IBM Model F AT modification

keyboard Kultist

02 Jun 2019, 01:58

So, I came into a Chicony 5160 AT with blue alps. The switchs are great but the case is uninspiring. On the other hand I have a broken IBM model F AT in the big basket of broken keyboards. You can probably see the wheels turning.

So.... anyone ever put the innards of such a thing in a model F AT case? Any obvious objections to the idea?

Model F with blue alps switchs, That could be fun...

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Jun 2019, 02:42

F AT cases are nightmarish to open and close. The plastic is brittle and the clips are too tight.

Why-oh-why didn't the screw a metal back onto the AT?

User avatar
dcopellino

02 Jun 2019, 16:42

Personally I found very easy opening and closing F AT without clamps. My solution is opening like a book just loosing the top tabs with tongs

Wazrach

02 Jun 2019, 17:29

dcopellino wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 16:42
Personally I found very easy opening and closing F AT without clamps. My solution is opening like a book just loosing the top tabs with tongs
I think he was referring to the case itself, not the assembly.

I agree with Fohat that the F AT case is a bit of a bitch to open. You feel like you're going to break it. The plastic also warps where the clips are.

It's pretty clear that IBM were pinching pennies with the AT, as the plastic case is thinner than the one on the XT and they left out the metal back panel of its higher quality predecessor.

Wazrach

02 Jun 2019, 17:36

keyboard Kultist wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 01:58
So, I came into a Chicony 5160 AT with blue alps. The switchs are great but the case is uninspiring. On the other hand I have a broken IBM model F AT in the big basket of broken keyboards. You can probably see the wheels turning.

So.... anyone ever put the innards of such a thing in a model F AT case? Any obvious objections to the idea?

Model F with blue alps switchs, That could be fun...
Don't forget, the Models F have curved assemblies, so some parts of the case are parallel to the curvature of the barrel frame. The Chicony will probably not fit snugly in the AT's case, but you could give it a go. I know it's technically possible to put the XT's assembly into the industrial, non-buckling spring XT keyboard's case.

User avatar
dcopellino

03 Jun 2019, 09:30

Wazrach wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 17:29
dcopellino wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 16:42
Personally I found very easy opening and closing F AT without clamps. My solution is opening like a book just loosing the top tabs with tongs
I think he was referring to the case itself, not the assembly.

I agree with Fohat that the F AT case is a bit of a bitch to open. You feel like you're going to break it. The plastic also warps where the clips are.

It's pretty clear that IBM were pinching pennies with the AT, as the plastic case is thinner than the one on the XT and they left out the metal back panel of its higher quality predecessor.
You are right. I didn't realize it. When i bought mine, it came with a foot broken due to shipping breaking. A foot broken in two points and its support completely blown up. I used my son's mechano pieces to rebuild them, melting the plastics with hot pieces got burned on fire.

Wazrach

03 Jun 2019, 10:35

dcopellino wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 09:30
Wazrach wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 17:29
dcopellino wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 16:42
Personally I found very easy opening and closing F AT without clamps. My solution is opening like a book just loosing the top tabs with tongs
I think he was referring to the case itself, not the assembly.

I agree with Fohat that the F AT case is a bit of a bitch to open. You feel like you're going to break it. The plastic also warps where the clips are.

It's pretty clear that IBM were pinching pennies with the AT, as the plastic case is thinner than the one on the XT and they left out the metal back panel of its higher quality predecessor.
You are right. I didn't realize it. When i bought mine, it came with a foot broken due to shipping breaking. A foot broken in two points and its support completely blown up. I used my son's mechano pieces to rebuild them, melting the plastics with hot pieces got burned on fire.
That sounds like a lot of effort for one foot - is it not possible to use XT feet with an AT? I know the mechanism is slightly different, but it's very easy to find XT feet and I'm sure you could get it to work

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Jun 2019, 14:36

Wazrach wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 10:35

is it not possible to use XT feet with an AT?
No

Fkazim

03 Jun 2019, 20:41

fohat wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 14:36
Wazrach wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 10:35

is it not possible to use XT feet with an AT?
No
What are the reasons the XT feet dont fit into the AT because when I restored my AT the feet looked identical the only difference I could see between the two were the AT used a coil spring for the feet and the XT uses a weird shaped spring. But when I removed the feet from both they looked identical.

keyboard Kultist

04 Jun 2019, 16:15

keyboard Kultist wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 01:58
So, I came into a Chicony 5160 AT with blue alps. The switchs are great but the case is uninspiring. On the other hand I have a broken IBM model F AT in the big basket of broken keyboards. You can probably see the wheels turning.

So.... anyone ever put the innards of such a thing in a model F AT case? Any obvious objections to the idea?

Model F with blue alps switchs, That could be fun...
Ah well, it looks like my evil plot has come to nothing. The metal plate in the Chicony is a bit too wide. It was a nice thought though. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Wazrach

04 Jun 2019, 21:04

keyboard Kultist wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 16:15
keyboard Kultist wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 01:58
So, I came into a Chicony 5160 AT with blue alps. The switchs are great but the case is uninspiring. On the other hand I have a broken IBM model F AT in the big basket of broken keyboards. You can probably see the wheels turning.

So.... anyone ever put the innards of such a thing in a model F AT case? Any obvious objections to the idea?

Model F with blue alps switchs, That could be fun...
Ah well, it looks like my evil plot has come to nothing. The metal plate in the Chicony is a bit too wide. It was a nice thought though. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Awh. Sorry to hear that. I have another idea though...

If possible, you could sand the sides of the Chicony's plate. Either that, or you could find a better-built Alps alternative?

User avatar
fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Jun 2019, 23:38

Fkazim wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 20:41

What are the reasons the XT feet dont fit into the AT
Try it. Prove me wrong. Please.

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”