Dirty Alps

Rezene

25 Apr 2019, 18:18

I have never tried alps switches and am looking to buy some. People say that alps feel terrible when they are dirty and I wanted to know if they were worth buying if they aren't like new condition. Can you clean them and make them feel good? How do dirty alps feel compared to cherry switches? How dirty can they be before they start to feel rough?

the_ambyguous

28 Apr 2019, 06:36

I think Chyros is spot on when he says condition is everything when it comes to alps switches. Don't get me wrong, they don't have to be NOS to feel good. Most boards you'll find will probably be in decent to okay condition and the switches will still feel better than your average cherry switch. I would stay away from the dirtiest of boards. and once youve got a feel for alps switches, then dish out for super pristine/NOS switches, and see what turns man into god. 5/10-8/10 condition alps switches feel great to me. 9/10-NOS switches are what I would consider "end game." I discovered how much I loved alps switches through orange SKCM switches in decent condition. They were a great introduction into alps. then a year or two later into collecting alps boards I came across a NOS brown alps board and a 9/10 orange skcm gen 1 alps board, and I realized why condition is everything. but the odds of finding such boards by chance are very slim, and deciding to spend the big money for them may be a conscious decision for some. if you like clicky switches, you can find SKCM white boards in great condition. even some of the older ones can be in great condition. there is currently a group buy for NOS SKCM whites that just finished, some people may want to get rid of them (fat chance tho tbh) so you may wanna keep a look out for those. if you like tactile switches, try salmon or orange alps switches. as long as the board isnt caked in dust or obviously damaged, I wouldnt be afraid to buy them. They are definitely worth buying even when they arent in like new condition. you do realize that alps does not manufacture these switches anymore. there quite literally are no "new condition" switches. even "NOS" switches are technically aged switches. don't sweat the whole dirty thing. youre overthinking it imo. just post the board here if you are uncertain before buying and get a second opinion. better yet buy a board from someone here or on mech market thats in good working order.

cli

28 Apr 2019, 13:26

I agree with the previous answer but would like to add my .02 €.
When ALPS keyboards are intensively used / abused (dirt, dust, cat hair, cookies ... ) the sliders in the switches will wear out. The keys feel scratchy during the key press. You can try to fix it with sanding the bottom edge of the slider and lubing it (dry PTFE lube, PTFE powder), but it's a pain in the ass job. Not recommended for beginners.

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Apr 2019, 15:48

I have bought "almost new in box" Alps that felt terrible, and yet I also got a Dell AT101W in 1998, used it for several years until some of the caps were shiny, gave it to friend who never used it and kept it in a closet for 6-8 years, then got it back and it still felt good.

I kept "Northgate 101" on my ebay watch list for years, and after literally 3-5 years of waiting got one in excellent condition and then shortly after got another that had *probably* never been used, at least not for more than a few minutes of testing. Neither was cheap, but neither were they excessive.

Ebay watch lists and glacial patience are your best allies. Just last week I got something (not computer-related) that had literally been on my watch list for 15+ years, at a very reasonable price from a friendly seller.

Chyros

28 Apr 2019, 17:55

Basically, the cleaner you buy them, the more you stack the deck in your favour. Sure, you may score a lucky hit with a dirty board, or even a bad beat with a nice-looking one, but waiting for those pocket aces will give you the best possible chance of getting the real deal.

Lbibass

28 Apr 2019, 18:52

Chyros wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 17:55
Basically, the cleaner you buy them, the more you stack the deck in your favour. Sure, you may score a lucky hit with a dirty board, or even a bad beat with a nice-looking one, but waiting for those pocket aces will give you the best possible chance of getting the real deal.

I can confirm, it's all luck. I just got in a board with Salmons that looked terrible. 30 bucks, decent find on eBay. It's super yellowed, (orange actually), and there's dirt on the plate that I literally cannot remove with compressed air. The paint actually came off before the dirt did. Stupid rust. :cry: Once I cleaned the switches, it felt pristine.

Then there's the time I spent 160 on a very clean AEK, and the switches were unsalvagable. I still think that my first orange alps board I got is the best one that I own. No other switches I have gotten have lived up to the smoothness of those, except for the salmons I just got in the mail.

keyboard Kultist

28 Apr 2019, 22:35

I really lucked out not long ago. I saw an Acer Kb 101A on ebay and taking a big chance paid a hefty price....the luck was that although the key caps had all kinds of crud on them the switches are in excellent condition. This with the two Northgate Gold Badge boards are my small but much loved blue alps treasure trove.

DaOver

21 May 2019, 16:43

You would be amazed how a little bit of cleaning and lubing transforms a board/switches.
Had one Focus FK-2001 with some pretty dusty and mushy SKCM White ALPS.
I desoldered all them, cleaned them. Got some new springs, lubed the stems with some dry lube.
Now the switches are completely transformed, very nice typing experience.

Return to “Keyboards”