Nexus Cherry MX-compatible Alps sliders (+SA keycap typing test on SKCM blue!)

Chyros

01 May 2019, 18:23

A short featurette about Nexus sliders; a Cherry-compatible POM replacement part for Alps SKCM and SKCL switches. They also come with replacement housings as some Cherry caps won't fit through the stock housing. Included is a sound test of SA on Nexus vs OG Alps vs SKCM Blue. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

ZedTheMan

01 May 2019, 19:03

I was wondering how these were, they are rather pricey for both the housing and slider.
Good to know it doesn't impact feel that much, but man, I dunno if I could handle the rattling!

derzemel

01 May 2019, 19:16

May I ask you to try a tactile and a linear test too and let us know the results?
I have a feeling that the rattle we hear with the blue ALPS is only because of the click leaf

TheInverseKey

01 May 2019, 19:20

Thanks for the video, personally they loose the crisp click sound and I bet feel as well. That's a hard no from me.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

01 May 2019, 20:37

I saw an update to the "Cruciformer" GB/IC that said it supports Nexus sliders. Have these also been found to crack keycaps? I was confused when I read it but cant find much info.

TheInverseKey

01 May 2019, 20:38

snacksthecat wrote:
01 May 2019, 20:37
I saw an update to the "Cruciformer" GB/IC that said it supports Nexus sliders. Have these also been found to crack keycaps? I was confused when I read it but cant find much info.
Nexus slides can crack keycaps because they were based on box stem dimensions.

macboarder

01 May 2019, 20:39

I've just tried a tactile mod similar to this one with a Salmon M0116 (pretty clean and seemingly moderately used, but not pristine) and EnjoyPBT caps. I liked the results, though just like with the above Blue Alps experiment, they lose a bit of that precise thock (but it's still there), and they amplify any leaf spring movement noise more than the original switches (some of the switches were ever so faintly clicky). The keyfeel seems smoother and ever so slightly lighter, but that I suspect is due to the moving plastic parts being brand new (and POM). Overall, I think I'll give a full keyboard mod a go at some point, I have an Acer 6012 in need of new keycaps and clean switches - and I'm also curious as to how a tactile switch would sound in that case.

Anakey

01 May 2019, 21:05

Similar to most that bought these that do not have Brown Alps which it seems are the only alps that the sliders work. I have found a way to get white alps functionality back after using these sliders. I used the bottom housing from a dampened cream, the click leaf from the white alps, 85CN springs along with the nexus sliders and housing.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

01 May 2019, 23:10

Anakey wrote:
01 May 2019, 21:05
Similar to most that bought these that do not have Brown Alps which it seems are the only alps that the sliders work.
Can you expand on this? They only work with brown Alps?

Anakey

02 May 2019, 00:04

Sorry what i should have said is that the top housing was designed around brown alps due to their unique tactile leaf and also for having slight larger stems compared to later alps so work best with brown alps bottom housing and the tactile leaf.

abrahamstechnology

02 May 2019, 16:29

Neat idea but I think the time and effort could have been put into new Alps keycaps.

samuelcable

02 May 2019, 16:34

abrahamstechnology wrote:
02 May 2019, 16:29
Neat idea but I think the time and effort could have been put into new Alps keycaps.
Easier said than done, but I also agree. Worst aspect of Alps is that you either have to use shit ass caps or hope for some rare board to have nice caps. There's not enough interest for a company to make Alps mount when mx mount is all the rage but at the same time it sucks that there's still no good modern Alps caps option

AbstraktDesignLab

02 May 2019, 23:28

Take it from me: The V1 stems are kinda a failure. I tried these in SKCM Browns, Oranges, and Salmons. On the browns, they are okay. They reduce the tactility, but are still fairly smooth and round. On oranges and salmons, they click BADLY, rattle a lot, and the stems break caps. I would really like to see a MUCH improved V2 in the near future.

Return to “Keyboards”