ADB Keyboard with Futaba MA Switches?

Polecat

07 Dec 2019, 19:21

I couldn't find anything in a search, and I know it's a longshot, but I have to ask. Is there an ADB keyboard out there with Futaba MA switches? I'm resurrecting a Mac IIsi, and I'd like to find a really clunky keyboard for it. I have some white Alps boards that would work, but I was just curious if there's a Futaba option?

DDD

10 Dec 2019, 05:47

In the most ten years, I didn't find any Futaba MA switch keyboard with the ADB cable.
I have the AT 101layout with clicky Futaba MA switch(futaba mount) propose to sell if you want it.

Polecat

10 Dec 2019, 05:59

DDD wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 05:47
In the most ten years, I didn't find any Futaba MA switch keyboard with the ADB cable.
I have the AT 101layout with clicky Futaba MA switch(futaba mount) propose to sell if you want it.
Thanks, but it has to be ADB to work on the Mac IIsi. I have several AT/PS2 keyboards with Futaba MAs (Datacomp, Leading Edge, and my converted Franklin), but like you none have an ADB interface. I'm thinking of buying one of the little Datadesk keyboards on ebay, since those apparently worked on ADB and have some sort of extra clicky Alps clones.

DDD

10 Dec 2019, 06:18

It seems like not many people love futaba here.
Mine is the E&E keyboard, the rear Chinese made from 1993.

Elrick

10 Dec 2019, 07:46

DDD wrote:
In correct, there are some that LOVE it but they are so damn rare hence why orgasm over something that you can never own and touch in real life?

If you have one, then enjoy it because they are not made anymore and most that have superb conditioned futaba's, would never sell them.

Only junked futaba's get sold these days, which is really unfortunate :( .

Muirium
µ

10 Dec 2019, 11:40

Elrickcheck: Futaba is neither rare nor highly regarded.

I’ve no idea about ADB boards though. Never paid any attention to those besides Apple’s and NeXT’s.

arkanoid

10 Dec 2019, 13:47

Try getting SKM-2001 if you have any chance.

Chyros

10 Dec 2019, 14:46

Muirium wrote:

I’ve no idea about ADB boards though. Never paid any attention to those besides Apple’s and NeXT’s.
I'm contemplating doing a redux video on Futaba MA at some point, but after all this time and several re-tests, I STILL don't know if I like them or not xD . They just feel and sound so unusual!

Polecat

10 Dec 2019, 17:09

arkanoid wrote:
Oooh, oooh, thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for! If there's one out there I will find it.

I like Futabas because they take me back to the early days. My first computer was a PBM-1000 CP/M machine from MicroPro and I used it with a Televideo 925/950 terminal. The Televideo had Futaba MD switches. My first IBM-compatible computer was a Televideo TPC-II luggable with Futaba MAs, which I still have. The Futaba switches beat me up for extended use, but they're perfect for small jobs because they suit my two finger typing. This Mac is just for fun; I'm not going to be writing a novel with it.

DDD

12 Dec 2019, 07:10

Elrick wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 07:46
DDD wrote:
In correct, there are some that LOVE it but they are so damn rare hence why orgasm over something that you can never own and touch in real life?

If you have one, then enjoy it because they are not made anymore and most that have superb conditioned futaba's, would never sell them.

Only junked futaba's get sold these days, which is really unfortunate :( .
I'm not just have one. I have all variants switch that wiki mentioned, especially the 2 keyboard with early type. I think I have 6 keyboard with MA series. If someone want to try, I have one E&E to sell.

DDD

12 Dec 2019, 07:19

Polecat wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 17:09
arkanoid wrote:
Oooh, oooh, thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for! If there's one out there I will find it.

I like Futabas because they take me back to the early days. My first computer was a PBM-1000 CP/M machine from MicroPro and I used it with a Televideo 925/950 terminal. The Televideo had Futaba MD switches. My first IBM-compatible computer was a Televideo TPC-II luggable with Futaba MAs, which I still have. The Futaba switches beat me up for extended use, but they're perfect for small jobs because they suit my two finger typing. This Mac is just for fun; I'm not going to be writing a novel with it.
That's great to hear you have the TeleVideo TPC-II, I have some MA switch from it but not own the whole keyboard. Hope to see more high quality photo of it.

Elrick

12 Dec 2019, 07:36

Chyros wrote:
Muirium wrote:

I'm contemplating doing a redux video on Futaba MA at some point, but after all this time and several re-tests, I STILL don't know if I like them or not xD . They just feel and sound so unusual!
That is the attitude that gets spilled around, you will either LOVE them or hate them. There is no in between.

I actually do love their 'Clicky' versions that give a unique feel when pressed compared to any other switch that was ever made. They're like some kind of lost Unicorn of keyboard's where most either were forgotten or ditched away into land fill.

Maybe because most of these style of keyboards had this type of 'cheapness' associated with their build, hence why most here on DT look down on them.

Here on DT most LOVE the IBM Heavy Iron Keyboards because that signifies superiority due to size, weight and build. It's the USA kind of thinking here, Keyboards built using Steroids ;) .

Chyros

12 Dec 2019, 09:38

Elrick wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 07:36
Chyros wrote:
Muirium wrote:

That is the attitude that gets spilled around, you will either LOVE them or hate them. There is no in between.

I actually do love their 'Clicky' versions that give a unique feel when pressed compared to any other switch that was ever made. They're like some kind of lost Unicorn of keyboard's where most either were forgotten or ditched away into land fill.

Maybe because most of these style of keyboards had this type of 'cheapness' associated with their build, hence why most here on DT look down on them.

Here on DT most LOVE the IBM Heavy Iron Keyboards because that signifies superiority due to size, weight and build. It's the USA kind of thinking here, Keyboards built using Steroids ;) .
Well, I think that's not really doing IBM full credit to be honest :p . For me it's really their switches above all that stand out. Good build quality is nice of course, but I've got boards way heavier than IBMs that I don't like them anywhere near as much (for reference; most of those are Key Tronics xD).

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2019, 09:56

Exactly. I’d take a Model M2 over a Zenith ironclad any day, as the first wins in feel while the second only feels when you drop it!

Chyros

12 Dec 2019, 11:32

Muirium wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 09:56
Exactly. I’d take a Model M2 over a Zenith ironclad any day, as the first wins in feel while the second only feels when you drop it!
Haha, well, I wouldn't have picked that example personally; SKCL Green is still among my favourite switches xD . Typing on them right now!

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2019, 12:00

Aye, taste is always personal. I just associate heavy chassis with tack sharp, clicky switches like Model F and beam spring. So heavily built linears just don’t do it for me. Also, my Zenith has ABS caps which feel too shiny on the fingers. I associate shiny cylindricals with MX and the 90s rubber domes I grew up with.

Return to “Keyboards”