible to get a larger thickness and have it machined. But if you are having it machined anyway, then a good type of aluminium might not be that far off in terms of cost: as it is the set-up work and machine time that typically cost the most.

I think that most laser-cutting shops and maker spaces should be able to provide you with acrylic sheet although 1.2mm thickness is more unusual. I think there are many suppliers and it varies a lot locally. I would check the phone book and phone around for shops first, and plastics suppliers later.

swampangel

01 Apr 2019, 13:54

snacksthecat got a 1mm PETG sheet from Ponoko, if that's an option viewtopic.php?p=440556#p440556

Return to “Keyboards”