So what's the 'classic' way to mount MX Browns?

HungerMechanic

22 Jun 2019, 02:38

There's a lot of hate on Browns, and I respect that. But I've seen differences in how they feel based on how they are setup.

Now, there's a new Group Buy for the JER-A06, and it got me thinking.

This is a PCB-mount keyboard, meant to emulate the classic Cherry boards that were plateless. People have mounted Browns on the JER-A06.

Is this how early MX Brown switches were intended to be used?

Because MX Brown got its start with experimental Cherry ergonomic keyboards, and boards like the G80-11800.

(A Compaq 11800 with new keycaps)

There's also the Kinesis Advantage, which was plate-mount, but soldered to a flexible circuit-board.

It was the early 'ergonomic' keyboards and Kinesis Advantage that was responsible for MX Brown's initial popularity as a switch. How does that differ from the way they are mounted today?

I ask because most factory keyboards using MX Browns are ANSI-style, and plate mounted [usually aluminum]. But I get the sense from reading posts here and elsewhere that MX Brown 'lost its way' after the 2000s and is today mounted in a harsh and unyielding way. Is this the case?

How were Browns originally intended to be mounted? I understand that the original G80-11800 felt pretty good.

zrrion

22 Jun 2019, 02:53

Considering cherry made and still makes them in plate and PCB mount versions, I'd say either way is the right way. I have a 11800 and it's a pretty good board for what it is. I like more tactility than browns provide personally, but they are pretty good. I have never tried browns plate mounted.

HungerMechanic

22 Jun 2019, 03:42

Thanks. Do you know off-hand which boards Cherry still makes with PCB mount? I think the 3000 is one of them?

Is that considered "good" for typing-feel? I know they are flimsy, but it will just be sitting at a desk.

I am thinking about getting one for typing at a desk.

zrrion

22 Jun 2019, 04:25

There isn't an objective standard for what is "good" tbh. Your best bet, if you want to know what is good for you, is to try one out yourself. I personally like plate mounted clicky switches, but I use a 11800 at work and it is okay. I'm finding browns too light for how I type though.

No idea about cherry's modern offerings.

Findecanor

22 Jun 2019, 13:11

HungerMechanic wrote:
This is a PCB-mount keyboard, meant to emulate the classic Cherry boards that were plateless.
Cherry G80-series and the JER-A06 are not directly comparable. In the PCB-mount G80-series, the PCB is laying on horizontal struts in-between each row. In the JER-A06, the PCB is bolted to the top of the case and does not touch the bottom.

Cherry's PCB-mount keyboards are also very roomy inside and made of plastic. Because of this, they can reverberate a bit...
Especially the modern winkeyful G80-3000, which is very roomy and is made from quite thin plastic. It has the same outer dimensions as the older winkeyless model, which had a larger PCB and thicker-walled case.

BTW. People liked the PCB-mounted Dolch, not only because of its colours but because of the feel. While the guts are a Cherry G80-1800 which lays on horizontal struts, the case is much stiffer. It lays also almost perfectly flat whereas Cherry's keyboards have more inclination.
HungerMechanic wrote:
It was the early 'ergonomic' keyboards and Kinesis Advantage that was responsible for MX Brown's initial popularity as a switch. How does that differ from the way they are mounted today?
I find that the switches feel different in the Kinesis Advantage because you press them at a different angle in their dished key wells, compared to pressing them on a flat keyboard.

BTW. Cherry MX Brown was once designed by Cherry especially for Kinesis on request.

HungerMechanic

26 Jun 2019, 00:16

I wonder if maybe I should order one of Cherry's keyboards. I understand that they aren't too expensive, and are being made to be essentially disposable (?).

Hmmm. How is that G80-3850? Is that one of the classic PCB-mount designs? It's relatively affordable where I am.

Otherwise, it's the G80-3000, which is more pricey.

Findecanor

26 Jun 2019, 00:37

HungerMechanic wrote:
Hmmm. How is that G80-3850? Is that one of the classic PCB-mount designs? It's relatively affordable where I am.
No. It is plate-mount and has weird keycaps.

Pretty much all Cherry G80-series keyboards are in the Wiki:
wiki/Cherry_G80-3850

And yes, new Cherry-brand keyboards are often overpriced ...
Many of us in Europe have got used ones pretty cheap.

Myoth

27 Jun 2019, 13:45

HungerMechanic wrote:
I ask because most factory keyboards using MX Browns are ANSI-style, and plate mounted [usually aluminum]. But I get the sense from reading posts here and elsewhere that MX Brown 'lost its way' after the 2000s and is today mounted in a harsh and unyielding way. Is this the case?

How were Browns originally intended to be mounted? I understand that the original G80-11800 felt pretty good.
In my honest opinion, MX Browns should be PCB-mounted, the reasoning is simple, with the flex PCB-mounting offers, most switches actually feel heavier than they are, and I personally think that the worst aspect of the MX Browns is its lightness, ... you get where I'm going.

Disclaimer, I do like lighter switches, between 50g and 67g is my sweet spot, so it's only preference in the end.

Myoth

27 Jun 2019, 13:47

HungerMechanic wrote:
The G80-3800 is however, PCB-mounted, so this is the one you might want to look out for.

Return to “Keyboards”