Tautness of keyboard cases and sound

Wazrach

11 Jun 2019, 00:08

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering what the best way would be to get the best acoustics in a keyboard case. I'm messing around with the screw tightness of an IBM Model F 122, and every time I put the case back together, some parts of the keyboard sound muffled. It sounds looser. If I tighten all the screws as much as I can, the keyboard sounds more dead. I have a new old stock Model F 5155 that I also took out of its case, and it doesn't feel or sound the as crisp or tight as it did before I turned the screws for the first time.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Jun 2019, 03:03

Screws and nuts with washers are capable of compressing plates far more than sliding force fits with tabs.

Screws need only be tightened to replicate the original compression. As with a Model M "bolt mod" I advocate looser rather than tighter, so start loose and tighten only as much as necessary.

Wazrach

11 Jun 2019, 10:43

fohat wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 03:03
Screws and nuts with washers are capable of compressing plates far more than sliding force fits with tabs.

Screws need only be tightened to replicate the original compression. As with a Model M "bolt mod" I advocate looser rather than tighter, so start loose and tighten only as much as necessary.
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind for when I do a Model M bolt. Why do you think it should be loose?

Also, I was referring to the actual keyboard case and not the assembly. There's four 7mm nuts (I think) that keep the F122's assembly fixed to the steel pan, and three 5mm nuts that keep the case together. Struggling to find the optimal "tightness" of the screws. It probably doesn't help that the assembly was bent during reassembly, so it may not sit flush in the steel pan.

Fkazim

11 Jun 2019, 11:00

I have not got my IBM Model F122 yet but when I do I will report my findings about the assembly. I will be replacing the foam with 3mm neoprene foam as always. I won't be bolting the assembly as I never have and the feel and sound don't change much if at all with all my foam replacements without bolts as you have probably heard from my sound demonstrations. Will be sure to make a thread on my F122 foam replacement and restoration.

Return to “Keyboards”