What's this IBM floss mod I keep seeing mentioned?

rpgwaiter

20 Jun 2019, 16:21

So a while ago I did a floss mod to my Model F to fix the space bar without having to completely disassemble the thing. I drilled holes into the keywells of the spacebar and threaded floss through it to grab the retaining bar and hook it into the slots in the spacebar.

I've heard floss mods mentioned before, and I assumed it was the same thing as the spacebar thing, but apparently it changes the sound of the keys? Is it completely different than the floss mod I did?

Rezene

20 Jun 2019, 16:32

You put floss in the springs of your board and it reduces the pinging. it's not the same as what you did

Findecanor

20 Jun 2019, 16:39

Yes. It's in the wiki.
It removes the ringing but keeps the click. A length of fuzzy dental floss is inserted into the spring. I've done it on a IBM M2 and can confirm that it works.

I have also heard of people lubricating their springs with thick grease to achieve the same thing, but I think that would be messier and not as easily reversed.

rpgwaiter

20 Jun 2019, 16:52

Findecanor wrote:
Yes. It's in the wiki.
It removes the ringing but keeps the click. A length of fuzzy dental floss is inserted into the spring. I've done it on a IBM M2 and can confirm that it works.

I have also heard of people lubricating their springs with thick grease to achieve the same thing, but I think that would be messier and not as easily reversed.
Ooh, thanks for the wiki post. I think I'll try it out, although I do rather like the ping-y sound of the F. It looks like you just sort of shove the floss in there? You don't have to anchor it to anything? Also, do you have any floss brand recommendations?

SneakyRobb
THINK

20 Jun 2019, 16:55

The one that seems to get recommended most is called oral b super floss

like this

https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Larg ... 249824.jpg

Wazrach

20 Jun 2019, 17:12

Everyone is different. As I'm sure many people have established, I love ping. It's like the board is an instrument, singing to you as you type. Chyros mentioned the sound of the Model F is a novelty, but that's what I love about it. It's so strange, yet metallic and extreme.

The Model F feels better when the springs reverberate, as you can feel the vibrations through the keycaps.

Wazrach

20 Jun 2019, 17:13

SneakyRobb wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 16:55
The one that seems to get recommended most is called oral b super floss

like this

https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Larg ... 249824.jpg
Melvang used interior strands of paracord, which seems like a better alternative to something that belongs in your bathroom cabinet. :P

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

20 Jun 2019, 18:59

Findecanor wrote:
Yes. It's in the wiki.

I've mentioned this before. In 2015 IIRC I applied NGLI Grade 2 Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease to a Model M tester I had for a longevity test. Now, four years later, the grease is still on there, it has not hardened or separated. It did successfully deaden the sound of the board without killing the key feel.

I've been meaning to build a full grease-modded Model M for some time now. I think I have a spare Model M kicking around for this. It would of course need a full bolt mod as part of the process.

The application of the grease need not be all that messy. Sure, a couple of paper towels over newspaper, and gloves, are a must. But a small grease gun with a needle tip and a small toothpick makes application easy. IIRC the "correct" amount of grease is just enough to cover the spring coils, but not enough so as to fill the core of the spring.

As far as reversing, yes, it would be quite tedious. The grease is pretty tenacious. Maybe sonication would get the springs clean, and you'd need to wipe the entire barrel plate clean as well.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Jun 2019, 19:44

I once bought an amateur "Soft Touch" mod job that was botched as a "for parts or not working" at a very cheap price. I threw the flippers in the garbage and rebuilt it properly.

The original 8184692 Soft Touches seem pretty rare.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Jun 2019, 23:15

fohat wrote:
I once bought an amateur "Soft Touch" mod job that was botched as a "for parts or not working" at a very cheap price. I threw the flippers in the garbage and rebuilt it properly.

Lol I have like 6 of them 8-)

On another note, after reconstucting my F122(ANSI conversion) a long time ago, I noticed an unpleasant "buzzing" sound coming from a few of the keys instead of the angelic ringing. I floss modded my F122 and it became nice and clicky without the annoying buzz. I definitely recommend floss modding, but if you don't have that buzzing noise after keypresses I would just keep it stock. I think it might have something to do with replacing the foam.

Wazrach

20 Jun 2019, 23:48

Redmaus wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 23:15
fohat wrote:

Lol I have like 6 of them 8-)

On another note, after reconstucting my F122(ANSI conversion) a long time ago, I noticed an unpleasant "buzzing" sound coming from a few of the keys instead of the angelic ringing. I floss modded my F122 and it became nice and clicky without the annoying buzz. I definitely recommend floss modding, but if you don't have that buzzing noise after keypresses I would just keep it stock. I think it might have something to do with replacing the foam.
I don't know what this buzzing sound is that you're referring to, but I do quite like the raspy spring sounds. It's where you can hear the spring vibrating, not the same as the ping. Edit: Is this what you mean?: https://youtu.be/Mbt1EjDcCHU?t=25

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Jun 2019, 23:58

Wazrach wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 23:48
I don't know what this buzzing sound is that you're referring to, but I do quite like the raspy spring sounds. It's where you can hear the spring vibrating, not the same as the ping. Edit: Is this what you mean?: https://youtu.be/Mbt1EjDcCHU?t=25
It usually doesn't happen on all the keys, I'll see if I can record what I'm talking about when I have the time. Its not like the usually ringing after the keypress, its more like a brzzt sound that I find very unpleasant.

Return to “Keyboards”