Teensy 3.6 keyboard adaptation

pingmaster

27 Nov 2019, 20:33

I've got a Teensy 3.6 and some alps board that I want to convert. I've got wires and all, what should I do software wise. Not looking for anything overly complex...just something that will work. Could I just write a quick little loop and type function?

Muirium
µ

27 Nov 2019, 23:21

As far as I know, the whole Teensy 3 series is completely useless for keyboard controllers and converters. All the software (TMK, Soarer, etc.) is on Teensy 2.

That's not to say someone keen, knowledgable and very patient couldn't start their own converter project, from scratch. But it's quite a lot more work than the simple loop you imagined aloud!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Nov 2019, 00:16

I'm not aware offhand of something that works on Teensy 3.6. Kiibohd has Teensy 3.2 support.

https://github.com/kiibohd/controller

You may want to follow viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23072 as I dive into firmwares.

MMcM

28 Nov 2019, 18:55

QMK also supports Teensy 3.2 and LC.

The challenge with later boards there is ChibiOS, the RTOS it uses, which doesn't yet support them.

Muirium
µ

29 Nov 2019, 08:46

Oh, that’s me schooled on Teensy 3 then! Good to hear someone’s supporting them in the keyboard controller project space. Though Teensy 3.6 being completely different from 3.2 seems like an unforced branding error on PJRC’s part. Call it Teensy 4 already!

Speaking of Teensy 3.2 and LC: is anyone using them and got some threads about it?

pingmaster

29 Nov 2019, 19:00

I'm just going to return it and get a Teensy 2.0.

MMcM

06 Dec 2019, 16:32

Muirium wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 08:46
Speaking of Teensy 3.2 and LC: is anyone using them and got some threads about it?
Teensy LC is cheaper than Teensy 2.0, though not as cheap as a knock-off Pro Micro.

Although I'm not sure that the faster, more powerful, MCU makes a difference for keyboards, there are other random features of these that might be useful.

For example, there is support for inverting the signals on the UART. For protocols with TTL levels but RS232 polarity, like Sun or Convergent, you need an external inverter or software serial on the Atmega32u4.

I'm not yet clear how good the ChibiOS serial is or how well the HAL is integrated with TMK / QMK. I've been meaning to try it and will start a new thread if I ever get to.

Return to “Keyboards”