Taking keyboard case to car bodyshop to have it painted

Wazrach

15 Aug 2019, 14:46

Hi, I've been calling so many companies to ask if they'd be able to paint my IBM F127 case, and it turns out only the bodyshops are willing to do it. The industrial companies either don't do plastic or only do large applications. I need some advice to make sure I won't be screwed over by any "cowboys".

So one of the companies said they'd do it for £40 and it should take 10 minutes when they "get a moment". The other one said I'd have to prep the plastic first, then I'd be looking at around £20-£30. Is the first one just hoping to take my money and do a quick coat of paint that won't last? Need some advice here.

Is there anyone in the UK who would be willing to prep and paint the case for me? Looking to get it painted black. I'd like the push discs and feet to be grey.

Thanks!

Findecanor

15 Aug 2019, 15:04

If you just want it black and do not want it high-gloss or textured paint, then why not do it yourself with a spray can?
There is of course still some technique to it, but anyone can learn it.

Wazrach

15 Aug 2019, 15:19

Findecanor wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:04
If you just want it black and do not want it high-gloss or textured paint, then why not do it yourself with a spray can?
There is of course still some technique to it, but anyone can learn it.
I'd like to learn how to do it, but I really don't want to mess it up. Looks pretty complicated and looks like it will take ages to get amazing results. I'm just one of those people that needs someone right there telling me exactly what to do... -.-

I suppose I could practice on one of the XT cases that has been sitting around for eternity.

andrewjoy

15 Aug 2019, 16:32

First off if your going to try it yourself get good quality paint, there is nothing worse than you doing everything right and then having crappy paint not work.

I have used this company in the past ( they had a different name tho) https://www.dcpaintsolutions.com/ I spoke to a guy named Darren there who was quite helpful. There paint is good quality and not too expensive. You prob want Acrylic paint for plastic.

First off if your painting plastics you need a high build plastic primer. Your first coat should just be a dusting over the surface and build it up slowly from there.

You want to prep the surface first , make sure its super clean and scratch up the surface with an abrasive pad and clean with IPA or pre-paint after.

Your colour coat and top coat should be separate. Satin is a good match for computer plastics and just order the RAL code in whatever you want ( kind of a pain to find RAL codes in the UK but they do it).

You want to flat off your primer with a sotch bright pad or similar and then wipe it down with IPA or pre-paint to get the dust off it. Work in a clean environment ideally not outside as dust and shit can fall on your paint if your outside. If you have to be outside get a plastic box that will cover your work and place it over between coats.

Build up the paint SLOWLY for the primer and colour coat, you want to go slightly thicker on the top clear coat as it will not look very good if your coats are too thin, but still don't want it to run or look too "wet".

Always follow the instructions on your paint!

Another tip is if its cold put your spray can in a glass of warm water between coats, the paint will work better then, just dont forget to wipe the bottom of your can, you dont want water dripping on your new paint job.

I am no expert , but you can get decent results from taking your time and using good product.

swampangel

15 Aug 2019, 17:14

Wazrach wrote:
So one of the companies said they'd do it for £40 and it should take 10 minutes when they "get a moment". The other one said I'd have to prep the plastic first, then I'd be looking at around £20-£30. Is the first one just hoping to take my money and do a quick coat of paint that won't last? Need some advice here.
I would guess both companies get requests to paint aftermarket car parts. You could check google/yelp/etc for any reviews that mention this.

Did the second shop tell you what prep they want you to do?

Wazrach

15 Aug 2019, 20:17

swampangel wrote:
Wazrach wrote:
I would guess both companies get requests to paint aftermarket car parts. You could check google/yelp/etc for any reviews that mention this.

Yeah, he told me to sand the plastic. I'm not sure if he wanted ME to prime it, or if he was going to do it.

I would like to pay to have this keyboard painted, but I will absolutely experiment on some of the XT cases I just have lying around. I just wanna know if "it'll take 10 mins when I have a moment" for £40 is reasonable and if it will get me a high quality finish.

Here's the first place: https://www.alphapaintsltd.co.uk/

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Aug 2019, 03:28

Mostly off-topic, but you might want to look at reply # 14 in this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35 ... #msg658453

andrewjoy

16 Aug 2019, 10:38

Wazrach wrote:
swampangel wrote:
Wazrach wrote:

Yeah, he told me to sand the plastic. I'm not sure if he wanted ME to prime it, or if he was going to do it.

I would like to pay to have this keyboard painted, but I will absolutely experiment on some of the XT cases I just have lying around. I just wanna know if "it'll take 10 mins when I have a moment" for £40 is reasonable and if it will get me a high quality finish.

How many XT cases do you have ???? :shock: If there is one in good condition i would be willing to pay you for it !

Wazrach

16 Aug 2019, 10:39

andrewjoy wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 10:38
Wazrach wrote:
swampangel wrote:

How many XT cases do you have ???? :shock: If there is one in good condition i would be willing to pay you for it !
I have two, but they're in meh condition. I started sanding them but never got back to it.

andrewjoy

16 Aug 2019, 12:04

Ahh NP then.

I had one ( a case) and i was stupid and got rid of it. And now i have a NoS XT replacement internals and need a case for it, dont want to use my good XT :P.

Return to “Keyboards”