Can someone explain to me the whole Geekhack

stevenshaw

18 Apr 2019, 06:41

However, the founder, ripster, has been banned from the other 2 sites it seems, and it's clear he's a divisive fellow. I personally haven't seen what he says that upsets people so. Maybe I've not been here long enough? He can look like he thinks he is the center of the universe, but I don't mind that, because it seems more like a running joke than a personal belief. [url=https:/spaml/]Ospamgle[/url]Appspameyhttps://192168l.spaml/

But that's nothing compared to the real issue. While I like the emphasis on objectivity, and while ripster may claim it's the biggest keyboard forum around, it is not. It's not a forum, it's a subreddit. It may be the biggest keyboard community website, but a reddit and a fully fledged forum are 2 different things. If I want to see the newest keyboard news, some nice keyboard pictures, ask a question, or have some inconsequential chit-chat, a subreddit is great.
But if I want to organize a groupbuy, offer manufacturing services or have an ongoing discussion about a DIY build, a subreddit is woefully inadequate, because once your post disappears off of the front page, you'll likely stop getting any more comments, and your discussion will cease, and there's very little you can do to bump it to the front page again.
Last edited by stevenshaw on 21 Apr 2019, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

18 Apr 2019, 08:14

Geekhack was founded by iMav.

Is Ripster still posting that he is butthurt for being banned at Geekhack and here? So effing what.
Noone cares. It was a loooong time ago. He deserved it. He should get over it.

nickg

18 Apr 2019, 16:12

why not post it everywhere?

squizzler

18 Apr 2019, 18:57

I'm sure they are a lovely community, but, oh boy, that heeeedious (apologies to Chyros!) name! Geek. Hack. Ugh.

Findecanor

18 Apr 2019, 19:12

squizzler wrote:
Geek. Hack. Ugh.
But you can't argue that it isn't easy to remember. ;)

From iMav's keyboard:
The domain name came from the two groups I perceived as caring the most about quality keyboards, techies (geeks) and writers (hacks).

BloodyKafir

18 Apr 2019, 20:10

Honestly, Geekhack has been a very toxic community. Even reddit is getting to that point. I think deskthority is still the only community that isnt incredibly toxic and elitist.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Apr 2019, 20:12

Shut the fuck up you pleb

;)

BloodyKafir

18 Apr 2019, 20:14

Wodan wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 20:12
Shut the fuck up you pleb

;)
I can feel the love from here.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Apr 2019, 20:19

BloodyKafir wrote:
Hot and steamy :lol:

darkcruix

18 Apr 2019, 21:05

Wodan wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 20:19
BloodyKafir wrote:
Hot and steamy :lol:

depletedvespene

18 Apr 2019, 21:08

Now, THAT is an improper thing to do, darkcruix. You could damage the desk!!!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

19 Apr 2019, 01:46

I'm basically an outsider looking in but there's an imgur album ripster made explaining what happened (grain of salt warning). I will try to find the link to the album in a bit.

From my perspective, it looks like he was way way big into the forum and got banned for not following the rules (maybe posting too much?).

He was banned from GH, banned from DT, and I think maybe a few others. Finally he ended up on reddit moderating the /r/mechanicalkeyboards sub.

As for what happened with GH. I'm assuming you're talking about the resent sale of it. If I remember correctly, here's what approximately went down:
  • Zeal offered to buy GH for x amount
  • iMav announced on the forum that he's selling GH
  • Other offers started coming in
  • iMav accepted the offer from Massdrop to sell GH for y amount
  • Community split on whether this is good / not good
Edit: found the album https://m.imgur.com/a/KuSG5

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Apr 2019, 11:06

He got banned from GH for deleting the wiki content of some guy he didn't like, and they had no version control.
He got banned from DT for flood posting in order to get banned.

Findecanor

19 Apr 2019, 14:57

From another old thread:
bhtooefr wrote: At least two [rollbacks] were due to Ripster abusing his moderator privileges and deleting users.
Rollback = restoring Geekhack's data base from a backup.

I have also seen rumours about him having edited other user's posts to make it as if they had insulted him.
Last edited by Findecanor on 22 Apr 2019, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.

samuelcable

19 Apr 2019, 15:00

squizzler wrote:
I'm sure they are a lovely community, but, oh boy, that heeeedious (apologies to Chyros!) name! Geek. Hack. Ugh.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Apr 2019, 00:13

Geekhack is lighter in weight that Deskthority and occupied by a number of pseudo-trolls, who can be argumentative and profoundly annoying, but not to a degree that rises to the level of "toxic" although it has been buffeted by a number or storms. There is a lot more non-keyboard and keyboard-tangential conversation than elsewhere. And it is also arguably the best location for group buys, particularly in the Cherry ecoverse.

Deskthority is considerably more civil, and un-apologetically bumps against the glass ceiling of "elitism" with its fascination with vintage gear and history.

Every time I have gone to reddit I became disoriented and wondered how to get off the first page. Overall it feels like an exercise in the obfuscation of real information and meaningful discussion.

the_ambyguous

22 Apr 2019, 05:48

Haha wow, didn't know all that about ripster. thats kind of hilarious.
also
"Zeal offered to buy GH for x amount"
god damn, has zeal always been a baller? GH was for sale before he even came out with the zealios right? man, I wonder where he gets the capital. He must be a titan of industry in the real world.

reddit can be overwhelming, but one thing it has over either deskthority and GH is the size of the audience it reaches, both reddit and massdrop have played a large role in mechanical keyboards becoming increasingly, almost explosively popular in the fast few years. that, and cherry's patent expiring of course :lol:

Telstar

22 Apr 2019, 15:12

Hmm I have never had any issues with GH, but i dont frequent the marketplace and hot topics much.

deacon

22 Apr 2019, 15:24

Ripster is mostly absent from /r/mechanicalkeyboards unless he is using another username. What remains is a partially updated Wiki that some users contribute what pleases them to contribute (for me it was Jailhouse stuff), some of the culture he fostered and the fading shadow of his interaction with DT and GH.

The constant stream /r/mk allows you to pluck the petals of interesting content as it goes by but if you miss something it's pretty much gone. This also means the low effort and uninteresting things are gone as well which is a positive thing.

Very little has to be removed by moderators, downvoted posts and comments just get swept away but are still accessible so there isn't really any censoring or censuring that might lead to a mods vs users dust up. Since forum content lasts forever, it requires additional moderator input; I'd guess this is why Ripster's offending content on DT and GH is missing.

Keep in mind that unless you sort subreddits by New you are allowing every other "redditor" to be your moderator due to the voting system.

Findecanor

22 Apr 2019, 15:56

LOL. Posted on Geekhack in Feb 2016: PSA on ripster
Hello everyone,

Ever since ripster was banned, he has repeatedly rejoined geekhack, using new accounts. The mod team ban these accounts once we notice them. This game of cat and mouse has been going for the past 4 years since ripster was banned. After banning a few of his accounts today, we wanted to share this information with you, in case you are wondering why these accounts may be gone.

Below are the accounts that we have banned:
crickclackman
vanwinkey
tronbeaver
BrewCaps
MeltingTeeth
Huxley2500
Herothereu
CaplockJack
Homenubbie
Apparently he has also been banned from Overclock.Net, and a few subreddits including /r/keyboards .
deacon wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 15:24
Since forum content lasts forever, it requires additional moderator input; I'd guess this is why Ripster's offending content on DT and GH is missing.
From what I understand, all of "Ripster"'s content is missing from GH because he had asked to have all of it removed and iMav had obliged. This included the Wiki he had started ...

Bruek

22 Apr 2019, 16:40

there seem to be a lot of people here that think just because of the drama of the selling of geekhack and ripster makes the entire community of geekhack a bad place. this drama took place over two years ago, and in no way reflects the the community as a whole.

chuckdee

22 Apr 2019, 18:46

Everyone is responding with real responses... but isn't this just spam? Look at the links in the OP LOL

swampangel

22 Apr 2019, 18:56

chuckdee wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 18:46
Everyone is responding with real responses... but isn't this just spam? Look at the links in the OP LOL
I think the links were edited in. I just reported it.

Compgeke

23 Apr 2019, 06:26

aaand...fixed. Looks like someone got through the spam filters, always fun when that happens.

chuckdee

23 Apr 2019, 18:34

Still looks really strange. And the guy has like 2 posts. And the other one is spamlicious too.

Weezer

20 May 2019, 01:47

I have that dude's M 122 1397000. Bought it from a guy who said it was from an "estate sale that had many keyboards".

Return to “Keyboards”