Issues with soarer's converted model F XT

Pumaeggs

14 Apr 2019, 20:58

I recently purchased an F XT off ebay and set to work cleaning and converting it. The board had a sticker inside that indicated the board was repaired in the summer of 1985. It seems the foam had been replaced with a much more durable closed-cell foam, which hasn't degraded much at all. The repairs went more or less flawlessly as the board is in very good condition. However, I have been having issues when trying to use the F on my laptop. I can use the board on my desktop computer with no problems, but for some reason after about 10 minutes of use on my laptop the board starts freaking out and registering random keypresses. At first i figured it was something to do with the cable, which had a break in it. Replacing the cable seemed to work, but it started freaking out again. Could this be caused by insufficient power from the laptop's usb 3 port? or could it be because i am not using a shielded and grounded cable? any feedback would be really helpful.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Apr 2019, 21:00

I think it sounds like a grounding issue. Did you make the Soarer's converter?

Pumaeggs

14 Apr 2019, 21:46

snacksthecat wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 21:00
I think it sounds like a grounding issue. Did you make the Soarer's converter?
yeah, i built the soarer's converter. i figured this was the cause, because moving it around will sometimes fix the issue. How do i ground the keyboard?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

14 Apr 2019, 22:17

The first thing to check would be to make sure that the screw that mounts the PCB to the plate is nice and tight.

I had the same problem that you're describing and what worked for me was connecting the plate ground line to the ground pin on the converter. I mentioned this in a thread once and I think I remember someone saying that's not necessary / doesn't make sense. But yeah, that's what worked for me. The keyboard performed perfectly after doing that.

Pumaeggs

14 Apr 2019, 23:49

snacksthecat wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 22:17
The first thing to check would be to make sure that the screw that mounts the PCB to the plate is nice and tight.

I had the same problem that you're describing and what worked for me was connecting the plate ground line to the ground pin on the converter. I mentioned this in a thread once and I think I remember someone saying that's not necessary / doesn't make sense. But yeah, that's what worked for me. The keyboard performed perfectly after doing that.
Thanks, it looks like the screw wasn't making contact with the contacts on the PCB. i tightened it and everything seems to be OK now.

Return to “Keyboards”