HELP with IBM M122 Conversion

karlmartin95

23 Sep 2019, 04:08

Hello!

I have an IBM M122 Keyboard and I tried to do the conversion to USB using an Arduino Pro Micro 5V 16mhz. First I soldered the pins correctly to PD0 (data), PD1 (clock), GND and VCC as Soarer and Hasu indicates. Then I flashed the Arduino with Soarer's firmware and next I uploaded the keymap, just like Soarer suggests.
When I connected the keyboard to my computer, It doesn't recognizes any key. I opened the HID listen and nothing.

So, I downloaded the Hasu's firmware, I flashed the Arduino again with the corresponding keymap and now, when I connect the keyboard to the computer I can see in the HID listen a scancode, with code "wFF". But nothing again, the keyboard just doesn't work. I saw in the Hasu's firmware that that code represents a "Reset" response from the keyboard logic board:

As you can see in the following image, the Hasu's firmware is recognized by Windows:

Some notes:
1) All DIP switches are Open (low). I tried with all low, all high and 8th switch high only and nothing.
2) The cables are well soldered.

Any ideas guys? Thanks!

Lbibass

23 Sep 2019, 15:37

Have you tried using QMK? Their pins are slightly different.

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tre ... m_terminal

karlmartin95

23 Sep 2019, 16:33

Lbibass wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:37
Have you tried using QMK? Their pins are slightly different.

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tre ... m_terminal
No, I should try. But I don't know why Soarer and Hasu firmwares didn't work.. I know some people that used the same keyboard with one of those firmwares and It worked. I have an extra IBM logic board to try.

jerkstore

23 Sep 2019, 17:03

When you say hasu's firmware, are you referring to his AT converter or his Terminal converter?

When you plug in the keyboard with Soarer's, does it show which keyset the board is recognized?

karlmartin95

23 Sep 2019, 17:56

jerkstore wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:03
When you say hasu's firmware, are you referring to his AT converter or his Terminal converter?

When you plug in the keyboard with Soarer's, does it show which keyset the board is recognized?
1) I'm referring to his Terminal converter.
2) No, when I connect the keyboard to the pc using the Soarer's I can't see the keyset, I see nothing.

jerkstore

23 Sep 2019, 18:16

Can you confirm that this is how you have it connected to the keyboard?

http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1390876.html

karlmartin95

23 Sep 2019, 19:20

jerkstore wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 18:16
Can you confirm that this is how you have it connected to the keyboard?

http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/ibm_1390876.html
Yes, the connections are correct. Also, I tested a second logic board from another M122 and same error. I'm using Hasu's firmware.

swampangel

23 Sep 2019, 20:04

There's a discussion here that involves removing a jumper from the board inside the case viewtopic.php?t=22168 Not sure how many varieties of M122 there are, so I don't know if applies to your situation.

karlmartin95

23 Sep 2019, 20:12

swampangel wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:04
There's a discussion here that involves removing a jumper from the board inside the case viewtopic.php?t=22168 Not sure how many varieties of M122 there are, so I don't know if applies to your situation.
My M122 keyboard is this:

The first M122 version, and in the back has a dip switch with 8 switches. All the switches are Open.

jerkstore

23 Sep 2019, 20:13

Can you confirm if that you're plugging the keyboard into the converter before plugging the converter into the PC?

Do you know if you're using TMK configured for "interrupt" mode? It may also be worth trying USART and Busy/Wait.

karlmartin95

23 Sep 2019, 21:01

jerkstore wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:13
Can you confirm if that you're plugging the keyboard into the converter before plugging the converter into the PC?

Do you know if you're using TMK configured for "interrupt" mode? It may also be worth trying USART and Busy/Wait.
1) Yes sure, the keyboard is connected to the converter and then to the PC.
2) I really don't know, I used the latest Hasu's terminal-usb converter so.. there should be no problems.

karlmartin95

04 Oct 2019, 20:01

I solved this problem using the QMK firmware, so.. just try that and I'm sure that it'll work. Also, try to put all the switches low except the 8th, put it high.
Now I have some problems with the RIGHT SHIFT key, I can't insert it properly in the keyboard, it gets stuck.

swampangel

04 Oct 2019, 21:26

Maybe try cleaning or removing/reinserting the barrel insert that the stabilizer post goes into?

jerkstore

05 Oct 2019, 19:27

Interesting that QMK made it work. I wonder what the underlying problem actually was. Should work the same in TMK, as long as the "modes" are the same (i.e. does it work off of interrupts, busy/wait, etc).

Maybe post a video of the right shift key you're having trouble with. Probably the easiest solution would be to shell out a couple buck and buy a new cap. Could also just be some weirdness with the fit for the "stabilizer" insert thingy.

Return to “Keyboards”