Can you put a model f xt into a bigfoot case?

Rezene

06 Dec 2019, 12:53

I saw someone selling just the case of a bigfoot for whatever reason and it got me wondering if you could buy both cases and swap them around depending on what you wanted at the time

kmnov2017

06 Dec 2019, 14:23

yes, you can

sharktastica

07 Dec 2019, 22:38

Yes! I just did it today after receiving my Bigfoot yesterday and it's as simple as dropping the F XT internals in and calling it a day!

Well... If you're still going to use the original XT cable with an external Soarer's like I am, the only fiddly part is the ground because the Bigfoot case's cable hole is at the centre of the case rather than aligned on the side, so you'll have to bunch a little bit of the cable to allow the ground to reach a screwhole to secure it with. And after that, the middle of the back panel ever so slightly bulges due to the cable being bunched up. But this is acceptable for me since this swap is a temporary thing - I'm only borrowing the F XT internals from my actual F XT since I'm waiting on parts to convert the original Bigfoot board (Teensy, jumper wires, USB cable, shrink wrap, etc.). If you're using internal Soarer's, however, this wouldn't be an issue.

For now, it's indeed a quick and simple way to make use of an excellent chassis! If you need any more details or photos, I can provide, but it should be a two-minute job at most!

SneakyRobb
THINK

07 Dec 2019, 23:16

sharktastica wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 22:38
Yes! I just did it today after receiving my Bigfoot yesterday and it's as simple as dropping the F XT internals in and calling it a day!

Well... If you're still going to use the original XT cable with an external Soarer's like I am, the only fiddly part is the ground because the Bigfoot case's cable hole is at the centre of the case rather than aligned on the side, so you'll have to bunch a little bit of the cable to allow the ground to reach a screwhole to secure it with. And after that, the middle of the back panel ever so slightly bulges due to the cable being bunched up. But this is acceptable for me since this swap is a temporary thing - I'm only borrowing the F XT internals from my actual F XT since I'm waiting on parts to convert the original Bigfoot board (Teensy, jumper wires, USB cable, shrink wrap, etc.). If you're using internal Soarer's, however, this wouldn't be an issue.

For now, it's indeed a quick and simple way to make use of an excellent chassis! If you need any more details or photos, I can provide, but it should be a two-minute job at most!
Hi, yeah as sharktastica says. You can do it. There are differences ie soarer/qmk about converting it, but the physical dimensions are the same

sharktastica

07 Dec 2019, 23:54

SneakyRobb wrote:
Hi, yeah as sharktastica says. You can do it. There are differences ie soarer/qmk about converting it, but the physical dimensions are the same
Good point! It's not even a conversion, per se, since whatever you tack on to the board has to function as the Bigfoot's CPU.

(Also, congratulations on the award, SneakyRobb! :D Well deserved, and your convo on GH with Soarer himself has been invaluable for me for my Bigfoot project!)

Rezene

08 Dec 2019, 00:12

I guess I'll have to find a bigfoot case eventually. I don't think I could ever use it a daily driver and I can't spend full price for a novelty that I would need to spend more time on converting. So just using my old xt board seems perfect.

sharktastica

08 Dec 2019, 00:33

Fair enough! All things considered, you're simply missing out on higher feet, terminal-style keycap legends that you could source elsewhere (a few of them are the same as battleship/battlecruiser keycaps, with battlecruisers currently decently priced around £69-89 here in the UK), and a built in palmrest. The F XT is one of my favourite gems, and it has same build quality, same switches, more info out there to help you troubleshoot any problems, and you don't have to worry about funky logic boards that need augmentation.

Rezene

08 Dec 2019, 01:01

sharktastica wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 00:33
Fair enough! All things considered, you're simply missing out on higher feet, terminal-style keycap legends that you could source elsewhere (a few of them are the same as battleship/battlecruiser keycaps, with battlecruisers currently decently priced around £69-89 here in the UK), and a built in palmrest. The F XT is one of my favourite gems, and it has same build quality, same switches, more info out there to help you troubleshoot any problems, and you don't have to worry about funky logic boards that need augmentation.
the only reason I want one is because I think the bezels and ridiculous feet size is hilarious :lol:

SneakyRobb
THINK

09 Dec 2019, 00:12

sharktastica wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 23:54
SneakyRobb wrote:
Good point! It's not even a conversion, per se, since whatever you tack on to the board has to function as the Bigfoot's CPU.

(Also, congratulations on the award, SneakyRobb! :D Well deserved, and your convo on GH with Soarer himself has been invaluable for me for my Bigfoot project!)
Hey thanks. Yeah it was a treat to talk to Soarer.

Muirium
µ

09 Dec 2019, 00:36

Was this back in the day, or has he reappeared?

sharktastica

09 Dec 2019, 12:55

Muirium wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 00:36
Was this back in the day, or has he reappeared?
Back in the day, unfortunately, on this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48950.

Return to “Keyboards”