Atari ST keyboard USB converter [TMK based]

adamkov

09 Sep 2019, 10:28

Hi,

I'm a new member here, but a long time reader and I wanted to give back to the community.

A kind friend of mine gave me a Atari ST keyboard. I fell in love with it and wanted to use it on my PC.
I dug through Atari docs for keyboard protocol and made/coded a USB converter based on TMK and ProMicro.

https://github.com/adamkovesdi/tmk_keyb ... /atari_usb

This is a working alpha version, during initialization phase after plugging in the keyboard, one needs to wait a few seconds to get a reliable operation. In the future I may work on it for improving this behavior.

This is an action shot of the keyboard, rocking as an input device for a C64 emulator at a retro gaming party.

adamkov

09 Sep 2019, 10:29

[placeholder]

Findecanor

09 Sep 2019, 11:14

Cool! That's the keyboard with Cherry switches, right?

The keyboard should have two joystick ports at the back. Too bad that TMK doesn't have gamepad/joystick support, but that should be possible to add.

adamkov

09 Sep 2019, 11:31

Thanks. Indeed MX Blacks, nice linear switches.

adamkov

09 Sep 2019, 11:36

BTW decoding the joystick events are not harder than the keystroke events. In fact it's very simple.
Implementing joy support into TMK and towards the host is the hard part.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Sep 2019, 11:44

arduino stack supports mouse/joystick and all. if you don't mind losing TMK flexibility you could use that. I've build a keyboard out of it, it's not as fun as TMK but it totally works

Return to “Keyboards”