"NOS" Chicony 5581 with Cherry MX Whites?

Wazrach

10 Jun 2019, 18:59

Hi guys, I think I may be the first one to document this, but I found a white clicky MX-type switch in a Chicony 5581 I recently bought. I initially thought they were Cherry MX Whites, but they don't appear to have Cherry branding, so I'm not sure if these are clones are not. Can anyone confirm what these are?

I bought the keyboard stupidly thinking it had Montereys in it, then learned that they had only been spotted with MX Blues. The listing said it was "NOS" and the seller seemed reputable, with a very high rating. Yeah, it's not NOS. It has yellowed unevenly, there are spots of grime here and there, although that doesn't really matter... light dust under the keycaps. The switches feel like they catch, although I really have no idea how these are supposed to feel. I'm getting the same kind of feeling as used White Alps.

Wow, can't even post a bloody picture of the switches, even if it's cropped just to lower the file size. Nice.

Myoth

10 Jun 2019, 19:04

Host the picture on Imgur, there is compression but it's better than nothing

samuelcable

10 Jun 2019, 19:05

Wazrach wrote:
Hi guys, I think I may be the first one to document this, but I found a white clicky MX-type switch in a Chicony 5581 I recently bought. I initially thought they were Cherry MX Whites, but they don't appear to have Cherry branding, so I'm not sure if these are clones are not. Can anyone confirm what these are?

I bought the keyboard stupidly thinking it had Montereys in it, then learned that they had only been spotted with MX Blues. The listing said it was "NOS" and the seller seemed reputable, with a very high rating. Yeah, it's not NOS. It has yellowed unevenly, there are spots of grime here and there, although that doesn't really matter... light dust under the keycaps. The switches feel like they catch, although I really have no idea how these are supposed to feel. I'm getting the same kind of feeling as used White Alps.

Wow, can't even post a bloody picture of the switches, even if it's cropped just to lower the file size. Nice.
They should be Aristotle switches , really horrible mx clones that are wildly inconsistent most of the time

Wazrach

10 Jun 2019, 19:09

Myoth wrote:
Tried making an account on both my mobile and computer - won't work. Haha.

Wazrach

samuelcable wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 19:05
Wazrach wrote:

They should be Aristotle switches , really horrible mx clones that are wildly inconsistent most of the time
That would explain it. Are these particularly uncommon, or?

Wazrach

10 Jun 2019, 19:15

I've updated the wiki based on my findings.

Dingster

10 Jun 2019, 21:14

Wazrach wrote:
Myoth wrote:
Tried making an account on both my mobile and computer - won't work. Haha.
You do not need an account. You could also use something like mixtape.moe or similar.

Return to “Keyboards”