Recommendation on quiet keyboard for clicky alps lover?

bchoward

02 Nov 2019, 21:19

My office just moved to a new location with an open layout, and my coworkers have threatened me with a terrible fate if I don't switch to quieter keyboards. So I'm looking for a good recommendation, since I find most quiet keyboards disgustingly mushy.

I love my Matias MIni Tactile Pro, which I use about 50% of the time (the other 50% being a KBP V80 with Matias Clicky switches). The Apple IIc keyboards (Alps Amber, not the Apple Hairpin (ew)) is the best one I've ever used, although I also love my old reliable Model M. I find Cherry switches a little shrill and generally less appealing than Alps, though I'm open to trying...

The last few days, I've been trying out a Matias Mini Laptop Pro (Matias Quiet Click), but I find it a little loud and am not the biggest fan of the quiet click switches. I think there must be something with a better feel-to-noise ratio.

So any good recommendations?

I've got an IBM 5140 kit on the way (https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5140-PC-Co ... 2749.l2649), which will take any alps style switch. Was thinking about trying out Alps Orange (though I've got a Apple Standard Keyboard M0116 with orange switches that's far from quiet). Would also be interested in maybe cream dampened (though wouldn't that be really close to the Matias Quiet Click)?

Although I'd like to avoid extensive modifications to a keyboard, I'm open if it's not too complicated and will get the result I want.

Thoughts?

swampangel

03 Nov 2019, 01:58

I was disappointed in Quiet Clicks at first but they grew on me. I have them in a KBP V80 which I love, and an Ergo Pro that would be great except for its flakiness. They're certainly not perfect but they're pretty good.

You're right that orange/salmon alps are not especially quiet.

The real answer might be Topre, but I wouldn't know. Likewise in cherry-compatible land I guess maybe you'd want zilents or aliaz switches.

Elrick

03 Nov 2019, 03:55

swampangel wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 01:58
The real answer might be Topre, but I wouldn't know. Likewise in cherry-compatible land I guess maybe you'd want zilents or aliaz switches.
Also don't forget that once you move away from the famous ALPs switch onto other switches, you will lose that familiar feel and touch of the ALPs forever. You'll be lost in limbo trying desperately to recapture that same affection you had with the ALPs.

There's a reason why ALPs keeps on going, simply because there is no other similar sounding/feeling switch in existence here.

It's like trying to find another girlfriend that would act and do the very same things, your old one once did. You will fail in every way possible unless you're willing to accept the monotony and boredom of the current one in your life.

Findecanor

03 Nov 2019, 12:07

bchoward wrote:
I've got an IBM 5140 kit on the way (https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5140-PC-Co ... 2749.l2649), which will take any alps style switch.
It seems like there would be some work required to get it running as a working keyboard.
There's this old thread with other people adding a controller, which perhaps could get you started.
bchoward wrote:
Would also be interested in maybe cream dampened (though wouldn't that be really close to the Matias Quiet Click)?
Yes, the Matias Quiet Click is supposed to be a recreation of the Cream dampened.

It should be possible to open up and mix and match sliders and tactile leaves between different Alps and Matias switches. Dampening is a property of the slider, it having rubber bumper or not. Tactility and click are properties of the leaf spring. One thing to look out for is that when you put them together, the original orientation of the slider matters: and if you get that wrong it will not feel the same.

I have heard some theories about the mating surfaces on the bottom of the slider should matter also, but I dunno: I think the differences can be felt only be the real connoisseurs..

swampangel

03 Nov 2019, 13:20

Elrick wrote:
Also don't forget that once you move away from the famous ALPs switch onto other switches, you will lose that familiar feel and touch of the ALPs forever. You'll be lost in limbo trying desperately to recapture that same affection you had with the ALPs.
I don't really feel the same. I've been happy typing/playing games with model m buckling spring, clicky smks, and kailh box whites.

CountNoctua

03 Nov 2019, 13:32

Topre or a Topre-clone like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ABKO-K935P-45g-C ... B06XCGJNGM

No, it's not the same as Alps, but I think a very good rubber dome will likely be the best option for a compromise between sound and feel. Silenced Topre isn't silent, but I've found even regular Topre to be inoffensive in volume (unless you are really mashing the keys, in which case almost anything will be loud); it's lower pitched and not clicky, obviously, so it should be suitable for most open-office environments.

There may be some good modern MX tactiles that can be silenced without losing too much tactility, but I haven't looked at that too closely. You'd probably have to frankenstein something like Halos/Hakos as a base or look at something like Zilent V2 switches (on my list of switches to try, but not sure how quiet they actually are). Once you get into that side of the custom tactiles, though, you're getting what others have described as "Topre-like" switches in terms of feel.
Last edited by CountNoctua on 03 Nov 2019, 14:01, edited 7 times in total.

purdobol

03 Nov 2019, 13:40

swampangel wrote:
I don't really feel the same. I've been happy typing/playing games with model m buckling spring, clicky smks, and kailh box whites.
+1
Sold entire collection (with few exceptions), simply because it was collecting dust.
Now using only one type of switch that suits my needs.

Elrick

04 Nov 2019, 00:26

swampangel wrote:
I've been happy typing/playing games with model m buckling spring, clicky smks, and kailh box whites.
DAMN you :evilgeek: .

I thought I was speaking with another ALPs fanatic here, you will never understand our addiction to this highly valued and cherished switch.

Just makes me so mad when people pretend to be ALPs users, when they instead would rather use another switch and that makes NO difference to them. Almost supreme blasphemy being committed here on DT central :shock: .

Have to walk away totally disgusted with you Swampangel, you use to be up here in the keyboard user level of distinction but now you reside down there, in the sewer of shame :( .

Although the IBM BS saves you from permanently being chained down there forever, you still have time to change your course towards the Light and Goodness of owning and using something decent, which will always be an ALPs based keyboard.

bchoward

04 Nov 2019, 02:42

Elrick wrote:

It's like trying to find another girlfriend that would act and do the very same things, your old one once did. You will fail in every way possible unless you're willing to accept the monotony and boredom of the current one in your life.
Yes! This is why I'm trying to find an Alps-based board that doesn't make my coworkers hate me. Having the chance to use really nice Alps boards for the last 2 years has made every day a little bit better.

It's like driving a BMW. My Honda's great and gets me where I need to go. But when I get in my friend's BMW and feel the leather seats, the better acceleration, etc., becomes an enjoyable experience in and of itself, not merely a way from A to B like my Honda.

So what's the Alps board that will do this but quietly?

bchoward

04 Nov 2019, 02:52

CountNoctua wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 13:32
Topre or a Topre-clone like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ABKO-K935P-45g-C ... B06XCGJNGM

No, it's not the same as Alps, but I think a very good rubber dome will likely be the best option for a compromise between sound and feel. Silenced Topre isn't silent, but I've found even regular Topre to be inoffensive in volume (unless you are really mashing the keys, in which case almost anything will be loud); it's lower pitched and not clicky, obviously, so it should be suitable for most open-office environments.

There may be some good modern MX tactiles that can be silenced without losing too much tactility, but I haven't looked at that too closely. You'd probably have to frankenstein something like Halos/Hakos as a base or look at something like Zilent V2 switches (on my list of switches to try, but not sure how quiet they actually are). Once you get into that side of the custom tactiles, though, you're getting what others have described as "Topre-like" switches in terms of feel.

CountNoctua - thank you for the recommendation. I've never tried a Topre switch in person, but I have watched Thomas's (Chyrosran22) reviews, which left me less than impressed. But for the price of the keyboard you linked, that may well be worth exploring....

I should say that I also have a Sun Type 5 keyboard (Fujitsu rubber dome with slider). It's very quiet. Every time i bust it out, I like it for about 30 seconds because it's so smooth, but then I start pining for a more Alps-like tactility curve....

bchoward

04 Nov 2019, 02:59

Findecanor wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 12:07

It seems like there would be some work required to get it running as a working keyboard.
There's this old thread with other people adding a controller, which perhaps could get you started.

Yes, the Matias Quiet Click is supposed to be a recreation of the Cream dampened.

It should be possible to open up and mix and match sliders and tactile leaves between different Alps and Matias switches. Dampening is a property of the slider, it having rubber bumper or not. Tactility and click are properties of the leaf spring. One thing to look out for is that when you put them together, the original orientation of the slider matters: and if you get that wrong it will not feel the same.

I have heard some theories about the mating surfaces on the bottom of the slider should matter also, but I dunno: I think the differences can be felt only be the real connoisseurs..
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the IBM board will require that much work - I'm pretty handy soldering and I've got plenty of experience making arduino-based converters, so the work that needs to be done is well within my capabilities.

That said, I've never taken apart a switch, and doing mix-match sounds like a ton of work for the 80+ switches I would need, not to mention the cost. So I'm a little hesitant to start modifying switches in any serious way, though I don't mind mixing/matching switches with boards that require soldering...

I do also have an SGI ps/2 keyboard that came with an old Indy I bought a few years ago that I've kept in storage since. I remember thinking it had white alps, but it may actually be cream dampened. Perhaps it's time to give that a shot as well.

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Nov 2019, 03:28

bchoward wrote:

Dampened cream Alps are probably your best bet. The AEK2 "Nimitz" is a solid heavy keyboard with all the keys in standard ANSI position even if the legends are off for use under Windows. A Griffin iMate is the most common hardware converter or you can easily wire something up yourself.

They are not very attractive (in my opinion) and hard to find in un-yellowed cases, and the ones that I have bought have often had one or more dead switches (easily replaced if you have a soldering iron), but still a recommendable workhorse.

Elrick

04 Nov 2019, 03:30

bchoward wrote:
Current selling model keyboard would be anything Made by Matias which has his own particular switch known, as the Quiet Pro series.

Has a tactile but quiet sound but you are indeed getting advice from a deaf-like ALPs user, who has always used loud--clicky ALPs switches all his life.

For me anything that has a low level of sound isn't worth using in real life under any circumstance. Whether it be at Work or at Home the sound must be heard by others in the vicinity, without haste or discrimination ;) .

bchoward

04 Nov 2019, 04:08

fohat wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 03:28
bchoward wrote:

Dampened cream Alps are probably your best bet. The AEK2 "Nimitz" is a solid heavy keyboard with all the keys in standard ANSI position even if the legends are off for use under Windows. A Griffin iMate is the most common hardware converter or you can easily wire something up yourself.
Good idea - that may be on my short list if it turns out the SGI keyboard isn't the same. And even if it is, I'm still kind of interested because I have a lot of Macs from the same era. I remember using an AEK2 for a while in high school working on our school newspaper... I recall it being way superior to the rubber dome mac keyboards that were becoming popular, but nothing close to my beloved IIGS keyboard.

bchoward

04 Nov 2019, 04:10

Elrick wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 03:30
bchoward wrote:
Current selling model keyboard would be anything Made by Matias which has his own particular switch known, as the Quiet Pro series.

Has a tactile but quiet sound but you are indeed getting advice from a deaf-like ALPs user, who has always used loud--clicky ALPs switches all his life.

For me anything that has a low level of sound isn't worth using in real life under any circumstance. Whether it be at Work or at Home the sound must be heard by others in the vicinity, without haste or discrimination ;) .
Both points covered above, but I already have a Matias Mini Tactile Pro with the Matias quiet switches, and that's what I'm currently using at work. It's meh. I would definitely prefer to use nice loud switches, but coworkers have made clear that it's not an option.

Elrick

05 Nov 2019, 04:58

bchoward wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 04:10
I would definitely prefer to use nice loud switches, but coworkers have made clear that it's not an option.
Then suggest to those co-workers, to go look for work elsewhere ;) .

When you're the boss everything goes along to your requirements, not theirs.

Return to “Keyboards”