Re: Arrow Keys BENEATH Spacebar? Can It Be Done? Who Do It Now?

depletedvespene

02 Oct 2019, 14:46

Sounds to me that a split space bar, with one of the split spaces to become an Fn key, might solve a lot of your issues.

MANY compact form factors ("60%" and smaller) schew the arrow and nav keys entirely, putting them in a layer accessed by Fn+key combos. Some of us don't like it because it complicates matters when pressing arrow keys with a modifier (Ctrl-Left becomes Fn-Ctrl-Left, etc.), but if moving around a document without moving your arm a lot is your most pressing need, this might be a good solution for you. 75% and 65% form factors retain the arrows and nav cluster keys, but in an additional column on its right side.

If I were in your position, I'd try to borrow a programmable 75% keyboard with a split space. Try out the arrows and HUDE keys in their typical position first... and if that is still not good enough, try to map the Fn layer so that both WASD and HJKL are mapped to the arrow keys, and build off your ideal layout from either starting point. HTH!

swampangel

02 Oct 2019, 15:14

Sounds like you might get along well with an ErgoDox or other split keyboard with thumb clusters.

Otherwise, I like depletedvespene's idea of using a keymap with an arrow cluster defined under both hands. If you're willing to sacrifice, say, your windows keys to be Fn keys instead, then it's easy to hold the modifiers with one hand while you navigate with the other.

Return to “Keyboards”