Signature Plastics custom doubleshots - Great experience!

wyse_guy

12 Oct 2019, 18:01

Just a quick testimonial, I had a great experience working with Signature Plastics on custom ABS doubleshots in late 2019.

The process was simple, I created my own design on KLE, sent a screenshot of it to Melissa at Signature Plastics, and basically had my custom keycaps 6 weeks later. Signature was very professional, friendly, and easy to work with. It was no more complicated than ordering custom t-shirts online, perhaps slightly more expensive.

These keycaps were made to support my homebrew POS software which I use in my convenience store business.

To support both the Wyse WY-50 and WY-60 keyboards, I had two different styles made. Signature Plastics still makes stepped keycaps in all the weird sizes like 1.25 wide, which the Wyse 50 keyboard has.

The color scheme is inspired heavily by the Verifone Ruby POS system, considered the omnipotent god of POS keyboards in my industry.

Really enjoyed this project! It's so cool to be able to get new keycaps for old Wyse keyboards, with the exact same font and perfect aesthetic match because it's from the original manufacturer still in business. What a treat!

Image
NOS vintage Wyse WY-55 serial terminal, NOS vintage Wyse ASCII keyboard (840338-01) w/ Cherry MX blacks, mix of factory keycaps and new 2019 Signature Plastics keycaps.

Note the beautiful job Signature Plastics did matching the new custom "00" key on the numpad to the adjacent vintage factory "0" key. These are ~30 years apart in age.

Image
Wyse WY-50 dumb terminal, Wyse 50 keyboard (840059-01) w/ Cherry MX blacks, mix of factory key caps and new 2019 SP key caps.

Image
Color scheme inspired by Verifone Ruby Supersystem POS keyboard.

Keycaps are RA (red), ON (orange), YY (yellow), VV (green), VBV (teal), BO (blue), RDA (purple) on Wyse 60 keyboard only, and TGH (brown).

Legends are WFK (White as F**K), BBI (factory dark navy blue), and VBV (teal).

Image
DCS profile looking great!

Image
The Clear key was inspired by the SA 1976 keyset. VBV legend on TGH keycap, looks as great in person as you think it does, highly recommended!

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

12 Oct 2019, 19:48

Glad to see that these are still useful! Screw you, vintage black harvesters!
Any chance on getting them to make a full replacement set for Wyses (or at least the spacebar and nonstandard keys)? I'd buy a couple.

User avatar
Muirium
µ

12 Oct 2019, 22:03

Seeing a Google Pay sticker on a CRT… what is this strange delight? Vintage homebrew POS, that's what! You came to the right place with this inspired madness! Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
User101

13 Oct 2019, 08:03

Absolutely beautiful. Glad to see someone using the wyse instead of harvesting the switches

forter4

14 Oct 2019, 14:44

Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to create completely custom keycaps?

wyse_guy

14 Oct 2019, 15:33

forter4 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:44
Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to create completely custom keycaps?
More than an iMac, less than an iMac Pro.

When you dream of your own custom doubleshot set, you're imagining quantity 104+ keycaps. The real cost is in creating a permanent legend mold for each one. At $25 each, a full keyboard gets pricey.

But it's a one-time expense, and I was only doing sets of 31 keycaps. Signature Plastics was very reasonable.

If you find yourself in my situation - you need less than half a keyboard of keycaps, it's for a thriving business you expect to continue growing, and you're SURE about the legends because you make your own software - it's justifiable to save and spend for. Kind of like buying a nice mechanical keyboard in the first place.

forter4

30 Oct 2019, 00:28

wyse_guy wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 15:33
forter4 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:44
Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to create completely custom keycaps?
More than an iMac, less than an iMac Pro.

When you dream of your own custom doubleshot set, you're imagining quantity 104+ keycaps. The real cost is in creating a permanent legend mold for each one. At $25 each, a full keyboard gets pricey.

But it's a one-time expense, and I was only doing sets of 31 keycaps. Signature Plastics was very reasonable.

If you find yourself in my situation - you need less than half a keyboard of keycaps, it's for a thriving business you expect to continue growing, and you're SURE about the legends because you make your own software - it's justifiable to save and spend for. Kind of like buying a nice mechanical keyboard in the first place.
ahh thanks...yea, I hit them up and it was a lot more than I was anticipating lol

If I can't find what I'm looking for, I may go that route

wyse_guy

16 Oct 2020, 04:27

New 2020 pastel keycaps arrived today!

We had more made with the same legends, but different colors.

Image
Top row L-R = BFQ (blue), YCC (yellow), RCS (pink), GTD (dark grey).
Bottom row L-R = WA (white), VCO (green), RCJ (purple), GSX (light grey).

All legends are BBI.

The visibility is great in low light. Perfect for a dimly lit restaurant or store.
Image

Comparison of same key from last year's batch and this year.
Image

Interesting how the lines where the colors mix are so different!
Image

Had them throw in a Linux mod kit for my home 840358-01 EPC keyboard while they were at it:
Image
(BBI text on GTD keys)

Image


Review:

Signature Plastics is a delight to work with! They are friendly, professional, and they produce a great product we love using every day. Happy to pay for it.

The keycaps feel good to type on, look good, and fit perfectly on the Cherry MX black stems. Good tight fit. Zero chance of keycaps flying off during excited typing fits.

This year we paid a total of $1,577.83 (shipping included) and got:
* 1 new legend (the rest were holdovers from last year)
* 12 sets 35 doubleshot keycaps, using 8 colors and 34 different legends.
* 7 sets of 9 blank keycaps.

It works out to ~$3.26 per adult lego.
Image

Shoutout to Vecmar Corporation for offering new keyboard skins for old Wyse keyboards.

Rayndalf

19 Oct 2020, 11:18

So you basically ran a whole "group buy" (well more like a commercial order... the kind of thing that probably still makes up most of Signature Plastics business) to pimp your POS system? That's actually pretty badass. Have you thought about selling any of the extra keys you had made? I have some DCS boards that could use some bling.

wyse_guy

19 Oct 2020, 18:10

Rayndalf wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 11:18
So you basically ran a whole "group buy" (well more like a commercial order... the kind of thing that probably still makes up most of Signature Plastics business) to pimp your POS system?
Yes. We created our own POS software to support the old Wyse CRT terminals, and then we had the key caps made to support our in-house software.
Rayndalf wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 11:18
Have you thought about selling any of the extra keys you had made? I have some DCS boards that could use some bling.
Absolutely! PM me with what you want. I had extras of the Linux EPC set (the Ctrl/Caps Lock/Return set) made for this reason.

M9HM

19 Oct 2020, 19:47

Id love to have some "cash" keys on one of my boards, those are really cool.

User avatar
Yasu0

19 Oct 2020, 20:22

The way you speak about this company makes me wish I had a reason to order from them.

Don't go there, but I'm in for some "clear" and "00" caps too for next year's order if we're going there. Don't though.

wyse_guy

19 Oct 2020, 20:48

M9HM wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 19:47
Id love to have some "cash" keys on one of my boards, those are really cool.
PM me, the dark green & white ones from last year's set are discontinued and available for sale.

wyse_guy

19 Oct 2020, 20:50

Yasu0 wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 20:22
I'm in for some "clear" and "00" caps too for next year's order if we're going there.
Hopefully this year's order was my last for a while. I would need to open several more stores to use up all the keycaps I already have.

The SA 1976-inspired Clear keys from last year's order are available; PM me!

Image

wyse_guy

19 Oct 2020, 20:53

Quick note, my huge thanks to whoever designed Keyboard-Layout-Editor.com and pre-loaded it with the Signature Plastics keycap colors. The work that went into all that must have been tremendous! The colors are spot-on, even coming off a Kinko's printer:

Planning:
Image

a WysePOS 60 keyboard in real life:
Image

M9HM

Yesterday, 09:32

wyse_guy wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 20:48
M9HM wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 19:47
Id love to have some "cash" keys on one of my boards, those are really cool.
PM me, the dark green & white ones from last year's set are discontinued and available for sale.
Thanks a lot, but I dont have any MX compatible board anymore.

I used to have two (gamerish stuff, nothing special) but I did a lot of crazy stuff to them (involving spray paint and wood cases XD) and gave them to my sister and my best friend because they had shitty keyboards, so now I only have buckling springs. Thanks for the offer, if I get my hands on any mx board again, I will write you!

Post Reply

Return to “Keyboards”